Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1286656 Posts in 57008 Topics- by 47957 Members - Latest Member: ocass66

March 28, 2017, 12:06:47 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsPHOGS •o======o•
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PHOGS •o======o•  (Read 281 times)
jctwood
Level 9

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:34:39 pm »

P H O G S
double ended dog minigame collection

•o======o•

We are BitLoomGames, art by douglas, programming by @henwuar and @jctwood, sound also by Henry

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:03:05 am by jctwood » Logged

jctwood
Level 9

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:36:27 pm »

PHOGS (PHysics dOGS) is a cooperative local multiplayer double ended dog minigame collection.

The three of us started making the prototype in Unity and have the basic mesh generation and physics working. The double-ended dog is controlled by two players using two halves of a controller.

Working with joints in Unity so far has been a rollercoaster and we settled on using a chain of spring joints each of which tries to keep a minimum distance to the next joint. I might go into more detail about how the dogs work if anyone is interested?

Currently we are experimenting with gameplay to implement a variety of physics based minigames that have players co-operate, we also have a multidog mode in mind for more than two players. This is the first longer term project the three of us have worked on as a team having previously only made game jam games like Big Wings with some friends. Henry and Doug made the lovely Everything is Peachy which you can grab on steam now!

Looking forward to sharing the development process with everyone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:42:20 am by jctwood » Logged

jctwood
Level 9

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:32 am »

Henry and I spent a good amount of time tweaking the physics of the dogs and implementing a grab dash. Either player can make their dog end dash forward using the bumper or trigger, if they hit an object that is grabbable they will stick to it. Henry also created some music which is perfect and wobbly and I look forward to sharing it here when we have a video up at some point.

The music is layered so if the dogs haven't received input for a while they will sleep and the music will lose its bass line becoming more mellow. Another fun feature is dog holes which will connect the various levels in the game. Shortly after implementing them I realised they look and act a lot like Mario pipes, that should change once we have more natural looking hole asset.

We are hoping to show the game at an upcoming IGDA meeting/play party here in Dundee, Scotland and gather some feedback. Then our plan is to apply for Stugan, a really cool accelerator program which takes place in a cabin in the woods in Sweden! We will be trying to post regularly to our team's twitter over here @BitLoomGames.

Thank you for reading! Here is a real life double ended dog.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:19:37 am »

I am a canine photography expert and I can say with some degree of confidence that the photograph you have claimed is of a "real life double ended dog" is in fact a bogus fabrication likely utilizing the popular image manipulation tool called "Photoshop" and I urge you to reconsider your assertion of such blatant falsehoods or else you could face lawsuits claiming that you distributed misleading marketing materials

alvarop
Level 8

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:13 am »

it's like catdog except no cat so it's twice as good.

jctwood
Level 9

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:59 am »

I am a canine photography expert and I can say with some degree of confidence that the photograph you have claimed is of a "real life double ended dog" is in fact a bogus fabrication likely utilizing the popular image manipulation tool called "Photoshop" and I urge you to reconsider your assertion of such blatant falsehoods or else you could face lawsuits claiming that you distributed misleading marketing materials

I don't know what photoshop is but I can confirm I have received multiple lawsuits as well as some strange handwritten letters from someone claiming to be a 'double dog preservationist' a little worried they might taxidermy the long windy animal.

it's like catdog except no cat so it's twice as good.

*scores 'add cat ends' off the list*

jctwood
Level 9

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:01:36 am »

Another update after a really lovely night showing a little sandbox level for PHOGS at a local IGDA event here in Dundee, Scotland. Everybody seemed to compare it to genital jousting which honestly had not crossed our minds but is a compliment in my book!

Some of Dougs animations are in now for the dogs and we added little collars for players to differentiate themselves. One of the biggest complaints we had was about the camera and we have been flipping between an orthographic fixed view and a zoomed in perspective view. The orthographic view gives more information but the stretchy wobbly nature of the dogs is less exaggerated and it is very difficult to gauge any sort of verticality.

Henry added a system for wiring buttons together which works well for rapidly prototyping puzzles. Another addition is a bug box with a little face that when moved by a player starts to try and roll back toward its 'home'.

Thanks for reading and hopefully in the next update we can show off an early level!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic