Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:39:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMobile Stamina/Energy system.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mobile Stamina/Energy system.  (Read 1052 times)
Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:23 AM »

I've always considered mobile games to be the natural progression along the curve of arcade games. And, naïvely, it's easy enough to justify this when I think of the short play-sessions, this need to get the kids 'hooked', the energy/stamina systems that push revenue along (arcade tokens).

Speaking of energy systems: is there - possibly - a better way to implement them? I see a lot of folk complain about energy systems but I wonder how they'd react if they had to pay for a token each time they wanted to continue a session in their favourite Final Emblem: Saga (flawed case, and though I'm kidding, still it amuses me).

Are paid downloads the only alternative that forgo energy? I've heard these have been seeing a steady decline or don't work (or haven't worked for a while now). Is this true?

I'm being plagued by an idea for an energy system that still lets players continue their play sessions, so I thought I'd throw it out here. Frankly because it's flawed and I want it out my head (presuming a FF:Brave Exvius-esque game):

• Tying the energy to an arbitrary UserAvatar that can 'earn' more energy by progressing through the game (FF:Brave Exvius does this with ranks; FE:Heroes adopts a similar system)is generally what I've seen and, well, this seems redundant to me (because you're grinding your units' levels anyway).
    • Using Brave Exvius as a springboard: why not tie it each unit instead? Give them a little 'stamina' bar that refills at the same (maybe quicker) rate, that grows in stamina with each level the same way.
  • And the player can micromanage this if they really want to keep playing or whatever. The 'pay gems to refill energy' would probably be replaced by a 'do something and let your party rest at an inn'.

Only one advantage comes to mind: it makes a kind of sense for living, breathing somethings to get tired in-game from the player's unceasing prodding.

It does sound more maddening than the current systems in place; and if nothing else, at least it's achieved that. Hurrah for new lows--

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »

How about changing the reason for mobile stamina..
The old one is to prevent player from playing the game(except if he/she willing to spent some gems or something), you don't want to do that, not anymore, change that to be an excuse to remind player to comeback to play the game, let them play the game as many as they want, but when they are not playing, remind them to comeback.

Change the stamina into something that's not blocking player's progress like powerups or something that once used need to be refilled for an amount of time
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic