Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:56:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnbound The Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unbound The Game  (Read 2583 times)
Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »

Unbound is a 2D puzzle-platformer game where you have the power to manipulate a portal-sphere which links different worlds.

Wishlist on Steam: http://tinyurl.com/unboundworldsapart

Game Play

The main game mechanics will be around the sphere. You will find out that there are creatures/environment which behaves different to this portal. The monster are usually more powerful than you so you have to find clever ways to kill them by using the sphere. This sphere can act strange on you and you can lose some core abilities inside the sphere.

Story

The story is going to be discover during the game ( of course Smiley ). The player will find some missing puzzle pieces which will reveal the story in the end. There will be two stories. A simple story at surface and another one with a deeper meaning Anyways I think that everybody will understand something different from the story.

We decided that there are going to be 4 worlds to discover. But there is a long way in development till there Smiley

Engine

We decided to use Unreal Engine 4. I know what you think. Why UE4 for a 2D game? Well my team decided to use Unreal to learn the engine better for possible 3D future projects. I think that it's a great engine which offers a lot.

About Us:

We are Alien Pixel Studios, a super tiny gamedev team from Romania. Unbound is our second game and it's still in development. For this project we teamed with up Square Heads Games for the game art and design Smiley

You can follow us on our social media to get in touch and follow the development.

Alien Pixel Studios:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Square Heads Games:
Facebook | Twitter

More art and gifs to come

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:50:44 PM by Calibanul » Logged

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:29 AM »

Another mechnic from Unbound using the old placeholder art

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:01:43 PM by Calibanul » Logged

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 01:26:45 AM »

Guys, this is a level from Unbound where you have to discover the environments in order to make progress.

What do you guys think?

Any feedback will help us a lot.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by Calibanul » Logged

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:04:34 AM »

Concept art for the game:D

Also we are preparing for East European Comic Con to do the first iteration for the game. See how it feels and people find out about the game.

As always if you have any feedback please do tell Smiley

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:08:51 PM »

Spent some time working on the sphere VFX in Unreal. And I managed to get this effect, really close to the concept art:

Let me know what you think. I know it's a bit pixeled but donno why :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:15:33 PM by Calibanul » Logged

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »

Looks really interesting, lots of room to experiment with this concept, looking forward to seeing more : )

Out of curiosity, what do you imagine will happen if you come out of the portal while you're inside the geometry of the other world? Does it restrict you? do you die? or are you just physically stuck until you open the portal again?

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:10 AM »

Thank you ThilDuncan, I will post more soon Smiley

Well for the moment you are physically stuck until you open the portal again. I try as hard as possible not to have so many situations like that from game design.

What would you suggest, what do you think it's better?
1) die?
2) go back to where you cast the sphere?
3) get unstuck?
4) restrict? so you only hear a sound or a fail effect

Thanks

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »

Hello guys,

We have been really busy over the past weeks with Unbound preparing for Comic Con event. Looking back on some old code for gameplay which is not integrated yet in the new refactored code, I stumble upon the old art and code from 8 months ago, when I started the project by myself.

I figure that it's a good idea to show you how much a game can evolve in 8 months :D.

Now I'm super happy that I have an awesome team of 4. Andrei Jifcovici and Andrei Simion are helping me on programming and Olga Ciob from SquareHeadsGames does an wonderful job with the art.

Lex Dumitru, which helped us in the past with music for previous games, was kind enough to give us a song from his repertory, for the time lapse video.

As a bonus, here is a concept art for some monsters from the game. Not all of them will end up in the game. But I hope you like them.

Feel free to follow us on Facebook/ website for more surprises :

Alien Pixel Studios | Square Heads Games | AlienPixelStudios.com

That´s all for this devblog. Thanks for reading!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »

I really love these monster concepts especially the little one eyed fuzz balls! The gameplay is really unique too and that orb effect is lovely. Look forward to more!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

This reminds me a bit of Quantum Conundrum where you also can switch between dimensions where different strange laws apply. It definitely looks interesting. Do you have different kinds of portals/spheres that you can use at any time? Each portal/sphere does something different - deterministic for player? Btw I would make the effect of spawning the sphere much more faster so the player will not have to wait each time. And I love the concept of the little red guy Smiley

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »

Thanks jctwood.  I will update soon.

This reminds me a bit of Quantum Conundrum where you also can switch between dimensions where different strange laws apply. It definitely looks interesting. Do you have different kinds of portals/spheres that you can use at any time? Each portal/sphere does something different - deterministic for player? Btw I would make the effect of spawning the sphere much more faster so the player will not have to wait each time. And I love the concept of the little red guy Smiley

Yes the sphere is a little slow right now Smiley. But we worked on it...and now it's a little bit faster.
Each portal/sphere can be change by the player on the map on some specific points. For the moment multiple spheres with different abilities can confuse the player. But we will see in the future.

I didn't know about Quantum Conudrum...I should check it out.

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:16 PM »

We always experiment with monsters and new ways to kill our character Smiley

This is the latest one.

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »

Didn't post in a while  Epileptic.
But here is a gameplay trailer we prepared for Gamescom 2017
Hope you like it :

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 04:24:05 AM »

Wow 120 days since I didn't post anything :|

So we created a page for Unbound here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/814680/Unbound_Worlds_Apart/

AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 04:32:28 AM »

Gave you guys a follow on Steam, really like the vibe of this game.

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »

Gave you guys a follow on Steam, really like the vibe of this game.
Thanks a lot <3

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 05:49:16 AM »

I spent the whole week to make this 2D water/waves simulation in Unbound using springs formula (Hook's Law) and Procedural mesh component.

If you have any suggestion please tell me Smiley

stevenmelin
Level 0

film & game music composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »

This looks so great! Really looking forward to this one Smiley

film & game music composer
www.stevenmelin.com
Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »

Hello,

Spent more time with water applying hooke's law and convolution for waves. An now I got this:

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »

Hello,

So for the last couple of months we decided that is time to improve our art style so this is what we got:

What do you think?

Also on Steam now:
http://tinyurl.com/unboundworldsapart

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic