Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:40:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)ColorPallet for the ColorBlind?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ColorPallet for the ColorBlind?  (Read 1406 times)
ZeroP
Level 0

Time is a social construct

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »

So I had a sort of idea - No idea if it's been thought of before. (I kind of hope it has, so inform me if it was)

Basically, I asked myself "Is there a way a colorblind artist can make a colored pixel art piece?"

One crucial thought I had in mind was regarding value (or "brightness") - That it is usually the only that that matters in making good art.
Saturation and hue usually seem to not matter nearly as much, being more about adding to the flavor rather than changing the forms or designs.

So then I thought well, a colorblind artist can definitely make a good black and white pixel piece regardless.

So why not then, just have there be a pallet where there are a limited number of hues where each hue has the exact same values of a grayscale, so that even if an artist can't see that the pallet is correct, they can rest assured that it IS correct because they can just refer to the grayscale and rest assured that the people who made the pallet did a good job.

So then I decided to attempt to make such a pallet with the help of my friends.
Of course there is one problem with my attempt of trying to make a value-perfect color pallet - I myself am partially colorblind.
Therefore it's probably impossible for me to continue finishing the pallet.

So what I'm asking is if any of you experienced non-colorblind artists can help either affirm that it's a "good enough" pallet or help edit it until it is a good enough pallet.
It shouldn't take anything to edit since the bucket tool in Photoshop or Gimp can change all instances of a specific color in 1 click.

Here's the pallet that I came up with and what I've got so far:

8 (9 if gray is included) distinct hues and 8 different values/brightnesses

( Blink _ Blink )

So what do you guys think? Good or bad idea?
And if there are other pallets that have done this please let me know.
And please help finish this pallet if you believe in my idea.

Keep in mind I am moderately colorblind so I am very much relying on this potentially for my games.
TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »

this is a cool idea . what type of game are you trying to make ? because colors tend to set the mood and the mood your pallette gives me is old school pixel fantasy rpg . i would suggest to add another yellow thats less yellow-green, but to keep the yellow you have

ZeroP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

this is a cool idea . what type of game are you trying to make ? because colors tend to set the mood and the mood your pallette gives me is old school pixel fantasy rpg . i would suggest to add another yellow thats less yellow-green, but to keep the yellow you have

Unfortunately I actually tried to have a more full yellow, but since yellow is such a naturally bright colors kind of impossible to shove it into this chart. The yellow here isnt the wrong hue I dont think but the saturation is definitely toned way down. RIP yellow a necessary sacrifice.

As for the tone I have no idea.

Whatever it turns out to be Im fine with as long as it works and looks ok.
_glitch
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

This is a pretty good idea!
ZeroP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »

Anybody wanna improve the pallet?
Giant_Gamer
Level 0

My 2nd language is SmileBASIC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »

This colorblind pallet proposal would probably allow you to create very unique art, with an interesting style.

I am fairly new to pixel art myself, so take this advice with a huge salt rock.

Hue Saturation, and hue shifting when shading from dark to light was one of the lessons I was taught. Simply shading from a color to black will not always allow the intention of your art come through.

It might not be as helpful to show you this example if you can't see the colors, but let me try. Here is one that used the exact color palate from my online class.

The middle color is Green, but not pure green, just slightly off. On the lighter side of things, the color is a high value, low saturated yellow green, and on the dark side of pallet the color is a Green-blue. The tone of the green changes to the lighter side of the color wheel when looking at green things in sunlight. In darker lighting the blue-er value of Green, is more shown.

Since you might not be able to clearly see from the example, I'll list the HSV/RGB of each color.
Pallet values:

Base (green)
H:131 S:70 V:90%  (R:69 G:230 B:98)
Green +1 light
H:122 S:67 V:92%  (R:77 G:235 B:82)
Green +2 light
H:106 S:63 V:93%  (R:123 G:237 B:88)
Green +3 light (notice the slight pallet mistake here... lol)
H:108 S:42 V:97%  (R:163 G:247 B:143)
Green +4 light
H:93 S:28 V:100%  (R:216 G:255 B:184)
Green +5 light
H:77 S:17 V:100%  (R:243 G:255 B:212)
Green +6 brightest
H:64 S:6 V:100%  (R:254 G:255 B:240)
Notice how the "H" hue value is slowly decreased until it's almost pure yellow.

Base (green)
H:131 S:70 V:90%  (R:69 G:230 B:98)
Green -1 light
H:136 S:62 V:70%  (R:68 G:179 B:97)
Green -2 light
H:145 S:67 V:54%  (R:45 G:138 B:83)
Green -3 light
H:155 S:64 V:35%  (R:32 G:89 B:64)
Green -4 light
H:168 S:58 V:28%  (R:30 G:71 B:63)
Green -5 light
H:178 S:53 V:20%  (R:24 G:51 B:50)
Green -6 Darkest
H:196 S:37 V:16%  (R:26 G:37 B:41)

You can clearly see in the RGB that the darkest color has more blue then green!

The Hue shift seems to require a larger shift in secondary colors then in primary colors. However even primary colors in bright light, in pixel art take on the secondary color next to it, with a far lower hue saturation.
So in the case of Red, the lighter version of it might take a slight orange value, while the darker tone might take on a little purple/violet.

So I'm guessing there might be someone that knows a nice mathematical formula to evenly convert any color from dark to light, or light to dark, changing the hue in a subtle but natural way when shading that might be very helpful for you.

EDIT: Hue shifting, and how strong of a shift that is to be used can vary with certain subjects. Nature pallets use strong hue shifts, while inorganic pallets might not shift much at all. There is also style and personal taste to take into consideration when hue shifting, so just keep in mind that depending on the style you are aiming for, hue shifting might not be as critical for the success of your art.

What you have so far looks great btw.
G_G
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:20:35 PM by Giant_Gamer » Logged

I am the artist for my brother's upcoming game, our development blog is at Game-Blocks.com
missionctrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »

As a fellow partially colorblind artist, I think this would be a really useful tool!  I really struggle with color palettes (i often use sites like http://www.colourlovers.com/ for color choices or I get input from other people)
So far, what you have looks very solid.  Although, I can't comment on the hues being that I'm colorblind myself.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic