Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:13:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Using rotoscoping to create 2D animations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using rotoscoping to create 2D animations  (Read 1538 times)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »

Hi, guys,

We are working on a fully 2D game Ash of Gods (a tactical RPG with card game elements).

To create combat animations we use a technique called rotoscoping - we shoot actros performing different actions and then process the videos to create a 2D animation. Here is how it works:

Have you done 2D animations this way? Do you maybe have some useful findings to share?

This is Atraah the Reaper walking animations. Do you think it looks reliably?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »

Is this the same method Stoic is using for The Banner Saga trilogy? I sometimes record myself to get key frames right but holy hell the extent of this is amazing and the results always feel quite life like.

I imagine you have to make 4 versions of every single animation, how long does it take to make a full character? how do you achieve loops for the walking animations?
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:50:58 AM »

Keep on sharing these new techniques of art and technology.

New?

ca3games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

Your creativity is so innovative. Keep on sharing these new techniques of art and technology.

Thanks

rotoscoping is ancient technique bro.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »

How much editing are you doing to the animation or is it straight rotoscoped? Cause straight rotoscoping tends to end up looking floaty and lacking impact esspecially on actual attack animations and shit. I tend to find it works better as a starting point to then expand on with normal animation techniques rather then using it as the entire basis.

For those wondering about the age of rotoscoping, first used in 1915 by Max Fleicher for out of the inkwell.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic