Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:33:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMusic copyright and youtube gameplay
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music copyright and youtube gameplay  (Read 600 times)
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »

We're almost out with a game that features classical music available free for commercial use (cc and public domain) on https://musopen.org/

Most classical music, if played properly, sounds the same. That's probably why we recently got a youtube copyright claim by some German firm that takes care of some classical musicians' performance copyrights. We sent the musopen links and the claim was lifted. No problem.

Unfortunately, it started happening to the wonderful youtube lets-players that got our pre-release key. We've sent them the links, but that's a lot of hassle for everyone.

Is there an easy way to pre-report music? I don't even know how to put a game on that "youtube games" thing. Does anyone have any experience with this insanity? Please help Sad

WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:10 AM »

It might be easier to go via the company. Is it the same legal firm contacting everyone else now? If so, just contact them and ask them to stop. If not, how many companies could it be that tries to protect the same music? Try to find out and stop it at the source.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:17:34 AM »

One day, I'll get some lawyers drunk and coerce them into making a serious c&d for situations like this.

Right now, I'm preparing the soundtrack to upload to youtube. It would serve as some kind of a troll catcher :D

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:00:00 AM »

Here it is! 17 songs. About 10 of them were flagged and flags are slowly being removed Smiley

I hope Youtube's Skynet realizes that if enough claims get lifted because "the song is in public domain", trolls won't be able to claim that music anymore

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic