Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:45:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPHOGS •o======o•
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: PHOGS •o======o•  (Read 20983 times)
RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 05:52:02 AM »

Ah the prolific commenter finally has a devlog!

I had a friend that went to Abertay a few years ago who entered Dare and failed to get in, so good job on making it in.

The phoggo looks totes adorbs, and it seems like it will be alot of fun to play. I realise you guys probably wont have time for this, but I feel like replacing boingles with a normal dog calmly completing be a wonderful bit of contrast to doubledogs inherent derpiness.

Looks great! What level of devlopment are ya'll aiming for? Is it more of a demo or an entire package?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 06:18:15 AM »

I had a friend that went to Abertay a few years ago who entered Dare and failed to get in, so good job on making it in.

The phoggo looks totes adorbs, and it seems like it will be alot of fun to play. I realise you guys probably wont have time for this, but I feel like replacing boingles with a normal dog calmly completing be a wonderful bit of contrast to doubledogs inherent derpiness.

Looks great! What level of devlopment are ya'll aiming for? Is it more of a demo or an entire package?

Hey RofB! I'm not sure if my prolific commenting is something to be proud of but it is great to have a devlog finally. I know a few people who haven't made it into Dare in the past so we are really excited to be a part of it. The idea of having normal dogs around the world to contrast is definitely an idea we have been throwing around. Currently our aim is to get a good playable prototype by the end of DARE and use that to gauge interest and hopefully find funding. We currently want to release it as a paid game even if it is a shorter experience for a low cost.

RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »

Hey RofB! I'm not sure if my prolific commenting is something to be proud of but it is great to have a devlog finally. I know a few people who haven't made it into Dare in the past so we are really excited to be a part of it. The idea of having normal dogs around the world to contrast is definitely an idea we have been throwing around. Currently our aim is to get a good playable prototype by the end of DARE and use that to gauge interest and hopefully find funding. We currently want to release it as a paid game even if it is a shorter experience for a low cost.

I definitely didn't mean it as a bad thing. Whenever I'm replying to a thread i nearly always invariably see you've already posted Tongue . It's a good thing. As I'm sure you know, having someone comment on your work makes all the difference.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Good luck with the process.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »

It has been a while since our last post, I spent the past week at the Develop Conference in Brighton volunteering as a CA which was great fun! I met some wonderful people and saw some amazing games which made me want to get back to working on PHOGS. I ended up making a little visual list of dog things for reference while I was bored on the 11 hour bus ride back.

We also began the month long DARE Academy incubation period at Abertay University here in Scotland last week.

While I was away Doug and Henry began working full time on the game and it has come a long way. We now have several playable levels and some new dog mechanics. Taking on board the critical and positive feedback from various mentors at the University, the next few weeks will be focused on making a fun, accessible slice of gameplay that introduces players to the weird co-op mechanics of being attached together. I'm excited to start sharing more of our progress here now that we are all in the same space working on PHOGS full-time.

One thing I was interested in is if anyone has experience with newsletters and would recommend a particular newsletter service? Hope everyone is great, thank you for checking in with PHOGS!

⬤⃚⃘████████████⬤⃚⃘
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:20:25 AM by jctwood » Logged

Douglas Flinders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 03:19:49 AM »

Hi guys Doug here, last week I was working on level layouts and some basic puzzle implementation. As such aside from a few placeholder assets the art has been  on hold.

The main aim for week was to get a handful of tutorial levels blocked out and playable that act to introduce anyone to the basic mechanics of the game. The majority of the my time was spent using the CSG plugin in unity and constructing the layouts for the different puzzles. The other half of the time was simply testing out how things felt and worked with their current early implementation and highlighting areas for improvement.

One of the main things that came up early on was the scale of the levels themselves. I found our original idea of keeping the levels very small and trying to get as much in one screen as possible was very limiting and didn't feel great with the current movement. As such I experimented with some bigger levels with more opportunity to run about and get used to the control scheme as well as being a bit more forgiving by requiring a bit less precision.

As such they went from being this sort of size to the image below

I also got a fair bit more comfortable using the CSG editor and found that simply making the edges a bit more uneven and adding a simple texture made them look a lot nicer.

As for the puzzles the above level is intended as a basic introduction to dragging, all of the orange objects can be dragged and must be moved into place to gain access to the exit as shown below:

While messing around with this level we found that the actual physics of dragging the objects didn't feel great, we tried adjusting the mass of the objects and added a handle to the bottom of the objects to help them stick to the ground a bit more but it definitely still needs some tweaking.

We also managed to get a few people to play it later on in the week and got some great feedback. One of the most important things for me was that it wasn't fun to be punished by the movement system as it should be more free and enjoyable than part of the games challenge.

This was mainly prompted by the above section on the first level. The original level had a fairly thin bridge that could be fallen from onto a safety net below that forced you to return back the way and try again. The idea was to try and test players grasp of the movement system and have them prove their coordination before progressing. However after the feedback and realisation that we do want the experience to be more playful and fun than challenging it was swapped out for a safer, risk free movement section.

I'll let Henry explain some of the more complex puzzle pieces he implemented in a later post, thanks for reading!
Doug
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 01:48:26 AM »

It has been a while since the last update! A lot has happened over the past couple of weeks.

We demoed the game for the first time at a local networking evening and it went down really well! Some people were a little confused by the last area of the demo, the Jumpkin Patch. It introduced a few too many new mechanics. Watching players try to solve the puzzle in strange ways was wonderful and made us realise that adding anything to a puzzle area will immediately become something players try to use in their solution. We had this big sleeping giant in the corner who would blow the phog into the air as it snored and not much else but players kept trying to wake it up by making a water hose!

We also discovered that players love to get the dogs stuck in places. There are a few doors throughout the level and players continually tried to close the doors on themselves to see what would happen, unfortunately it would get them irreversibly stuck and need us to come over and restart the level. The easy solution would be to prevent doors closing on the phog but when players were so drawn to that part of the game maybe we should accommodate it somehow. Slicing the phog in half would be a little too messy but maybe having it recoil away in reaction would work.

We already have another two events lined up toward the end of August and September so it will be good to tweak these things and see how people react. Having the game in a state that allows us to actually playtest feels really good. We are also starting to think in the longterm about platforms and are pursuing the PS4 and Switch currently with a PS4 build already working which is super smooth!

Thanks for reading and if anyone is going to be at Insomnia61 or EGX in Birmingham please come and check out the game!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

The munchlets are always hungry for jumpkins!

We just returned from a long and exciting weekend showing the game at Insomnia61 in Birmingham. We received loads of useful feedback and are excited to get back to work on PHOGS! Looking forward to showing off some new areas and focusing in on what people seem to really enjoy.

Also the first newsletter will go out soon here: http://tinyletter.com/bitloomgames/subscribe/

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:15 AM »

You should consider a little prototype for AGBIC maybe Grin

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »

Wow that is incredible!

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 01:55:04 AM »

The art is cute and it looks really fun  Grin

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 02:36:57 AM »

Thank you so much bombjack!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »

The past few weeks have been hectic, demoing the game at EGX in Birmingham was fantastic! The three of us were amazed to win the Dare competition we have been participating in for the last few months and are flying out to LA for IndieCade in less than a week. Hopefully after IndieCade we will begin development full time again and have far more to show. In the mean time here is a link to the new trailer!

Penguinoccio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »

This game looks double plus doggy good
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »

This is looking really charming and wonderful. I love that there's lots of different critters instead of the levels just being purely environmental. Good luck at indiecade!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

this screams personality. keep going guys.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 01:41:02 AM »

This game looks double plus doggy good

That is going to have to go on the back of the box!

This is looking really charming and wonderful. I love that there's lots of different critters instead of the levels just being purely environmental. Good luck at indiecade!

Thank you so much Tom! It is always super inspiring seeing wobble dogs and the new creature - creature interactions between dogs. We really want to focus on creature led puzzle design and consistent behaviours that players can begin to learn. Will you be at IndieCade this year? Any tips for someone going for their first time?

this screams personality. keep going guys.

Thank you flex! We will keep going until we run out of double-ended ideas!

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »

Thank you so much Tom! It is always super inspiring seeing wobble dogs and the new creature - creature interactions between dogs. We really want to focus on creature led puzzle design and consistent behaviours that players can begin to learn. Will you be at IndieCade this year? Any tips for someone going for their first time?

Aw, thanks. I'm not sure yet if I'll be at the actual event (definitely not the conference but maybe the arcade), but if glitch city hosts a party again this year I'll probably be at that. As far as tips, I'm probably not the best person to ask, tbh! I don't have a ton of experience exhibiting and I've never exhibited at indiecade before. It's a cool festival though and I'm sure you guys'll do great.

jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »

This game is amazing, and congrats on the Dare competition, even though that was a while ago

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic