Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:13:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVOS
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: VOS  (Read 5255 times)
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »

Update time! Now that I have a OS object and the concept of processes in the system, I was able to add a functional taskbar. Tabs are added to the taskbar as apps are opened, and conversely tabs are removed as apps are closed. Also, clicking on a tab with bring its corresponding window to the front.

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:41 AM »

This is a pretty cool Idea!

very curious to see what come out of this Smiley

(you probably know "windowframe", but its creator also made a game that consists of two executables that have to be run at the same time on different PCs to beat it, maybe that could also inspire you?)
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

This is a pretty cool Idea!

very curious to see what come out of this Smiley

(you probably know "windowframe", but its creator also made a game that consists of two executables that have to be run at the same time on different PCs to beat it, maybe that could also inspire you?)

Thanks! :D I know of Windowframe (I haven't played it, but I follow Managore). Which game of his consists of two executables?

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »

Update: I've finally implemented the start menu equivalent in this system, which I'm just calling a launch menu for now. All of these updates are up on voshost.tech if you'd like to try it out for yourself. Here is the menu in action!

Basically all I'm doing is reading all of the folder names in an app directory on the system's "filesystem", which is just a directory in the project, and configuring the menu to launch the corresponding index.html files located in any one of the app folders.

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »

Which game of his consists of two executables?

its hopslide

https://managore.itch.io/hopslide
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30:12 AM »

Which game of his consists of two executables?

its hopslide

https://managore.itch.io/hopslide

Thanks! I'll check it out.

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »

Couple of updates today:

1) Chat app (socket.io integration)

I needed a way for the apps in this game to be able to talk to each other. I decided to use socket.io after a bit of searching. I had heard of the library before but I never really had a use for it until now.

To test socket.io, I went through a tutorial of theirs to build a chat app. In addition to being able to chat across multiple windows, the chat is actually a functional online chat (though incredibly barebones). Anyone connected can talk to everyone else that is connected. Here it is in action:

2) Roguelike

Now that I am able to get applications to talk with each other, I thought I'd build a couple of small games and get them to talk with each other. I thought a roguelike would appropriate for this setting and I've never built one before, so I started to build a small roguelike. I am using rot.js to build this, and going through some tutorials and the docs.

I haven't made much progress on it yet, but here's what I have so far:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 02:16:36 AM »

Heh, this was partially the idea for our last LD game, tho we never had the time to really do it properly, but you'd explore the whole room for clues, not just the computer. It's an interesting idea!

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

Heh, this was partially the idea for our last LD game, tho we never had the time to really do it properly, but you'd explore the whole room for clues, not just the computer. It's an interesting idea!

Sounds cool! I imagine something like this would be hard to pull off in the LD timeframe. And thanks! Smiley

hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »

I took a little break there, but I've come back with updates for the roguelike. I learned how to implement interaction with rot.js with their tutorial, and added boxes you can open up. I also implemented a little messaging window at the bottom to give the player information about what's going on.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic