Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412111 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 06:28:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOne Game Per Month, 100% done (wohoo)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: One Game Per Month, 100% done (wohoo)  (Read 4148 times)
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

Hello!

I am making one game per Month in 2017 and am aiming towards updating this devlog every week.

This devlog will hopefully help me to reflect on what I am doing every week.
Feedback is always appreciated!

As we are currently in the 3rd Month of this year, I will now quickly summarise the first two games I made in 2017

January: Pampgun

In this little Game you reload by swiping your finger back and forth accross the keyboard (which creates the totally cool shotgun reloading sound in real life)!
Since you use the keyboard to reload, you move AND shoot using the mouse, which makes it pretty hard to control.

]What I did wrong with Pampgun:
Made Sprites before the game was anywhere close to being done.
Did not think about the difficiult controls when balancing the game.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/688192

February: Selectorium

I abandoned my original project in the last possible moment in february so I made selectorium in a few days.
Selectorium is a very small game, where you have to choose 3 abilities with which you have to beat the level.

]What I did wrong with Selectorium:
Some abilities require you to hold down a button to be used effectively and I never explained that.
The small screen size was really annoying when designing levels. A bigger screen size would have resulted in much more interestening levels.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/689530

And now to this months game:

March - Serf
This project is still in its babyshoes.

You play the mute servant of a crazy king and your only way to communicate is by grabbing and throwing speechbubbels. The King wants to take over the world and sends you out to do all the footwork for him.

The game will be a story driven 2d Platformer. I am making a demo version of it in March, will apply to Stugan with it and then make it into a full game in the Summer.

Here is a gif of the dialogue system (the visual style of the game has changed a lot, but more on that next week):

Oh you can also play all my pre-2017 games for free on newgrounds:
http://stuffedwombat.newgrounds.com/games/

Thanks for reading!

See you next week (when i will actually talk about the developement process of my current game ^^),
josh
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:21:09 AM by stuffedwombat » Logged
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »

I really like the picking up objects and creatures one at the bottom! That is super cute and nice.

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

the style and creativity with mechanics is pretty impressive considering such a short and, id assume, frantic development schedule!

chariospirale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:46 AM »

nice !

Ryan Taylor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

Great mini games so far! Good luck with creating a game each month. Definitely not an easy task. But it looks like you do not lack creativity!

Games Released:
* debris

Thank you,

Ryan Taylor
Game Developer
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 12:40:01 AM »

We are 12 days into March and I have run into some problems.

The "picking up and throwing mechanic" worked fine and I had a lots of fun changing the visual style of the game and adding various objects to interact with.

Sadly, i was stuck on everything but the core mechanic.
I rewrote the story three or four times, cut a lot of features, made 2 small Design Documents and nothing I planned really felt like a whole, coherent game.
The concept has promise and I will defenitely return to this Idea, but again, I felt it would be better to switch projects after 3 days without any results to my work.

Then I had a couple of 0% days, where absolutely nothing happended at all, which is something I will try my hardest from now on to avoid.

The project I am now working on is a turn based rougelike shooter, where Bullets are not affected by the turn based nature of the game.
It is still very early in developement, but I hope to finish the whole thing in the next 7 days, so I can prototype a more experimental game I also really want to make Smiley

I guess what I can take away from this week is that I should work on my endurance. I eventually want to make a longer and bigger game, but i will never learn the skills I need for that if I keep switching projects every week.

See you next week, hopefully with a link to the turnbased rougelike game Wink

(also thanks for the kind words, it is much appreciated)

gantt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

So far each games have its own unique characteristics, really looking forward on this! Smiley

Founder & Chief @Bluword<br />Read the stories of game developers at Bluword
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »

Its the third Sunday of March!

The turn based rouge like (where the bullets you shoot are not affected by the turn based nature of the game) I talked about last week has proven to be an interestening concept, a horrible pitch and not fun at all.

This is how it looked when i realised that I would not be able to make this fun in a few weeks (as usual, i might come back to this later on):

So after another brief period of indecicieveness I just straight up stole an Idea from Daniel Linssen and made a game where your light source is also your ammo.

Below is a gif of the game in its current state:

(this gif is really laggy i am sorry for that)

This is (once more) not the game I will use to apply to stugan.
More on that next week!
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

another sunday, another devlog, another new project..

But today it is 100% complete!

Yes!

You can play this months game right now!
Woho!

click here for game: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690826

It was made in 2-3 days which was 1 day longer than i hoped.
But like it and did not want it to be bad, so I went the extra day.

This leaves me with only 4 days to finish my prototype for Stugan.

(internal screaming)

Follow me on twitter or you will miss all the important stuff i never say!
https://twitter.com/wombatstuff
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »

That pizza animation and the whole game looks great. Impressive for just a few days. It actually feels fresh and new and makes me wanna play it (and I never play top down shooters).

Good luck with Stugan, too! Hand Thumbs Up Left

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »

What happened to the game with the hand? Hand Point Left
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:36 AM »

What happened to the game with the hand? Hand Point Left

it was almost done, I had about 20 levels and then I realised that it did not feel coherent or good.

So now it is in the "maybe later" drawer Smiley
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »

Another sunday, another short update on my games stuff!

I have applied to Stugan with a very prototypy prototype of Shword Story:

I have started working on my first commercial game, which will be based on February`s Selectorium and currently looks like this:

And will hopefully soon look like this:

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 03:02:17 AM »

This sunday I do not really have anything to show you Smiley

I spend the week prototyping different control schemes for the game you can see above this post.
Yesterday I finally game up with one and this week is dedicated to creating a lot of abilities, enemies and polishing where polish is possible so far!

feel like I am making good progress Smiley

(Since the game I am working on right now is not for the one game/month thing, I think I will make a seperate devlog for it. Is that ok?)

(This month I will also FINALLY be able to participate in a ludum dare. I wanted to do that for pretty much exactly one year now, but there was never time. Until now!!)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 03:22:50 AM »

Great ideas! Love seeing the creativity here

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

Ok, i was wrong Smiley

Implemented a sword and some dummy enemies to test physic stuff Smiley

Aw thanks!
I am not very good at coding or drawing, so I try to be as creative and innovative as possible in my games :
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »

Another Sunday, another short update on games stuff  have been working on Smiley

This months game will actually be made during Ludum Dare, so i am currently focusing completely on my first commercial game (for which I will not make a second thread right now ^^).

Visually the game has gotten much closer to its final form!

After about 7 changes to the core mechanic and much despair when none of these changes felt good enough after a day of playtesting and tweaking, I just came up with a system that allows me to have both puzzle- and rougelike elements in the game, while also staying true to the original prototype and I am very excited to create that tomorrow Smiley

I have also started to draw 4 small pixel art mockups per day, here is a gif compilation of that:

See you next week, when I will hopefully have a solid prototype to share with you Smiley
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »

Oh shit its sunday again!

I am currently working on a really cool game (i hope) for ludum Dare, no time to write my weekly update Sad

You can follow the developement of my ludum dare game in this twitter thread though:

https://twitter.com/wombatstuff/status/855598395926491136

have a nice rest of the sunday!
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »

Oh damm, I forgot to update this devlog last sunday!

Shame on me.

Ok, so my Ludum Dare Game "Therrain" can now be played online!
Maybe leave a vote if you also participated?

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/therrain-1

Therrain - quick post mortem

I have wanted to make a tetris like game for ages now.
The theme small world was perfect for this.

the majority of developement time was spend reworking the block placement & block physics system.
On day two I completely reworked all the art (and am pretty hapy with how it turned out)

the greatest problem of this little game is that it has no real tutorial to explain that you can double jump.

The End

I also started working on a game about patience, where i will only work on one small thing everyday.
So yesterday I wrote its elevator pitch, tomorrow I wil choose a color palette, the next day i will make some test art, etc.

the game should come out in like 3 months i think Smiley

Oh and I am also going to make a gam about pleasuring the coountryside for an australian video game bar Smiley

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »

Heyo!

I have not updated this devlog last month because I did nothing.

Last month I waited for motivation and inspiration to hit me instead of putting in a continous effort.

Wanting to create something really awesome, I discarded every prototype I made for one that I thought would be much better, effectively not getting anything done at all.

I did not learn anything new by failing to deliver, I was just reminded of the importance of constant work and sticking to projects.

Here is to a productive June.

(to avoid failing my "one game a month" thing, I made a shitty game on the 31st of may.
you can look at it here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/694326

I am not sure if I consider my one game a month project a failure now. i will continue to try to make on per month, but maybe I have to do it again in 2018 to really feel like i did it fair and proper.)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic