Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 06:28:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSpace Squid: New Flash Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Squid: New Flash Game  (Read 2634 times)
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:13 PM »

I've been a lurker here for a long time. I guess it just figures that my first post is my first game release.

Quit my day job and gave myself 30 days to learn flash and build it. I think I came pretty far, and the game is a fun little toy to boot. Give it a gander - I'm hoping to do some interviews to inspire others to actually pick up the tools and go. Smiley

Was of course inspired heavily at the last GDC, thanks primarily to the IGF and all their hard work.

Play on my site, http://www.space-squid.com (ad free)

IndieElite4Eva
Renton
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »

You've been a lurker here for a long time yet you haven't read the rules for posting in Announcements?

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL YOU'VE AT LEAST POSTED AN INTRODUCTION IN THE OBLIGATORY INTRODUCE YOURSELF THREAD.

Any spammy-type posts will be banished.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

You've been a lurker here for a long time yet you haven't read the rules for posting in Announcements?

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNTIL YOU'VE AT LEAST POSTED AN INTRODUCTION IN THE OBLIGATORY INTRODUCE YOURSELF THREAD.

Any spammy-type posts will be banished.

There is a good chance he just wanted exposure and didn't care for rules.
Might never see him again.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »

made it a bit bigger just to let everyone know I read it now! hooray! more red in this thread plz!

There is a good chance he just wanted exposure and didn't care for rules.
Might never see him again.

What! What kind of guy do you take me for Tongue

I've been lurking quite a while but never ventured into this forum, and failed to read the rules. Woops..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:00:09 AM by weasello » Logged

IndieElite4Eva
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »

Your button that says "Click" looks like it says "Dick"
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:06 AM »

Your button that says "Click" looks like it says "Dick"

It really does Lips Sealed

Can't say I'm a fan of these kind of games, but I tried it out. I like the different ways of scoring different points with the stars (head, arms, ink, etc), The squid is quite jittery though, and it's kind of easy to lose control. Oh well, this isn't my cup of tea to begin with, but I have to ask what the smaller, yellow stars are for?
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »

Same question here regarding the purpose of the yellow stars.  Played till about level 7.  I also found the controls a tad bit frustrating but it was fun to try and snag the starfish via hits from your legs.  The ink was a fun touch as well and I enjoyed the way it spread and diluted in the water.

Seems like the game gets boring fairly quickly though.  Are the other objects that fall just there to get in your way or do any hurt you?  It seemed like the jellyfish.. the puffer fish.. and the rock just got in your way but I guess they were at different depths. 

It was amusing to fly out of the space tank and die.  Smiley

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Controls are funny, you really have to wrestle with them! The music and sounds seemed a bit too generic maybe, especially the voice-effects... Physics work great!

Keep it up Beer!
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

Controlling the squid is definitely an art you get a knack for after playing for a while. Some people have trouble because the squid isn't responsive enough, and some say it's too responsive - so the Normal and Pro gameplay modes have different control schemes. Smiley

Thanks for the feedback though!

The objects are just to get in your way - and they do fall at different depths. Except Aliens mode where they just hang in the sky....

IndieElite4Eva
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »

Controlling the squid is definitely an art you get a knack for after playing for a while. Some people have trouble because the squid isn't responsive enough, and some say it's too responsive - so the Normal and Pro gameplay modes have different control schemes. Smiley

Thanks for the feedback though!

The objects are just to get in your way - and they do fall at different depths. Except Aliens mode where they just hang in the sky....

I hadn't noticed the modes, sorry.  Maybe I should go 'pro' squid.. Wink

One other bit of feedback.. I had a horrible time reading the red/blue text.  Something about the blue text was especially hard to read.  I know it looks cool in theory but I thought I'd get a migraine trying to go through the 3-4 pages of notes. 

I think I'm going to try 'pro' mode here in  second... wish me luck.  Heheh.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »

The click button isn't the only thing in the game that looks like a dick...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic