Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:48:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 42702 times)
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »

#Update 30

So yesterday I tried to find some fun things involving pillars and rotating blocks. Here are some of the things I came up with:

Jumping forward on some rotating blocks.

Jumping backwards on some rotating blocks.

Jumping on falling pillars.

I also started looking into falling ice and some dynamic enemies. Not fully sure yet how they will behave, look or work. But usually it figures itself out when you experiement with the initial thought. Unless it turns out not to be fun, then its time to scrap (usually Smiley ).

Karin E. Skoog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »

By the way, congrats on getting into Stugan! Can't wait to hear how that goes.

The new design concepts look like a lot of fun to play around with. Hope to try some of them out in the next demo. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:46:33 PM by Golden Moose Studios Karin » Logged

A "digital nomad" indiedev, traveling across Asia! Globetrotting Blog

@GoldenMooseCo
@BorneoGame
@KarinESkoog
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:14 PM »

By the way, congrats on getting into Stugan! Can't wait to hear how that goes.

The new design concepts look like a lot of fun to play around with. Hope to try some of them out in the next demo. Smiley

Thank you! Grin  I am starting to get really nervous but also excited.

Its great that hear that the design concepts looks fun to play. Hopefully the next demo isn't too far away (but probably a couple of weeks at least).

#Update 31

Yesterday I generally kept on fiddling with the ice world concepts.

I ended up having some trouble with stuttery and jerky AI movement. The enemy was set to be a kinematic rigid body and used the "Rigidbody.MovePosition" method in a FixedUpdate loop. I have read different theories on how to solve this problem, but could not get it to work properly. I did however realize that I probably want to have the enemies being dynamic rigid bodies to simulate a better (and more fun) fish-behavior. So hopefully that will work out better.

Avoiding falling ice.

Getting outsmarted by that clever flying fish AI!

Jumping on iceblocks floating in the water.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

#Update 32

So I kept on working on the fish AI and I am not sure where I have landed really. Its behaviour is too random at this point I think, even though it can create some really nice moments. It becomes unpredictable (good or bad) but also unpredictable in the sense of me not being able to rely on that it will keep the player from crossing a water obstacle.

I think its going in the right direction, but I need to make it less random.

Fish in water this time. Still aggressive though.

I also added the possibility to push icicles down from the roof. They should hopefully protect you from the fish.

When it goes right..

When it goes wrong.. kind of.

Also, under water currents have been added to make for better water-obsticles. They hopefully work well together with the fishes as well.

Under water currents.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:58:58 PM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »

#Update 33

A new enemy under the code name "ice bear" has been introduced. It is basically a land based obsticle which should stop the player from passing unless they possess the correct cube or solve it in a clever way.

I added the possibility for the bears to carry an energy cube. You need to possess a heavy cube to be able to make them drop it. I not sure about this and will keep on testing it out today. Somehow it feels unnecessarily complicated.

I also updated the fish by adding a nest, so its possible to see where it originates. And also a sort of visual representation of the area where it will be aggressive and attack you.

Getting past bear by walljumping and pushing ice.

Steal cube from bear by possessing the heavy cube.

Updated visual representation of fish with nest and aggression area.

Map graph representation
During the weekend I also started looking into applying Mark Browns Zelda dungeon graph system on the maps of The Lost Light of Sisu. Where a lock could be a cliff you cannot climb with out having the jump cube, which then is the key.

Mark Browns visual representation of a dungeon in Zelda.

My first try of modifying this formula to fit The Lost Light of Sisu.

I will hopefully elaborate on this in a later post when I have tried it out more and made sure it actually makes sense Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 02:19:52 AM »

#Update 34

So I decided to remove the possibility for the bear to carry energy cubes.
I also removed the need of having a high enough falling-velocity to crush ice.

On top of this I decided to add some "smoke puffs" on impact when possessing a heavy cube. This should hopefully help indicating that you are a bit heavier.

Orange smoke puffs on impact when possessing heavy cube.

I also decided to update the under water current, since it was really hard to see where it had an effect.

New current vs old current.

I started working on a new level which should incorporate the falling ice first and foremost. But also have a puzzle in it as well as introducing under water swimming. It was actually first constructed as a map graph (see last post). When Im done with it, I will try to write a post that makes sense of how and why I like these graphs Smiley

Falling ice level prototype under construction.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »

#Update 35

Short update today:

- Updated looks and behaviour of prototype ice bear because of buggy behavior and physics bugs (getting stuck between hand and body and such). I kind of like how it just grows taller. Maybe it will end up looking like those ChuChu enemies in Zelda. Or like this ->  Mock Anger

- Created a under-water-current-maze kind of labyrinth to add some more "puzzle" parts. I might combine this with having patrolling fish that the player will need to avoid.

- Finished prototype for level 3. Also started working on level 4.

New look for bear.

Under-water-current-maze.

Prototype for ice world level 3.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 01:39:00 AM »

#Update 36

Yesterday I finished about half of level 4. This included a puzzle and two platform challenges. One of the challenges included ice-swings with a twist after picking up a gravity cube. And the other one is a platforming challenge with slippery ice.

Ice swings + gravity cube.

Failing against falling ice.

This is the puzzle challange that awaits in the start of level 4. Can you figure it out?  Huh?

Puzzle challange in the beginning of level 4.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:02:37 PM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »

#Update 37

So level 4 is done and I have started working on the map graphs for level 5 and 6.

I Changed a few things and updated the falling ice challange which was included in yesterdays post. It just didnt work that well when I wanted it to be possible to do with or without the gravity cube.

Falling ice challange without gravity cube.

Falling ice challange with gravity cube.

Sliding challange.

Final prototype for level 4.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:57:25 PM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »

#Update 38

Last friday I finished level 5 which includes the fish enemy. The fish needed some changes so here they are:

- Added red zone around it to make player understand when it will be aggressive. It will stop being aggressive as soon as the character is outside of this zone. Time will tell if this is good (too easy? too hard? fun?).
- Added possiblitiy to patrol multiple checkpoints.
- Changed behaviour when it has jumped up on land. So it only adds force horizontally instad of towrds the checkpoint.
- Removed collision between fish and character to make sure that the character always gets thrown in the correct direction.
- Made it possible for the fish to kick the player in one direction when in water and another as soon as its in the air.

I do wanna change it a bit more, but at least its usable now. I will let the testing show whats needed to be changed before doing more.

Red area showing agression area.

Multiple checkponts when patrolling.

Trying to attack through ice as soon as player is inside aggression area.

Fish kicking character out from water and on to land.

I finished also level 5 which should introduce and some platforming challanges.
Here is an overview:

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2017, 12:19:55 AM »

#Update 39

Level 6 is now finished and introduces the rotating blocks from #Update 30.

Platforming between rotating blocks.

Level 6.

I also started working on a level which is supposed to be very / completely dark. It will utilize the fact that the energy cubes glow and can be used as flashlights. I think this darkness adds some variaty to the gameplay and make the player pay attention to things more carefully.

Dark level concept.

I also worked on a bit on music for the game. These are very early versions, and might or might not make it into the game.

I was thinking that this one would play as soon as you start the game and when you hang out in the menus.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JcE3llNr7BTFlOUmJ2NHJ4dVk/view?usp=sharing

And this one would play in levels of world 1. aka forest levels. I like how its very soothing and makes me calm when I play.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JcE3llNr7BR0gzcWNtY2txbHM/view?usp=sharing

danresn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2017, 03:56:00 AM »

Music is a good start but I can't help but picture something a little more atmospheric/ethereal?

Maybe that's just me

Composer | Sound Designer
www.daniel-larsen.com
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »

Looking great!

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »

I really like this.  The motion feels so right  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »

Music is a good start but I can't help but picture something a little more atmospheric/ethereal?

Maybe that's just me

I see what you mean. That was actually what I though as well until I tried playing the level while having the music playing in the background. It is very calming. But you are right in that I might loose the atmospheric part, which would be a bad thing. I am planning to add bird chirping and such which would add to it. But probably not create a "exploration in space" kind of mood. Tricky.

Thanks for the feedback! I will keep at it  Smiley

Looking great!

Hey thanks! Really good to hear for motivation Grin

I really like this.  The motion feels so right  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Great to hear that you like it! I am actually thinking that I should try adding more of these "physical obsticles" into the game. Where you get the nice feeling only physics provide.

Thanks, helpes to know that you like it Smiley

#Update 40

I finished level 7 - the darkness level, as well as level 8 which is the first sliding level.

Fish in the darkness.

Finished level 6.

It is a bit hard to see with all the collision boxes showing, but there is an under water maze at the end with patrolling fishes. I hope that this adds to some varity and not confusion as to where the energy cubes can be found. It adds a bit of exploration to the game as well, which I rather like.

Sliding levels

I have been thinking that I want a type of level where you need to reach a cube in a specific time. Something similar to the "treasure chest levels" in ray man. Its basically that you need to reach a point in a ceratin time frame, otherwise you get to restart.

I do enjoy these levels where you mostly just run head on, sliding down slopes and push jump at the right time. What I didnt like about the ray man implementation is that its not very calming. So I decided trying to do one similar level with the intention of having frequent checkpoints to avoid that frustration and stress.

Sliding part 1.

Sliding part 2.

Sliding part 3.

Sliding level.

Between each sliding part there is a checkpoint where you grab a cube. Do you guys think this is a good way of mixing it up a little, or is it too stressfull for the game? (earlier in the game, it is basically hard to die, even though the grade of punishment that you receive is the same. You have to replay that one failed obsticle)

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:35 PM »

#Update 41

So yesterday I addressed some minor issues that occurred during a play test session. A part from that I finished level 9.

In level 9 I teach the player that it is possible to "jump" from the roofs when under water. I also try to mix and combine some of the obstacles that I have introduced in earlier levels.

Jumping from "roof".

Rotating platform puzzle.

Wind combined with falling ice.

Swing combined with falling ice.

Level 9 layout.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2017, 11:54:30 PM »

#Update 42

So last thursday I got some doubts about if I was on the right track. It felt like the ice world was getting a bit cluttered with too many different mechanics that did not have a good cohesion with eachother. Some of the mechanics are also lacking the ability to be used in different scenarios.

The falling ice, for example, is only useful for falling. It could not really be utilized for something else. So what I started thinking about was this ice orb that freezes you and could be used in more scenarios like:

- Falling like icecles.
- Rolling down slopes.
- Floating/sinking in water.
- Being shot from a potential enemy that could be moving, spinning, aiming for the player etc.

I am not saying that the icecles could not fit into some of these scenarios. But with the ice orb the ideas just came naturally. This orb could potentially also be used in other worlds. A first world version could be stone orbs that just pushes you back. This woulf be a bit easier on the player.

I have learned that a mechanic needs to be able to be juiced to create different scenarios. Which is basically why I started thinking about this "issue".

Frozen by ice orb.

Avoiding ice orbs on an ice slope.

The other thing I have been thinking about is that I dont really use what I have tought the player in the first world, only partially. I like how enemies like the spitter in "Ori and the blind forest" progress by getting stronger by learning more attack moves. They reuse an old enemy that you know, and then change it little bit making the challange greater.

I am thinking about doing this with my introduced mechanics in world 1. But I will have to prototype it first to make sure it is actually fun and not just repetative. I will probably end up with a mix of these evolved mechanics and some new ones. I have already tried this with the swing (making it slippery out of ice), and it has worked out well.

Going to Stugan
Also, today I will go to Stugan. I am still nervous but super excited to meet all the other developers  Grin

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2017, 11:19:56 PM »

#Update 43 - Arriving in Stugan

So yesterday I went to Stugan  Grin The people here are really nice and seem very good at what they do. I hope I can learn a lot during these 7 weeks and that my game will have gotten much further afterwards.

Because of this I don't have anything to show today, but hopefully there will be something to show tomorrow  Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »

#Update 43

There was a lot happening yesterday. A lot of testing games and a minor press conference. I still feel like a got a lot of things done though, which feels very good.

So first, the image that I used while talking at the conference:

Logo + world 1 map.

A part from that I started looking into what I talked about in #Update 42, evolving the pushers and stompers from world 1 into ice versions. They will basically also freeze the character for a short while after you have been hit.

Frozen stomper.

Frozen pusher.

I also created a first version of the "Spitter". It will be able to shoot orbĀ“s in different directions. It might even be able to aim for the player in future worlds.

Spitter - Ice version.

Potential usage of spitter.

I also ended up updating the visuals for the wind. Too many people said that they did not see where it started and ended. Also that it was a bit unclear. So I made it a bit thicker, which I hope helpes.

New wind.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 12:04:33 AM »

#Update 44 - Level design

I feel like I am done with building the tech for the ice world, and started looking into re-creating the ice world levels once again.

Something I want to do is create longer levels that are about 2-3 minutes long. It is hard to know what makes a good platformer level and how to get started with one. I have looked at games like Super Mario and Super Meat Boy to get some different thinking into it. They seem to have somewhat the same approach, which is introducing a new mechanic or scenario for each level and then gradually make it harder and harder for the player.

I have also seen games where you break them off in different parts with totally different mechanics. Mark Brown has a good video of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze where they tend to do this. You can watch it here, I really recommend it:

Then there are the other parts which are:
- How to get started with a level.
- How to make it a challenge.
- Keeping the levels interesting (introduce new mechanics, use them in new ways etc).
- The layout of the level. Should it be possible to backtrack? Should the player explore the level or should it be linear?
- Should it contain puzzles that break up the pacing of the level?

The are for sure more things to think about, but I tend to get stuck. I think a good approach is looking at which building blocks you have (mechanics, enemies etc) and figure out in which order you want to introduce them and how to up the difficulty in a fun and challenging way.

If someone has any recommendations for articles or such regarding this subject, I would really appreciate it Smiley

However, I did some implementations yesterday and one of them was the possibility to rotate the spitter to make it shoot in another direction.

Spitting in facing direction.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic