Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:32:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLe Grand Mystère - A Lighthearted Detective Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Le Grand Mystère - A Lighthearted Detective Game  (Read 10393 times)
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »

I really like something about the color scheme and style, even though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. I guess the unsaturated colors and lack of hard outlines... Nice! I wanna see more locales and characters! I also like the menus and interface, but not sure why...  Hand Thumbs Up Left

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 11:33:38 PM »

Hey Canned Turkey,

Please tell me, have you played Hotel Dusk as well? It's one of my FAVS, maybe fourth fav of all time so far. Phoenix Wright is def a good series. I recently played Dual Destinies and IT WAS GOOD! Also your artstyle reminds me of Cave Story perhaps that's what waru99 was thinking about as well. I like this detective game you've got so far, can't wait to test mai logic skullz.  Screamy

Maybe you can give your clues a backstory. Like think of the clues as characters sorta. Kinda like someone's belongings. If you've played Fragile Dreams, it has a concept like this. Where these items/clues have a backstory about it and help enhance the lore of the world.

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
Canned Turkey
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

@waru99
Thank you! I really have been trying to pin down my own artstyle and it's incredibly motivating to see someone notice it Smiley I am still working on finishing writing the story, I will start work on  the areas of the game when I know what rooms and characters I'll need.
Your game monster garden looks very interesting, I enjoy how quirky the theme is.

@jason_longia
I have played through most of Hotel Dusk and it is one of my favorite DS games ever.
With the clues, because the game will center around them, they will range from single use notes to key items. There will be a mix of both so that 1, the player won't get overwhelmed by meaningless clues, and 2 that there is always the question of "is this clue still relevant?" The play-style that I want to encourage is the player paying hard attention to every detail, without skipping over any clues or dialogue, while not punishing a less thoughtful user with too much frustration.
Also, I love your music! I listened to some tracks of yours and it seems we enjoy the same sort of style Smiley

I made another music track! This one will play in the town and on any in-between areas that don't have their own theme.
https://soundcloud.com/cannedturkey/town

Stay tuned for more updates, I am getting close to having a rough synopsis, and at that point I can get to work on areas and characters and the save system.
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »

@Canned Turkey

I like paying attention to details. It's why I like secret areas in games like Ratchet and clank, Crash, Spyro, Wario Land 4 etc.
Any game that has that mechanic that makes you question the "seemingly obvious". Got that right kid?  Noir

Yeah I like moody music and upbeat music as well. Crash bandicoot being one of my inspirations as well as
Nier, Chrono trigs, Final fantasy and JRPGS in general!

I gave "Town" a listen, and "Main Theme" the chords and pitches used are pretty sweet. Gives me that detective feel. I also like the melancholy feel to them. Kinda reminds me of Dark Souls' music a bit with the longer notes and how it stays for a bit. And sure just keep doing what you gotta do gumshoe...  Cool

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »

How about just "Cattherine" instead?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »

that seems less good to me

Canned Turkey
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »

Thanks for the compliments Jason!

Catherine is the correct spelling and Catt has two 't's to not be too tongue and cheek. It's not the final title so I'm not too worried about the double wording.
Flotsam is looking awesome and is on my list of "indie games to look forward to", I love the colorful artstyle and a new take on the city building genre.

Next update will be storytime  WTF  my least favorite part of working on this has finally been settled, I have the premise set and the main plot just needs details filled out. From here on out, this devlog will have spoiler free as well as in-depth updates in each post, so that anyone interested in playing when the game is done won't have the mystery and stuff shown to them.
Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »

Thanks for the compliments Jason!

Catherine is the correct spelling and Catt has two 't's to not be too tongue and cheek. It's not the final title so I'm not too worried about the double wording.
Flotsam is looking awesome and is on my list of "indie games to look forward to", I love the colorful artstyle and a new take on the city building genre.

Next update will be storytime  WTF  my least favorite part of working on this has finally been settled, I have the premise set and the main plot just needs details filled out. From here on out, this devlog will have spoiler free as well as in-depth updates in each post, so that anyone interested in playing when the game is done won't have the mystery and stuff shown to them.

Hah yeah, I guess I was trying to convert it into something cleaner and simpler. I've seen too much Justin Timberlake in "The Social Network", it's eating creative brainpower.

Every time I think of a detective game the landing page image of Jenny LeClue flashes before me. I personally find it a boon to have the name reflect the gameplay/theme more than the look of the character. Have you tried going in that direction?

Thanks for the kind words btw! We're doing the best we can Smiley

As for the spoiler-free updates, yes! I would even go as far as spreading gifs of zones/scenarios randomly that people that are following this can't tie up the sequence.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »

@Judwah
Yes the name will be a forward call to a major element in the end of the story, sort of how breaking bad/better call saul makes their titles vague enough to be interesting but they click as you realize why it's called that.

Background for the menu, the size of the manor (previously a castle island but this fits the story better) and the perspective are different than how it will look in-game, I just liked this angle for the titlescreen. I'll add a logo when the name is finalized.

Sorry for the lack of hearty updates, it's been a busy month for me and my family.

Later on I will be talking over details and even if this is a WIP devlog, I really want to keep the entire adventure unspoiled for people wanting to play it Smiley Please keep any/all story discussion spoiler free (if not black highlighted)

Here is an example but it's just the synopsis so nothing is really given away here.

Story update: Catherine Catt is called in the early morning by the local Gendarmerie, a new case has opened up. Not just any case, the local manor which, besides the groundskeeper's copious trips to the market for food and books, has been locked away from the town for decades has opened it's gates and reported a theft. The residents prove themselves an odd bunch as they describe the indescribable story of their prized family heirloom being stolen away in the dead of night. A priceless violin of great historical value. There are many strings of clues that will lead to the uncovering of just why this family is so reclusive, multiple capers not limited to secret lovers and missing silverware(3-5 side quests, as many as I can implement), and above all; just why was the prized violin stolen and not anything far more valuable?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:45:02 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »

Man I am tired :/
I was wondering why the update felt so empty, and I just realized it's because I didn't show off the actual bulk of what I got done in the last two weeks.

I've started on the interior for Catherine's house, all the props I make will be reusable for every other interior.

utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 01:24:08 AM »

just a comment on this : maybe you don't need the character appearing in big on screen when she is giving you a simple description of what she sees
it feels like it's a big UI for that + the animation of the dialog box sliding in and out can make you feel a little nauseous after a while
Maybe you should consider keeping this for dialogs or important monologues while having something more discreet for this kind of interaction...
Just an idea Smiley

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 05:11:11 AM »

Love the graphics Gomez looks fun.

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Canned Turkey
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »

@Hoj, Thank you!

@utkiupe, Thank you for the wonderful suggestion, I agree it works far better like this.

Ahh it is been nearly two months

Not good.

But I am back to work and thank you for reading this because it means you are being updated, and I really appreciate the interest in my game!

The finished titlescreen!

An intro to set the mood. Sound effects and music are working, so the phone rings on the final slide to cue the intro music.

Practicing the flow of dialogue, this conversation may or may not be final, but in any case the opening sequence of waking up and leaving your house is done;  Embarrassed  Finally. Hopefully other sequences won't take nearly as long to make, I am sure they won't though as most of the work was done implementing systems like the textboxes and savestates, which are 100% working, and writing your own save system is really sucky and stupid but it had to be done as GMstudio's saving system is garbage.

Story update: The old story is out the window basically. Anyways, the next part of the game will be the intro to the town (Where you have to solve a small mystery to gain access to the manor) leading you to Le Mec Manor, where the majority of the game will be spent, although there will be some back and forth to the town hopefully.
utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »

nice to see some progress Smiley
Le Grand mystère, funny that you use a french title !

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
Canned Turkey
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »

@utkiupe
Thanks~

Not much to update other than I drew Catherine's house and tiled the pavement for around the town.
More and more fine-tuning systems and sounds, I got the music working as well.

This may be the slowest devlog on earth but stay tuned! I have full days with culinary and driving school so when that is over in around a month, regular dev-speed will be back.

BIG STORY UPDATE (First real spoilers for the final stuff.):
At Le Mec manor, a portrait was stolen. Within your investigation into just why it was, you learn that (currently undecided townsperson) is the actual creditor to the lavish lifestyle that the Le Mec family claimed. They visted the manor and found the portrait of the original Le Mec, who's eyes are the wrong color to be the parents of the current "Le Mec" father. You must find real evidence that the townsperson is who the money is owed to, and while you do, they fall in love and deny the manor/fortune in the hopes of finding a more whole life with their new partner. The main theme of the game will be contentment and how the townsperson shows Catherine (who starts the game being discontent with her place) that it's okay to live a slower life.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:00:44 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:35 AM »

Sign me up for more of this shnazz!  Coffee

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »

posting for follow. Loving the very smooth animations of the UI, and crisp font. Interesting art style!
Canned Turkey
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »

@qMopey @nathy

Thank you for the wonderful comments! I had originally thought getting back to this project would be on a shorter timeline, but a few things have gotten in the way. I have been making assets for the town and the next update will include that.

Story update, the story updates are unessecary and not very helpful, so that part of the devlog is out for now.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »

I dunno! I really like story updates. I think the key for dev logs on writing is to focus more on process than on content. I'm interested in how and why devs make narrative decisions. Like, how are the mechanics informing the writing, etc?

Stay healthy and don't rush back into things! Time away from projects is inspiring. I've been having a hard time getting back to my project also because of school. (Not culinary school, sadly.) It's partly Steven Universe inspired so maybe you'd be interested!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »

The issue with updating the story specifically is that it changes so much, each devlog update will just be contradicting what I've had planned. For the process part of it though, I will be going in depth into the state based system I have for the story progression in-game.

Your game, ballad of the space bard, seems interesting. I hope you find your way to finishing it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic