Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:19:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCan't build a community, need marketing help :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Can't build a community, need marketing help :(  (Read 4603 times)
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:59 AM »

Well in my opinion there is a very noticeable improvement in your new trailer! The structure is far better. If I had to be picky, I'd say there are still a few places where it drags on that could be cut, and one subtitle (about the bosses) that is displayed too quickly, I couldn't read it entirely.

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »

OK. Did some MORE modifications to the trailer Smiley

How about now? Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:26:35 AM by AlexSkylark » Logged

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 01:31:26 AM »

Nice! The progression is a lot better. There still are one or two moments where it drags on a bit (the weapon presentation could be shorter), but I think it's a lot more appealing now overall!
I'm not sure I need to say it, but don't get your hopes too high though, a quality trailer won't change your community building overnight, it's only one small step in the big process. Are you using analytics to track your players interactions with your marketing material? Can you for example know how many people launch the video, and how many watch it until the end?
(I'm a marketing noob myself, I know such tools exist but I still have to use one...)

3-50.net
kavaari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »

I would drop the studio logo from the intro, put that in the end. And maybe even show the game logo / name later. The first few seconds of the trailer is the most critical part and that's what defines if the user is going to stick to watch the video or just close it. Nobody is interested about your unheard studio name, for established studios such as Bethesda it could make sense to put the studio name first because they are well known developer / publisher.
coder_for_life22
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »

Definitely noticed good improvements in the new trailer! Good work man.

Makes me want to download and play the game now :-)
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »

Incidentally, the game's website (linked from OP) needs the embedded YouTube video updated.

AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »

SO, I relaunched my greenlight with the new trailer, and also managed to get a press release on GamesPress.

The results? Well... It's better than before. in 48 hours I got more visitors and YES votes on the greenlight than I had in 42 days of the old campaign.

However, I'm now sitting at 15% and a 51% YES/No ratio (which is better than the 8% path to the 100 and 38% YES of before, but still far far away), with no visitors coming in after the game was dropped from the "recent additions" page.

Nobody picked up the press release for writing, even tho I got it reviewed and it seemed like it was OK. You guys can check it out here http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/294771/ABSTRACT_2D_SHOOTER_RADIANT_LUX_IS_LIVE_ON_STEAM_GREENLIGHTPLAYABLE_ALPHA_RELEASED.php

Anyhow, this is what it SEEMS that I'm lacking: media coverage. I'm literally not featured in ANY site, the only video I had made on it was from a single small youtuber with 500 subscribers (and the video had like 34 views). Any tips on that? Or maybe that isn't the problem after all?

It seems like it has seen a little progress! I still need loads of help tho... ugh.

gabdab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »

Nice Game !
Find some partners and hit social networks with a clue .
voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 03:10:01 AM »

Nobody is reading the press release.
It's way too long.
And if you do, you still have no clue whats it like.
AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »

*sigh* when I showed it around before publishing everyone told me it was OK... Sad

voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »

*sigh* when I showed it around before publishing everyone told me it was OK... Sad
Hmmm... whom did you show it ? Friends ? People with gaming or PR experience ?
AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »

Anyhow, what's the solution? do another? or is that ship sailed?

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »

That's actually pretty cool that you doubled your votes in 48 hours just by tweaking the trailer.

If you're planning to release near the end of 2017 then you still have plenty of time to improve the game and build up your fanbase.

IndieWolverine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 12:29:14 PM »

I apologize if this comes off as dick-ish (it's definitely not intended to be that way), but if your product isn't good, then marketing (aka communication) is not your problem. If you want to charge players for a product, then it better be good. I didn't say "look" good because there are plenty of games that don't look amazing but are still very good (Undertale is an excellent example).

There are plenty of marketing tactics and ways to get the word out. However, getting the word out doesn't mean people will listen and do what you want. It all starts with a good product.

Regardless, I congratulate you on making a video game and I hope you continue to make more of them.
AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »

Did you say it hypothetically, or was that your polite way of saying you didn't like my game? lolz

Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

Hello Alex,

I was in the same situation last year and I wrote a blog on Gamasutra about all my mistakes. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SergiuCraitoiu/20160119/263694/Marketing_ideas_for_your_indie_game.php

After that we went on Greenlight and our campaign didn't do very well. But we finally manage to reach to a TV Show from our country, and people were very supportive and helped us with the Greenlight.

Maybe you can use some tips from that blog post.

Now about the trailer:

I really like the art and sound, don't know about the gameplay. For me, the problem is that I can't see any story/objective, what's the goal for the game? Moreover what's the difference between enemies?

Wish you luck

AlexSkylark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

I just wanted to let you all know that Radiant LUX has just been greenlit! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I can't say exactly how this happened, since I was still sitting on ~400 votes, but I had 61% approval, so that might have had something to do with it.

Anyhow, thank you all for your support. Without your tips I wouldn't have relaunched the campaign and probably would be still sitting on the limbo with 140 votes, hahah

Thanks a LOT, everybody <3

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 10:44:34 PM »

Congrats \o/

3-50.net
cathy121
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »

I am not that professional to give advice about the game. But as I realised you need some marketing tricks to bring more people into the game. What about self-marketing? Have you done it?
redredred
Level 0

Colorful worlds

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »

Hey man, I got curious and followed the thread. Congrats on getting Greenlit, but the battle isn't over yet. It's always a flowing battle of trying to draw people. But at least you have the "Greenlit" banner to wave around. Honestly, I've gone and seen many games get more and more attention when they finally get Greenlit. Good luck out there and keep us posted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic