Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:03:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWorst Game Names
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Worst Game Names  (Read 8793 times)
_glitch
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:53:46 PM »

If you have examples for bad or absurd game names, post 'em here. Maybe this thread will show people, who struggle with naming their game, what to do not.
Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »

Here's a couple:

Divine Divinity
Anything that relies on loaded words.
OFF (great game, but awkward title)
Anything that has "8-bit" (bonus points if it's used incorrectly) or "Pixel" in its name.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »

game names that are not easily googled is a big one. if you name your game something like 'pizza' people are not going to be able to find it, even if they remember its name

another is just random letter combinations that can't be pronounced or remembered easily, like kalthahnax or ubaoitroaht

AutumnPioneer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:13:01 AM »

Things like "The quest for the 9 gems" etc. Names without any other depth or meaning than what exactly is on the surface
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

Saw a game at GDC called Adventure Quest 3. How a game so generic sounding got 3 titles astounds me.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
_glitch
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »

Names that contain "tiny" or "clash".
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »

I think the future of games is unnamed games that can't be identified in any way and just sort of phase in and out of existence due to a funky corner case in the uncertainty principle as it pertains to digital information
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »

Someday I will make a game and name it only with whitespace characters

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
WJHollyART
Level 0

Software Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

This is a bit of a specific instance, but I never liked the name Deus Ex because whenever I try to recommend it to somebody I know who is just getting into games they think I'm jokingly recommending "Day of Sex".

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

This is a bit of a specific instance, but I never liked the name Deus Ex because whenever I try to recommend it to somebody I know who is just getting into games they think I'm jokingly recommending "Day of Sex".

are you sure you're pronouncing it right? it's supposed to be pronounced 'doo'es X', not 'day'us X' -- you need to use the latin pronunciation of it. think of the word deuce, as in deuces wild (in card games), that's how deus was pronounced in latin usually

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:11:35 PM »

minecraft is the worst game name ever
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »

are you sure you're pronouncing it right? it's supposed to be pronounced 'doo'es X', not 'day'us X' -- you need to use the latin pronunciation of it. think of the word deuce, as in deuces wild (in card games), that's how deus was pronounced in latin usually

...Said no Gregorian choir member or student of Latin ever.

It's day-oos, with a bit of clipped finish, although it's a romance language so you're supposed to roll right into the next word. Here, for example, let me google that for you: http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+pronounce+deus+ex+in+latin&*. Top five results include an audible youtube example and an example from Cambridge Dictionary, in both British and American accents.

I always thought it was too smart a title in reference to the content of the games, but, making people feel smart is a sales tactic.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »

never heard it as day'us, and i'm pretty sure as ஒழுக்கின்மை said that it's pronounced deuce

and in this choir, i don't hear the "y" as in day, it's more like dae oos     [deɪəsˈɛks ˈmækɨnə]

edit:
and the cambridge website pronunciation has it as : deus sounding as in death, still no way to confuse with day

considering that deus is god, and in other languages you have dieu (french) dios (spanish) derivated from the latin word deus, there's no logic to have it pronounced day'oos.

Amadayoos Mozart lol

re-edit:
should also be taken into consideration that Zeus and deus share the same roots, and it's uncommon to say Zay-us.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:55:47 AM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »

I hate clever/corny novelty titles like, shadow man 2econd coming.

VRex7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »

I remember seeing this game and it unrelooked and played so awesome but the name was so bland, I believe it was called Space Wars. Cool, I get it, wars in space but for what it was as a game the name was a complete miss.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

game names that are not easily googled is a big one. if you name your game something like 'pizza' people are not going to be able to find it, even if they remember its name

Or you make something so good and memorable that it becomes the standard for that word. Like when you're trying to find pictures of the band Journey and google only shows you rendered deserts.

TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »

Anything with the word "horror" "death" or "magic" is automatically generic

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »

if it's the latin pronunciation y'all're pondering:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deus#Pronunciation