Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:06:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOnline -persistant- Tank Battle game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Online -persistant- Tank Battle game  (Read 792 times)
MoonCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »

Hi all, first post here and as I joined to meet like minded folk and begin a Devlog for my project I thought I'd start an intro here.
I'm 75% done on my online game, I'm hoping it has some unique elements as, on paper, it may sound rather run of the mill. Ok, it's a Tank Battle game..now in my research I was stunned to see the amount of Tank games. Most of them look similar, pretty sure they come from similar coding templates, but I'd like to commit to history that the idea of my game began about 20 years ago! So I do hope the design, style and gameplay will convince people that my game shouldn't be filed under 'Generic Tank Game'. We shall see..

First, I'm a big Tron fan, to the point that my love for the original arcade game, specifically the Tank level, stayed with me and drove the idea to make an expanded and advanced multiplayer version some day.
I'm now at that day, so I'd like to lay out a few of my plans prior to committing to the Devlog and releasing a Beta. I'll start with 2 or 3 basic aims I have.

1: I'm trying for a semi-Holographic CRT-glow style of graphics. Almost like you're looking at a flat screen, with flat, layered raster graphics, from a 3rd person view. A quick screenshot or two may help..

I'll follow up with a quick video to try and demo this more, it's just about the effect I wanted but some fresh eyes on this would be good.

2: The game has Pro and Lite versions , the Lite is to simply get a version up with the basic mechanics of the game, and will become a practise/demo game for honing skills.
Full version is based within a huge mainframe computer world a la Tron but from there it goes its own way. A glitched time-loop element lends to the story backdrop and game mechanics. More on this as it's developed but apart from the quirky gameplay addition, it's a sort of persistant-state game where a player can begin a campaign and progress further into the world, ranking up on a global scoring system.
It's almost a smidgeon of board game-like scoring, where your player moves along another square, like you would after a throw of the dice. I like the idea of your player 'existing' in a certain place out there in cyber world, along with others, rather than just a high score figure declaring peoples scoring rank. Every 10-20 squares will earn a bonus or rank up the player. I really like this idea and not come across it myself, would love input and any similar examples.

3: As I fumble through my ever increasing notes, I currently plan to host the game on Kongregate. The Kreds system and Guild making/purchasing system suits the project well and would take some of the strain off the development, particularly IAP and online ranking, plus lots of potential players. Appreciate any input from Kongregate-based devs.

Please jump in on the topic, even if you're just reminiscing about Tron, one thing I've learned is that too much time spent on coding/designing this thing without breaks and contact with others makes leaves me creatively flat at times (this ailment must have a name  Crazy), so a forum thread and Devlog is maybe in order. 

Tanks/Thanks for listening,

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic