Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:05:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 42847 times)
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »

#Update 161 - Audio update

I have kept on working with adding audio, this time for the levels. And for the forest levels, this also included all the general audio for things like the wind, the character, the flowers, the beaming up and down etc. I still haven't finished up quite yet, but I will post a video later with all the audio.
Here is a list of whats been added this time:

Character
  • Running
  • Jumping
  • Swimming
  • Swimming under water
  • Getting hit
  • Falling into things
  • Rolling up slopes

General
  • Beam down
  • Beam up
  • Picking up energy
  • Flower retracting into ground
  • Picking up secret
  • Water splash
  • Wind
  • Checkpoints

Forest
  • Stomper enemy
  • Pusher enemy
  • Spinner enemy
  • Enemies impacting with player

Things left to do in the forest
  • Ambiance day
  • Ambiance night
  • Boss related audio

The ambiance is a bit special. At this time, it is just playing an audio file, but I am thinking about writing a small "ambiance audio system" that randomizes which bird will chirp and things like that. This could come in handy for the other levels as well. The point would be to make it sound less repetitive.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »

#Update 162 - UI Fading

I have implemented the sound for the menu UI now, and realized that the fade ins and outs for audio and visuals when restarting and going to the world map needed some updates. Also when exiting the game.

This is what it looks like now (and you can imagine that the audio fades out and in with the same pacing  Tongue)

Restarting level.

Going to world map from level.

I am still working on adding and finishing up all of the audio and will post an update as soon as that's done.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

#Update 163 - Visual feedback and audio updates

I have kept adding new audio but also some visual feedback where I felt it was needed.

So when getting hit by an ice orb the player gets frozen for a short while. This is communicated to the player through audio and visuals. I have also added a small particle affect when the player thaws.

Getting frozen by an ice orb. Small particle feedback along with audio when thawing.

I also felt that the visual feedback when flapping was not satisfying or good enough. So I added a small affect every time the player activates a flap.

Visual feedback when flapping.

I also added audio for:
- Under water currents.
- Spitters.
- Ice Orbs when impacting and exploding.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2018, 12:44:17 AM »

#Update 164 - Slamming Visual Feedback

I have added some additional feedback when activating the slam ability. The idea is that the green diamionds are being released when slamming down, and then recharged.

Final version.

Early prototype where "air" got shot upwards when slamming down.

I have also added some more audio for the Ice-world fish boss and some other things. There are not too many things left to create audio for so thats nice  Smiley

I have also started looking into Steam-related and console-related things which is interesting but also takes up a lot of time.

Some extra footage of the character playing around with slamming in water.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »

#Update 165 - A mix of updates

Oh man, time flies, and I have mostly been working on non-tigsource-friendly-stuff. But I have some new things to write about finally Smiley

Steam
So I have managed to register my company om steam and upload a build that I have been able to download, and it works! Such a nice feeling to have your game (even though its not public  Tongue) downloadable from Steam.

So there was some "paperwork" that was necessary to be able to get access to all of the steam works stuff, but all in all it was a very smooth process.

Hopefully Ill be able to test the game easily now on different computers and get some information about if something is not working as intended.

Dynamic audio system
So I tried to make a more dynamic ambience audio system for the forest and ice world. It kind of worked but it also had a few issues. The idea was to have a number of separate bird sound files and play them randomly. Easy enough right? The problem was that the audio files that I had included a lot of background noise. So I also needed to have some general background noise playing at all times to not make it sounds weird. But it still kind of did. I also did not have a clear idea about what the ambiance audio should be for the ice world.

To get a cleaner bird sound, I tried recording my own whistling, which turned out ok. But the lack of "forest ambiance" in the audio made it sound super flat. I could probably have spent time on having the audio sound like it came from the right, or left with different nuances, but it just felt like too much work at this point. And I was not even sure it would sound that good. And what about the ice world?

One of the whistles trying to sound like a bird: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1warbLEegYAT3n9huAhQoeHekczAdCdpf

So I decided to use longer audio recordings of forests with bird in them (and other longer recordings for the ice and lava world). I added a few of them for each world and then randomize which one plays at the start of each level. This way it still feels dynamic and there is no issue with volume levels or the "forest ambiance"-feeling.

This solution also have some issues, but I think its the best sounding, and simplest solution so far.

Other updates

Showing current version number in game menu (lower right corner).

Updated controller button information.

I have also:
- Added lava particles when things go through the lava surface.
- Added audio for lava boss arms going up and down.
- Handled console options vs PC options (resolution and such).
- Added console controller scheme to options.
- Volume adjustments.
- A few bug fixes.

Other updates
So one of the last things to do game-wise is adding the final audio for the lava boss and the birds on the ice level.

The last major thing in general though is to port it to the X-console and hope that they accept the game into their store. That is all for now, but hopefully there will be more updates soon Smiley

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2018, 03:11:13 AM »

What are your plans for the music? :-)

Hey!

The plan is to start by only having ambience-like audio and then build from that. You can hear parts of it in the #160 update Smiley

Awesome! It sounds excellent to me. If you need some more ambient music, maybe we can collaborate. Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »

This looks great! I love his little walk and how expressive his eye is.

I'm doing sort of a similar style of character in my game (small and cube-y) and I'm in the process of the same debate you had toward the beginning of the devlog in terms of whether to give them a head or more features or not. It's really helpful to see how you worked through it and how the response was!

I dig the boss heartbeat sound on the world map, too. It really does add a nice tension. You generally want some energy around 250 to 300 hz for 'laptop bass' to come out. Once that's there, try adding a high shelf to taste. Not so much that the highs are audible, listen for it sounding like the bass is 'pushing air'. I think heartbeats in media often have a bit of energy somewhere between 800-1200 hz too. That's just a guess from picturing the sound in my head though so take it with a grain of salt.

Unsure if the icons on the pause screen is a good idea. I didn't get 'World Map' from that button on it's own. Have you tried it with labels?

Also, hear me out on the 'flap' indicator: If you have those orbs rotate in a circle underneath the character, then you can make it so Sisu kind of 'jumps' on each one and they pop individually. In my opinion it would make for a stronger and more intuitive visual metaphor. Not that it's too hard to understand what's going on as-is, but it might save your players just a second or two of puzzling it out.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »

This looks great! I love his little walk and how expressive his eye is.

I'm doing sort of a similar style of character in my game (small and cube-y) and I'm in the process of the same debate you had toward the beginning of the devlog in terms of whether to give them a head or more features or not. It's really helpful to see how you worked through it and how the response was!

Hey!

That's great, I'm glad that you could find some help and inspiration!

I dig the boss heartbeat sound on the world map, too. It really does add a nice tension. You generally want some energy around 250 to 300 hz for 'laptop bass' to come out. Once that's there, try adding a high shelf to taste. Not so much that the highs are audible, listen for it sounding like the bass is 'pushing air'. I think heartbeats in media often have a bit of energy somewhere between 800-1200 hz too. That's just a guess from picturing the sound in my head though so take it with a grain of salt.

Good to hear that you use the word tension since its right before going into a boss level.

That is some good information, thanks! Its one of those things you easily forget to test and figure out how to solve in a manageable way. But checking the hz-range totally makes sense.

Unsure if the icons on the pause screen is a good idea. I didn't get 'World Map' from that button on it's own. Have you tried it with labels?

I do agree with you. Sometimes it is really heard to convey what the icons mean, but in this case I two main reasons for keeping them instead of text.

1: I think that when you have clicked that symbol once, you will know what is does. There are also only 3 other options which are quite clear what they do. It also correlates with the red colored background as being something "exit" like.

2: My main goal with the UI (and the whole game) was to stay away from using any text. This is mainly to keep the project smaller and avoid having to localize (translate) the game.

Also, hear me out on the 'flap' indicator: If you have those orbs rotate in a circle underneath the character, then you can make it so Sisu kind of 'jumps' on each one and they pop individually. In my opinion it would make for a stronger and more intuitive visual metaphor. Not that it's too hard to understand what's going on as-is, but it might save your players just a second or two of puzzling it out.

I really like that suggestion. That could look so sweet! If I get the time, thats definately something I would like to do, Thank you!

Haha a little animation of that *pop* and sisu flying upwards keep playing in my head.

Thanks for all the great feedback and for checking out my dev log!

And that "The Decision Engine" you are working on looks really cool. I'm going to check it out as soon as I get the time!

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »

#Update 166 - Post effects

So I had some time last week to work on the post-effects. The Color Grading made the biggest different in my opition. It made the scene and colors come together a bit more.

The forest with NO post effects.

The forest with post effects.

Ice world with NO post effects.

Ice world with post effects.

I also tried adding Depth Of Field (DOF) to the game. But there are too many transparent object and particle effects in the game that gets blurred as well. So I have decided to not use DOF.

I did however try to create a transparent beam that would write to the depth buffer so the DOF would not blur it. It looked ok but it felt like it could add a lot of work in terms of testing.

Beam that writes to depth buffer so DOF handles it better.

Game without DOF

Game with DOF

Blurred beam when DOF is activated.

What do you guys think, is it ok to skip DOF?

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 03, 2019, 03:36:21 AM »

Time for Release on Nintendo Switch and Steam (PC) - 27th of February

Woh, it's been a long time since I posted regularly here. The main reason for that is that the development of the actual game ended quite a while back. So the last year has mostly consisted of "porting" the game to Nintendo Switch and setting up a company called Solvarg. There are things I could have written about for sure, but I just had too many other things to keep track of and I'm sorry about that.

So "The Lost Light of Sisu" will be released for Nintendo Switch and Steam (PC) on the 27th of February. Super exciting for me since it's the first game that I have ever released. So many new things to learn about! Smiley

Release Trailer:

Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/876150/The_Lost_Light_of_Sisu/

Nintendo Switch:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-lost-light-of-sisu-switch#game-info

Screenshots
Here are some screenshots, you can find more in the press kit: Sisu Press Kit.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2019, 06:08:51 AM »

Good luck! I'll get a copy on Steam when it's out Smiley
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »

Good luck! I'll get a copy on Steam when it's out Smiley

Hey, Thank you! I really appreciate that Smiley