Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:56:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 40745 times)
Karin E. Skoog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »

So much new stuff since I last had a proper look at your DevLog! The artstyle is really coming along! The lighting alone changes the mood of the scene a lot.

The magnet additions look interesting to try out, though I hope the pusher magnets don't feel too punishing! (Especially since I found the pushers, pre-magnet, a little punishing!) Hard to tell without playing to see how it feels.

Really enjoying your DevLogs! Awesome to see how the game is progressing.

A "digital nomad" indiedev, traveling across Asia! Globetrotting Blog

@GoldenMooseCo
@BorneoGame
@KarinESkoog
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:50 AM »

Prototyping new art style

I really like the direction this is heading. And it feels so much more plausible than the old direction did. Also a friend (ItsMadsTalking) made a  mock up of what he though it should look like:

I think it look really cool with the organic environment in contrast to the alien cube. What do you guys think, should I go towards this style?

Yes - the alien nature of the main character immersed in a natural environment is evocative and threatening - in a good way.

Thanks for the feedback, great to know how it comes across Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2017, 01:24:31 AM »

So much new stuff since I last had a proper look at your DevLog! The artstyle is really coming along! The lighting alone changes the mood of the scene a lot.

The magnet additions look interesting to try out, though I hope the pusher magnets don't feel too punishing! (Especially since I found the pushers, pre-magnet, a little punishing!) Hard to tell without playing to see how it feels.

Really enjoying your DevLogs! Awesome to see how the game is progressing.

Hey!

Yeah, the light has improved a lot I think. Its a way easier art style to add light to as well, so its not necessarily me getting better at it suddenly, but still Smiley

Im glad it looks interesting. I will really try to make the learning curve well paced. I havent really implemented the magnet pushers into a level yet actually so I will see how it feels in the end.

Thanks for reading it and letting me know you like it, really helps for motivation Smiley

I have been meaning to try out your new demo. The new control-scheme looks sweet when being able to shoot in different directions!  Well, hello there!

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2017, 01:37:18 AM »

#Update 74 - Final version of level 2

Level 1_2 is finished and I started looking into sounds for the pushers. Its a tricky one but I think Im on the right path. I have them spinning with a low frequency sound at the moment. Ill upload a youtube video as soon as it feels done.

Level 1_2

I also tried cutting off the underground parts visually. What do you think feels the best?

With roof.

Without roof.

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:20 AM »

The backgrounds are soo good =O Especially the light effects. WTF

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Karin E. Skoog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »

Thanks for reading it and letting me know you like it, really helps for motivation Smiley

I have been meaning to try out your new demo. The new control-scheme looks sweet when being able to shoot in different directions!  Well, hello there!

Absolutely! It definitely helps with motivation to hear people's thoughts, and I'm very excited for Sisu! I love that little cube. Smiley

Our new build should be up sometime next week. I threw together a quick level today to play around with some of the new enemies. It shouldn't take much longer to finish it up. Gotta say - you were absolutely right! Shooting in different directions adds so much to the gameplay.

A "digital nomad" indiedev, traveling across Asia! Globetrotting Blog

@GoldenMooseCo
@BorneoGame
@KarinESkoog
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »

The backgrounds are soo good =O Especially the light effects. WTF

I'm glad that you like them and thanks for letting me know! Very helpful  Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2017, 12:58:22 AM »

Absolutely! It definitely helps with motivation to hear people's thoughts, and I'm very excited for Sisu! I love that little cube. Smiley

Our new build should be up sometime next week. I threw together a quick level today to play around with some of the new enemies. It shouldn't take much longer to finish it up. Gotta say - you were absolutely right! Shooting in different directions adds so much to the gameplay.

Thats very nice of you to say Smiley Really makes me wanna put more work into that little cube.

Oh sweet! I'm glad to hear that you liked it, cant wait to try it out  Grin Im already imagining the air battles!

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »

#Update 75 - Sound and graphical upgrades

Yesterday I did a lot of different things and I tried to document most of them.

Colors for enemies and energies
There was an issue with having red-ish enemies and a red energy cube. Because I really want the player to notice the cubes in the environment so they have to pop color wise. First I tried making the stomper either brown-earthy or greenish. But earthy felt a bit too boring. And green communicates that its something good. So I decided to go with purple-pink colors. Here is the result:

Graphical upgrades

# Energy pickups

The biggest change is that I have decided to remove the infection pattern that the main character got when picking up cubes. I felt that it did not go well with the new art style in the sense of being too detailed. Instead the whole character changes color and I think its both more clear that the energy cube affects the player, but also its visually more pleasing.

# Shadows and light

So the ground material now supports shadows and gets affected by point lights. This is the result:

# World map numbers

So before the numbers always got rendered on top of everything. On the edges of the planet this often created an illusion of being on top of the level, when in fact you were not. So I added the beam to the ship and changed so that the numbers are not displayed on top of the ship. This is the result:

# Beam color

I also changed the beam color to communicate that its a good thing for the player. But also to differentiate it a bit more from the background.

World map audio

I wanted to add sound to the world map to add the same level of detail to all parts of the game. I tried adding some basic ambiance, sound when moving with the spaceship and when selecting level. Technically its working, but now I need to find better suiting sounds.

Extra

Just a random gif from when I tried to add inertia to the spaceship.

Hyper speed travelling.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

#Update 76 - World map colors and night light

It is the last week here at Stugan and we are leaving for Stockholm on Friday. After 6 weeks of intense development I can really feel that Im a bit tired, but I will try to take some time off after we get back. It also means that I have pulled back a little on how much I try to get done each day to have time to hang out with people here and not strain myself too much.

Anyway, yesterday I  decided to let the player light behave differently on night levels opposed to day levels. Here is what it looks like:

On a day light level.

On a night light level.

World map colors and cannons

The world map got updated with new colors and new (but still temporary probably) models for the cannons.

New colors for planets.

New cannons.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »

#Update 77 - Stugan

So this is the first day back working after Stugan. I took a week of vacation trying to recharge my batteries. But from now on I will try to post daily again Smiley

Stugan was amazing. Having the opportunity to focus on my game 100% while having mentors from the industry visiting and other talanted game developers around me all the time was truly invaluable. It is going to be a big change of pace being back home, but thanks to Stugan I now have a very clear goal in mind of where to take Sisu. I am so grateful I got this opportunity  Shrug

View of the beautiful landscape around Stugan.

Stugan finale

Stugan ended with an event in Stockholm where everyone got to show their games. It was so much fun seeing people playing Sisu and enjoying themselves. This will keep my motivation on top for the rest of development  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alright, back to work!  Hand Joystick
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:11:31 AM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »

#Update 78 - Travelling around planets

So the first day back was good. I mostly did administrative stuff like sending e mails and getting back into it. But I did manage to do some coding.

Something a lot of people has mentioned is the possibility to travel around the planets. From the start I made a restriction because I felt that it just added complexity. But now I need the extra space if there is going to be 20 levels on each planet. Also it is a really nice effect and since almost everyone wanted to be able to do it, I decided I would give it a shot.

I really like how it turned out and it only added some minor problems. The big one remaining is how to handle the camera when travelling between planets. It already works but does not feel very good. Anyway, this is what the rotation looks like right now:

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »

#Update 79 - World map updates

I kept on working on the world map with different results.

I have this idea of entering the world map instantly when the game starts (instead of having this extra start-menu-screen), but I ran into a few issues so I had to postpone that solution.

I also started looking into handling planatery travel better, because now it just goes too quick. Its a bit nauseating when the camera flips over so fast. It turned out to be a bit more work than I expected so that is also postponed for a while.

Planatery travel.

The layout of the levels on the forst planet is now more path like. I think this helpes a lot when trying to guide the player to the level you want them to choose.

Level path layout.

There are still things needed to be done on the world map, but I am going to switch over to creating the final levels now. Those are the most critical thing to be able to get a feeling for how the game will play at the moment. It is also good to get some variation Smiley

Funky FOV

I messed around a little bit with the fov of the camera and this happened. Pretty cool in a way  Tongue

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »

#Update 80 - New maps and UI update

So yesterday I updated the UI from 2D to 3D and added a particle effect when collecting energy.

First iteration of UI effect when collecting energy.

I also changes the mesh of the energy to being an icosahedron instead of a cube. Before when the energy followed the player and interacted with the world, the shape mattered a lot. Now it can be any arbitrary shape.

Icosahedron energy.

I am also starting to re do all the levels for the first world based on all the feedback I have gotten at stugan and other places. Its things like:
- When and how things/mechanics are introduced.
- Difficulty curves for mechanics.
- Letting the player use the last collected cube before having to enter the spaceship beam.

Level 1_1

Level 1_3

brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2017, 06:14:31 AM »

Joao from Stugan here!

Awesome devlog so far, man, you're doing a great job! Replying so I can get to subscribe to your posts! Go Sisu!  Beer!

Loved the new UI btw.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »

Joao from Stugan here!

Awesome devlog so far, man, you're doing a great job! Replying so I can get to subscribe to your posts! Go Sisu!  Beer!

Loved the new UI btw.

Hey man! Great that you are here  Toast Left Grin Toast Right

Thanks, really appreciate those kind words!

And why didnt I know that you have a tigsource page? I just checked yours out, looks really great! But you should update a bit more often, I wanna know the latest news for Dandara Wink

#Update 81 - New maps and stopping tech

I created a new method for keeping the player inside the level. Before, I used specific bounding boxes on each side of the level to stop the player through physics.

Now instead, I use a bounding box to keep the player inside the level by keeping track of if the character is inside this box. If they are outside, then Ill return them to the latest acceptable position inside the bounding box. This is the same bounding box that I use to control the cameras moving area.

I basically do this to make things smoother when creating so many levels. If things update autamatically (and are simpler), I concider it a win.

Player getting stopped as soon as outside bounding box.

I also added level 1_4 which introduces pushers and started on level 1_5 which will repeating what the player has learned on previous levels.

Level 1_4

Half done level 1_5

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »

#Update 82 - Recap map

So I finished level 1_5 and came up with some new ways of combining the pushers and stompers. The one I liked the most was the "stomper gate" thats created out of two stompers.

Stomper gate.

The idea of the recap map is to repeat what the player has learned in the previous levels up until now. So it includes multiple cubes, stompers, pushers, water, walljump and rolling.

Finished level 1_5.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »

#Update 83 - Started on map generating tool

I finished level 1_6 which is introducing the wind concepts.

Finished level 1_6.

I also started working on a tool that would use my main path to generate the rest of the level. I have a good start but it is far from done.

Early version of level generation tool.

I am also imagining it will generate the background. I will also have to adress that the objects are getting occluded as soon as the camera enters them. But I think I have an idea that I will try out next time I get time to work on this tool!

damo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

Just discovered this and have read through all your posts. Amazing work! Looks amazing. Love the feel of it all.

One thing I thought that could be cool is that when swimming on the top of the water the eye could come up like a periscope and kind of look around, would look cute and cool
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

Just discovered this and have read through all your posts. Amazing work! Looks amazing. Love the feel of it all.

One thing I thought that could be cool is that when swimming on the top of the water the eye could come up like a periscope and kind of look around, would look cute and cool

Thank you! It means a lot to hear that, happy that you like it  Grin

Oh that sounds sweet. That would definitely look cute and also enhance the fact that you're at the surface. I am trying to lock down the game at the moment so not sure how many more animations I will have, but I really appreciate the tip Smiley

#Update 84 - Enemy support

Layout of level 1_7 is finished and it introduces both the spinner and some more advanced features of the water. What I am trying to teach as well is the fact that you can use the enemies as a means of transportation. They are sort of "supporting you" in reaching places which are not possible otherwise. Or they might just make it more convenient, like the pusher elevator.

Pusher elevator.

Thrown by spinner.

Thrown again.

Level 1_7

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic