Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:57:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesthread for talking about Nier: Automata
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: thread for talking about Nier: Automata  (Read 18344 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »

after 30 hours and completing the game twice i am presented with yet another narrative device, new gameplay mechanics, new music and bosses, and discover that the past 30 hours of gameplay were actually an extended prologue and the real game begins

this is quite easily the best game ive ever played

route C is sad as fuck isn't it? oh and don't worry, you STILL havent seen all the gameplay elements

-Fuzzy Spider
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »

Route B complete, introduction to the further game complete.

Now the real NieR: Automata begins
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:25 AM »

It is hard for me to make a sincere post about my experiences with the game so far other than a bleating "it's good"

I interact with media in a very intricate way and I am always unhappy putting critiques out before I've fully disassembled a work in my mind.

Some details that cement my feelings so far:  While the (route B) hacking mechanic fades into chiptune music, during one of the more dramatic segments of the game with a chorus over the music, when you hack the chorus remains laid over the chiptunes.  This is something someone decided had to be in the game and people worked to make that happen.  For a detail people might not even consciously recognize the immense value of.

So, let me be clear, with a very loud bleating of "it's very good"
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »

[...]Now the real NieR: Automata begins

Is it possible to interact with this software in a way that it'll reward you with a real life car?

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 04:12:09 AM »

something funny, but super easy to miss, not a story spoiler.

Was looking for secrets, and while i did find a pretty good sized area you don't ever go to in any of the routes (and it DID have a boss, but i won't spoil that, you'll have to find this one yourself, i'll give a hint as to where to look if you want though as it was a pretty random find). I also noticed that the statue in the park took damage if you whacked it, so i tried everything, in pretty much every chapter of the game, and in the end that, yes, from the beginning of route B there IS something you can do with that golden rabbit statue, and you get a quite nice reward for doing it.  I won't spoil how or what (it's not as straightforward as you might think), but try stuff on it until you find something.

Hint for the first think i mentioned, not an exact location just what to look for
check all the sewer pipes in the pit VERY thoroughly.

-Fuzzy Spider
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

[...]Now the real NieR: Automata begins

Is it possible to interact with this software in a way that it'll reward you with a real life car?

Nier is a real game you can play so probably not
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »

hahaha ending e is fucking genius
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »

WARNING:this game is a crap. this game is a bull shit.you will diarrhea this game,. Hmm,thank for thie MICKEY MOUSE game. yes,this game Truley is danald and Mickey the Rondent. It piss me,to the limit, to my own body. why I Hate This Game? YEs.

i am close to the end of route 2 but cant play this weekend because out of town. i think this game might be a masterpiece.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

WARNING:this game is a crap. this game is a bull shit.you will diarrhea this game,. Hmm,thank for thie MICKEY MOUSE game. yes,this game Truley is danald and Mickey the Rondent. It piss me,to the limit, to my own body. why I Hate This Game? YEs.

i am close to the end of route 2 but cant play this weekend because out of town. i think this game might be a masterpiece.
it absolutely is. its so good.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »

completed this with like 40 hours racked up. i'm sad now because i never want it to end.i'm going to go back and do the last few things i hadn't finished.

i hope the fact that there's dialogue in the intro trailer if you dont press start that isnt in the game means there will be dlc.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »

? i dont remember any dialog in the trailer not being in the game

-Fuzzy Spider
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »

? i dont remember any dialog in the trailer not being in the game

i don't recall 2b saying "if you meet yorha unit 9s, i want you to... i mean" but i extremely do not recall adam saying "we're not so different after all"
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »

done with route 2

PERSPECTIVE from someone who has played the original nier:

as i said earlier in this thread, the original nier was was not a great game, or even "good". however, it did a bunch of interesting things, such as constant genre hopping, mixing 3rd person melee combat with "bullet hell" elements and of course some really cool story themes. the problem is they were all poorly executed. the combat lacked flow, the game was overlong and littered awful sidequests and minigames (FISHING!!!) and the story was not very well paced. you had to play through hours upon hours of boring jrpg plot (albeit with some goofy characters) before a couple of Big Reveals.

what platinum did with automata was take almost everything that was cool about the original nier, polish it up and make it actually work mechanically without ruining the game's quirky identity. the storytelling is a ton better too and gearing it towards multiple short playthroughs was probably the best idea.

the original game was kinda trying to be a pastiche/deconstruction of other games. like it had a bunch of resident evil and zelda parodies in there for example. at first i missed that aspect in the sequel (unless it does more of that in the later routes) but now i feel it brings the story into focus more.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »

i really liked hacking for plot exposition in route 2 but got a bit sick of it for combat. my only real mechanical complaint about this game is that i wish hacking was a 9s exclusive pod program. but it does fit in thematically with (DONT READ THIS UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE NEXT  ENDINGS) the fact that he is explicitly not a combat model and is hampered by design so that he can be murdered over and over and over again
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

to me the most "super joe" character in the game is the third wise machine who is driven mad by the search for meaning in a meaningless existence
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »

does this "third wise machine" play any meaningful role in killing the clone of adolf hitler

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »

i did use hacking for combat. not constantly, but every once in a while to change things up a little. its also a great way to speed up boss fights, particularly the final boss.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »

does this "third wise machine" play any meaningful role in killing the clone of adolf hitler
it plays a very meaningful role in killing itself
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »

I'd watched a few videos of a Nier (the first one) Let's Play to get a grounding in Yoko Taro's previous works

This included a 40 minute recap of Drakengard and its endings

But knowing a few things from those two games and entering A Place in Nier: Automata (the library, rendered without texture, with the same music) has made me pause the game- saving and exiting- to finish the let's play so I can fully understand the immensity of the room I have entered.

Clarification:  Yes, this is not normal behavior, but I believe This Game deserves it
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

there's story that involves the time period between nier and nier automata as well hidden in a few side quests. specifically if you haven't unlocked the elevator door in the shopping center you haven't gotten the full story yet. And i don't just mean text documents.

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic