Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:20:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 40746 times)
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »

I really like the direction where this is heading. Can't wait to see more.

Did you consider using a starry dark night as a skybox? I feel like it would be cool to see stars or a moon in the background. You can alternate between that and the mountain side.

Im glad to hear it Grin

Yes, I have been thinking about adding something like that at a later stage. And when you put it like that, I can really see it being a good idea for the atmosphere. Thanks for the tip Smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:24:38 AM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »

#Update 7

Almost done with level 4. There is interactive water in this one, which turned out quite well. It will potentially be hard to see whats under the water though.. hmm   Blink

Level 4.

Player floating in the water.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »

#Update 8

Yesterday I worked on a tool for switching gameobject to prefabs in one click.

I also had a lot of trouble with baking light maps. Seems like Unity 5.5 is not very good at this when some geometry is getting too big (Like my level-geoemtry). Not sure how to solve this at the moment.. Any tips?  Shrug

This appeared when I got the idea of having light coming through the holes in the wall. But since the lightmaps did not want to finish, Im not sure how to proceed.

First version of level 5.

Light coming in through hole in wall.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »

#Update 9

So thursday started out with one of my meshes being messed up from repository cleaning.. so I made a new better one, which I had planned anyway.

Messed up trees.

New big pine model.

Then I started working on level 6. I have tried different approaches to create the level-mesh and I think Im starting to find a good work flow.

Started blocking out level 6.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »

The controls look amazing, and I like the backgrounds. However, to be very honest, I'm not totally convinced by the main character, even with the fun walk animation, it still feels like a cube (well, it is a cube). I understand it may not be your goal, but I would be very curious to see that with a more credible character and good animations. (I saw your mockup for an improved character, but all of them still feel very cubic, yet I think it should be possible to have something a lot more alive while still keeping the possibility to make it roll into a vague cubic shape.)

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

The controls look amazing, and I like the backgrounds. However, to be very honest, I'm not totally convinced by the main character, even with the fun walk animation, it still feels like a cube (well, it is a cube). I understand it may not be your goal, but I would be very curious to see that with a more credible character and good animations. (I saw your mockup for an improved character, but all of them still feel very cubic, yet I think it should be possible to have something a lot more alive while still keeping the possibility to make it roll into a vague cubic shape.)

Ah I see. I have been trying to make the cubish character look more alive, but I totally understand what you mean. It would be nice with some animations for running and such, that totally shakes off the cubic shape(I really want it to feel like a credible character). However, a big problem appears when the cube rotates, which messes up all animations. It also needs to be a cubis shape, since all of the physics and logic is based around that. Right now im doing all the animating in a shader, which has its pros and cons.

At the very least I will try adding an eye that is animated. I think that will add to the "alive" feeling.

Thank you for the kind words and the honest feedback , I really appreciate it! Smiley

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »

I'm not sure at all, but I think you're on a good track for that "alive" feeling with your sketches, maybe if you just round a bit those sharp edges it could change it quite a lot, while still keeping the global cubic aspect. Then when the character rolls, you could curl inside its characteristics (tail, head, wings...), and deploy them again when he stops? (I have a very vague idea how this all works so I may be totally wrong, I just used this technique on a old prototype of mine for a party game, with cute "lizard cubes" (?) that could dash by rolling very fast, all curled up).

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »

I'm not sure at all, but I think you're on a good track for that "alive" feeling with your sketches, maybe if you just round a bit those sharp edges it could change it quite a lot, while still keeping the global cubic aspect. Then when the character rolls, you could curl inside its characteristics (tail, head, wings...), and deploy them again when he stops? (I have a very vague idea how this all works so I may be totally wrong, I just used this technique on a old prototype of mine for a party game, with cute "lizard cubes" (?) that could dash by rolling very fast, all curled up).

Ah, yeah I think I understand what you mean. If you do it right, it sounds like it could look really nice. Thanks for the ideas Smiley

#Update 10

Last friday I:
  • Finished level 6.
  • Found a nice way of altering the player-path-edges without having the geoemtry cut into other object. Or where the player is moving.
  • Boxed out level 7.
  • Boxed out level 8.

Finished level 6.

pointy edges on player path.

Blocked out level 7.

Blocked out level 8.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »

#Update 11

So yesterday I automated reference finding of energy cubes and interactable objects (things that needs to tick every frame) to make it more convenient when having many levels.

I also boxed out level 10 and 11 (Boss level). I think level 9 needs to be remade, so havent decided what to do with it yet. Maybe just cut it out of the game.

Logs in the water.

Blocked out level 10.

Blocked out level 11. The boss level!

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »

#Update 12

I implemented two new things yesterday as well as finishing level 7 and 8.

1: There is now a fade in and fade out between each level. This actually made a big difference for the overall feeling.

2: The player cannot enter wall-state when in water anymore. This was due to issues with player getting stuck between tight areas when wanting to jump from the cieling of caves.

Finished level 7.

Finished level 8.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »

#Update 13

Finally finished with the main graphics remake of the first worlds graphics. Level 10 and 11 was done yesterday.

Also updated graphics for the wind and added positions for all the secrets. (Each level is supposed to have one secret/extra thing to collect. Kind of like the band aid in Super meat boy). Not sure yet what it will affect though  Huh?

Finished level 10.

Finished level 11.

Visuals for wind.

Accidentally found this version when trying to make wind. Potentially cool for some eletric storm or attack?

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »

#Update 14

Finished visuals for the beam and started working on the visuals for the spinning "enemies".

New visual for beam.

Suggestion 1 for spinning enemies.

Suggestion 2 for spinning enemies.

Suggestion 3 for spinning enemies.

I do like suggestion 1 the most (suggestion 3 looks a bit too aggressive), even though its a bit thin and draws too much attention to itself. Probably not the best visual representation of when it will start to affect the player physically either. But when you put them all together as I planned to.. damn, there is a lot going on.. WTF

Suggestion 1 in game scenario.

OrinaryIndieDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »

This is all looking real nice!
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 12:40:48 AM »

This is all looking real nice!

Thanks! These kind comments truly helps keeping the motivation up Smiley

#Update 15

So I have been away this week, but I have been able get some work done. I have been able to finish the first iteration of "Spinning enemies" at least. A big part of it was also to try to make it look ok with multiple stompers next to eachother, since I often put like 5 in a row.

1 - 1.

1 - 2.

2 - 1.

2 - 2. -> FINAL VERSION FOR NOW.

I also tried using some physics to get the rotation of the roots right. But it just ended up being very unpredictable. It was kind of expected, but hey! You gotta try new stuff Smiley

I got this kind of nice rope-liana thing going. Might use that for later.

Physics bloopers.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »

#Update 16

Now I have finished replacing all of the "spinning enemies" that are pushing you back in different ways. This time its the "Spinning Pusher" and the "Spinning Pendulum".

Spinning pushers.

Spinning pendulum.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:05 PM »

#Update 17

Currently working on getting the main character up to speed with the rest of the graphics. This means jumping animations and adding something that makes the protagonist feel more alive.

Some different jump animations that I tried out

The one Ill probably choose for now.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »

#Update 18

This time I have tried to add an eye to make the character feel more alive and like a creature. There were a few issues that shaped the solution.

One was that I needed the eye to be a separate mesh from the body. That made it look wierd though, since the eye didnt jiggle along with the body.

Stiff eye.

So the solution for rather small time frame ended up being closing the eye when running. I really like the effect though, it almost feels like the character is just running for it. being afraid.

And this is just a still image that I happened to get when pausing the game. I though it looked pretty cool, almost like a poster  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 04:31:24 AM »

The "legs" on the cube are pretty great. They remind me of that pajama dance gif. Adding a bit of squash and stretch to the jumps could be pretty awesome too.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:11 PM »

The "legs" on the cube are pretty great. They remind me of that pajama dance gif. Adding a bit of squash and stretch to the jumps could be pretty awesome too.

Hey! Thanks for the tips and feedback, appreciate it!
Totally agree with the squash and stretch. I will hopefully have time to look into that soon.
And its very clear with the images Hand Thumbs Up Right Grin  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Maybe a bit too clear with the pajama dance, haha  Cheesy

#Update 19

I have started working on the world map where you will choose which level to play.

First prototype of world map.

So basically what I do is using the x and y position of the spaceship (grey cube) as longitude and latitude. Then I convert to the cartesian coordinate system from the spherical coordinate system.

Here is a C# code snippet:

Code:

var x = PlanetRadius * Mathf.Cos ( position.x ) * Mathf.Sin ( position.y );
var y = PlanetRadius * Mathf.Sin ( position.x ) * Mathf.Sin ( position.y );
var z = PlanetRadius * Mathf.Cos ( position.y );

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »

#Update 20

I have kept working on the world map. The numbers above are supposed to symbolise which level it is and the numbers below how many energy cubes the level contains. I might change this since it might be a bit unnecessary to show the energy amount before hovering above the level.

Concept
The idea is that you will be able to go straight to the boss if you wish. But to get to the next planet, you need a certain amount of energy cubes. This means that you might only need to finish 7/10 levels on world 1 to proceed. I hope this is a good thing to keep people from getting stuck.

Updated prototype version of world map. In the end a level is selected.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic