Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:38:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWorst Game Names
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Worst Game Names  (Read 8892 times)
_glitch
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

Anything with the word "horror" "death" or "magic" is automatically generic

Don't forget "dark", "quest" and "forgotten"

Darker Magick
Forgotten Horrors
Death Quest

idk these sound like ok names to me

They sound not bad, but can you remember them? There are hundreds of games with similar names out there. I don't think that, if you give your game such a name, people will remember it and say: yeah, this game I will never forget, because it has such an innovative title.
If you choose this name for example for the title behind the ':' then it would be really cool.

An example: Awesome Game: Forgotten Horrors

I think that would make a good title.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »

They sound not bad, but can you remember them? There are hundreds of games with similar names out there. I don't think that, if you give your game such a name, people will remember it and say: yeah, this game I will never forget, because it has such an innovative title.

Dark Souls
_glitch
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »

I don't know if this game was the first one with such a name, but it has a huge impact on the gaming community. You can remember it, because it is great and you can connect something to it. But can you connect things to a shitty game with almost the same name? I don't think so.
Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »

If you ask me, the best names are unusual names that draw attention to themselves: Garry's Mod, Space Funeral, Everyone's Gone To The Rapture, Dr Langeskov (I'm not typing the full thing), Ittle Dew, etc.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »

I don't know if this game was the first one with such a name, but it has a huge impact on the gaming community. You can remember it, because it is great and you can connect something to it. But can you connect things to a shitty game with almost the same name? I don't think so.

it's almost as if the content of the game matters more than whether its name is memorable
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »

-alone in the DARK
-DARKstalkers
-perfect DARK
-the DARKness
-the long DARK
-heart of DARKness

if you make a good game, people will remember it no matter how shitty your title is. The advantage of words such as dark are that they are generic hence easier to remember but at the cost of not appearing at the top list in search bars.
typing dark in steam research gives you 118 result pages.
Dra'nakyuek the village stomper is an original name, but it's no easy to remember.
typing Dra'nakyuek in steam research gives you 0 results. if you name your game this way, you'll have no competition at all.

Generic doesn't mean bad.

(2013)DARK (the videogame) is bad because the game is shitty.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:01:34 PM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
_glitch
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »

-alone in the DARK
-DARKstalkers
-perfect DARK
-the DARKness

if you make a good game, people will remember it no matter how shitty your title is. The advantage of words such as dark are that they are generic hence easier to remember.
Dra'nakyuek the village stomper is an original name, but it's no easy to remember.

Generic doesn't mean bad.

Okay, I see

And one thing is to say: there are no more originals left. You would have to invent new words if you want to think of a name that has never been used before...
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 01:23:34 AM »

Or just use one of the thousands of languages that are not English. c;

_glitch
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 01:27:03 AM »

Or if the name is translated very badly
_glitch
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »

Or just use one of the thousands of languages that are not English. c;

If you can speak or write the name, it shouldn't be a problem Wink
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »

if you make a good game

Everything comes back to that, doesn't it?

Turns out, folks care about content.
But I kinda wanna make a game called Horror: Death Magic, now. :/

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 05:21:13 AM »

and in this choir, i don't hear the "y" as in day, it's more like dae oos     [deɪəsˈɛks ˈmækɨnə]

edit:
and the cambridge website pronunciation has it as : deus sounding as in death, still no way to confuse with day

considering that deus is god, and in other languages you have dieu (french) dios (spanish) derivated from the latin word deus, there's no logic to have it pronounced day'oos.

Also, hello, and you have arrived at the intersection of the English "day", the phonetic "dae", and accents. Please be welcome and have a seat. :O

_glitch
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:16 AM »

Okay, let's ask the other way around: what are the best names for games? And does a game need a good name to be good? What defines a 'good' name?
eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »

Princess Pony once topped the apple store in the two most highly searched categories.

Apple changed the ranking system since then, though.

If the name increases the sales of your videogame ten fold then you win!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »

Dark Souls

also cave story. some of the best and most famous games have the simplest, most generic names. or even stupid names that nobody can remember, like tales of maj'eyal. a good name helps, but a bad name isn't a death sentence on a game or anything

also re deus, yeah, there are various ways to pronounce 'day' too, so maybe you are in an area where day sounds like deus. but here in the northeast US, deus could never be confused with day oos, if only because we tend to draw out the a in day, it's a really long vowel, whereas in deus, the de part of it is short. but there are probably english-speaking areas of the world that pronounce day as 'dey' rather than 'daaaay'. where i am, day sounds more like yay or hey than it does like de (spanish) or yeh.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:10:37 PM by ஒழுக்கின்மை » Logged

PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »

Final Fantasy

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic