Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:50:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 42775 times)
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »

* Final Release Update *

So "The Lost Light of Sisu" will be released for Nintendo Switch and Steam (PC) on the 27th of February. Super exciting for me since it's the first game that I have ever released! Smiley

Release Trailer:

Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/876150/The_Lost_Light_of_Sisu/

Nintendo Switch:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-lost-light-of-sisu-switch

Screenshots
Here are some screenshots, you can find more in the press kit: Sisu Press Kit.

* * Initial post * *

The Lost Light Of Sisu is a heavily physics based puzzle platformer set in different alien environments.

Story
You are on your way back home when the ship loses its energy. Because of this you need to land and search the nearest planet for a new source of energy.

After beaming down, you find energy cubes that will power your ship, but also change your abilities.

To collect all of the energy cubes, you need to use these level-temporary-abilities and solve physics based puzzles.

Gameplay
You can move left, right and jump. You can also roll up hills and cling to walls.

On each level you need to collect a certain amount of energy. This energy is radioactive and affects your abilities.

To collect all energy cubes, you need to use these level-temporary-abilities and many environmental physics based systems.

Features

• Character is fully affected by realistic physics.
  • It's a mix between a platformer and a puzzle game.
  • The energy only alters your abilities for the duration of the level.
  • Using physics to create interesting solutions and gameplay.

Tech
Im using:
  • Unity as game engine.
  • Blender + Paint.net for graphics.
  • Audacity + LMMS for music and sound.
  • Git + bitbucket for source control.

Graphics
I am currently working on going from the prototype graphics into the final graphics. It will look more like this:

>>> DEMO <<<

I am really looking forward to be sharing my progress with you guys. I will be posting about tech solutions, graphical things and sound/music production. I regret not going on here earlier, but hey. Better late than never Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:46:41 AM by Nordanvinden » Logged

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »

I usually don't like 3D graphics much, but I like the alien world you created, especially the pink and orange one!  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing further progress, combining the gameplay with the environments. Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »

I really like this one, particularly the lighting in the cave.  The overhang gives a great impression of entering underground.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:42:23 PM »

I usually don't like 3D graphics much, but I like the alien world you created, especially the pink and orange one!  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing further progress, combining the gameplay with the environments. Smiley

I am glad you like it, even though its 3D! The vibrant colors make it pop, but it may be a bit too much on the eye? I might have to tone down some of the colors for its final version, hmm..

Yes! Im hoping to be able to integrate them in a nice way.

Thanks for the feedback Waru Smiley

I really like this one, particularly the lighting in the cave.  The overhang gives a great impression of entering underground.

Its cool that you get the sense of entering a cave. I was thinking of maybe changing the music when entering these caves, kind of like in banjo kazooie or underground mario levels. But also might be wierd Undecided

Thanks for the feedback AaronB Smiley

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »

As a Finn I feel the need to ask: how did you choose the word Sisu? Was it random, or does it have some meaning within the game? Figured you might have heard of the concept as a Swede.

From wikipedia: "Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, grit, bravery, resilience, and hardiness."

It can also be either a sort of candy or a truck

Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (Devlog) || Nuclear Rune - Tactical party RPG (Devlog) || Ebonscale Games
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:00:04 AM »

As a Finn I feel the need to ask: how did you choose the word Sisu? Was it random, or does it have some meaning within the game? Figured you might have heard of the concept as a Swede.

From wikipedia: "Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, grit, bravery, resilience, and hardiness."

It can also be either a sort of candy or a truck

Hi!

Yes, I have heard about the concept and thought that it was a good fit for the game. The story is basically that the protagonist is on their own, far away from home and needs to bring home the cargo, no matter what. They will endure they pain of picking up the radioactive cubes. They will not stop for anything until this cargo has been delivered despite the fact of being all alone on an alien planet without any way of communication.

Apart from that, I personally think that Sisu is a really beautiful word (or name). And I have seen it used sometimes by companies, but not the ones you showed. Interesting Smiley

I hope you dont mind me using this word?

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 04:38:48 AM »

Hi!

Yes, I have heard about the concept and thought that it was a good fit for the game. The story is basically that the protagonist is on their own, far away from home and needs to bring home the cargo, no matter what. They will endure they pain of picking up the radioactive cubes. They will not stop for anything until this cargo has been delivered despite the fact of being all alone on an alien planet without any way of communication.

Apart from that, I personally think that Sisu is a really beautiful word (or name). And I have seen it used sometimes by companies, but not the ones you showed. Interesting Smiley

I hope you dont mind me using this word?

Sounds like the protagonist has plenty of sisu, so using the word is fine by me  Smiley.

Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (Devlog) || Nuclear Rune - Tactical party RPG (Devlog) || Ebonscale Games
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 04:47:14 AM »

Sounds like the protagonist has plenty of sisu, so using the word is fine by me  Smiley.

Great, I am glad to hear it Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 12:06:45 AM »

#Update 1

So yesterday I was working on trying to find the right feeling for the graphics (colors and geometry). Im not sure I got much wiser, but here are some different versions. Its really hard to both find colors you like and highlight whats important in the scene to the player. Any tips?

All feedback is much appreciated Smiley

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:18:26 AM by Nordanvinden » Logged

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 02:01:01 AM »

So yesterday I was working on trying to find the right feeling for the graphics (colors and geometry). Im not sure I got much wiser, but here are some different versions. Its really hard to both find colors you like and highlight whats important in the scene to the player. Any tips?

This one looks best to me.  Having subdued colors for the world makes it easier to use lighting to draw the players attention.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »

This one looks best to me.  Having subdued colors for the world makes it easier to use lighting to draw the players attention.

Yeah, thats a good point! I think I might just have the first level take place during night to make it easier for the player to know whats important in the game.

Thanks! Smiley

OpticalOverride (Alex)
Level 0

25 - Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »

Just played the demo for a bit, really fun! Good controls and interesting game mechanics (buoyancy puzzles were neat). It was fun having the "ah-ha" moment when I realized the little collectible trinkets were affecting my movement mechanics.

I played about half of the demo, so I'm not sure if you added this, but maybe one of the collectibles could make you sink faster and allow you to sort of "swim" underwater? Not sure if there are interesting puzzles to be made with that (maybe not), but could be fun.

Null Vector devlog (an arcade roguelite game) https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60300.0
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »

Just played the demo for a bit, really fun! Good controls and interesting game mechanics (buoyancy puzzles were neat). It was fun having the "ah-ha" moment when I realized the little collectible trinkets were affecting my movement mechanics.

I played about half of the demo, so I'm not sure if you added this, but maybe one of the collectibles could make you sink faster and allow you to sort of "swim" underwater? Not sure if there are interesting puzzles to be made with that (maybe not), but could be fun.

Thats a good suggestion! The idea is that Im adding new cubes with different abilities when the player reaches new points/worlds in the game. So if there will be a water-heavy world, it might fit right in.

Thanks for trying out the demo and providing good feedback Smiley much appreciated!

#Update 2
So last friday I kept on working on the graphics and I think I ended up with something that worked pretty well for a first level. Attracting the player to what is important in the scene (Energy cubes! Beer!)

Here are some images from the final result:

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »

#Update 3

So far this week I have mostly been working on adding audio to the game. Things like walking, jumping, rolling and collecting pickups.

This video also gives level 1 a quite nice overview.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »

#Update 4

Yesterday I mainly worked on trying to give the main character a bit more life-like feeling.

I dont think I ended up with anything final, but here are some different prototypes. Which one do you like the best?  Blink

And here are some quick sketches:

OpticalOverride (Alex)
Level 0

25 - Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »

Personally, of the 4 character GIFs, I really like the third from the top (the plain cube with the 4 "legs"). It looks like the cube is standing up and running, I think it gives the character the most "life". The first GIF is nice though too, makes the cube look kinda like a ghost Shocked

Null Vector devlog (an arcade roguelite game) https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60300.0
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »

Personally, of the 4 character GIFs, I really like the third from the top (the plain cube with the 4 "legs"). It looks like the cube is standing up and running, I think it gives the character the most "life". The first GIF is nice though too, makes the cube look kinda like a ghost Shocked

I actually kept on working a bit on it, and I ended up with something similar to the third one. I will update with a post tomorrow I think. Thanks for the feedback, great to hear that you felt the same way about the third one Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

#Update 5

Alright, so here is the new character animation. More still needs to be done, but I think its a step in the right direction.

New animation in action:

I have also finished level 2 mostly. Only a few minor things left to fix there.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:21 PM »

#Update 6

Updated the character animation again. Added some bobbing up and down which makes it feel more alive I think. Probably needs some more work, but good for now. Also created the third level and added some new trees.

New animation in action:

Also finished first version of level 3:

Log and Pine tree models that were added in level 3:

bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »

I really like the direction where this is heading. Can't wait to see more.

Did you consider using a starry dark night as a skybox? I feel like it would be cool to see stars or a moon in the background. You can alternate between that and the mountain side.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic