Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:16:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInvoker
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Invoker  (Read 1446 times)
IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:20 AM »

Invoker is set in an universe being conquered by the antagonists, the Badvokers (name may change), Invokers that turned bad.

You play as one of the last Invoker alive.
Travel through unknown worlds to face the Badvokers and save the universe!
Capture powerful creatures and gather the best in your team.
Modify their abilities and characteristics and invoke them in battle!
Manage your asteroid spaceship so that it still hosts more monsters and travels through more galaxies!

OK, but...

Battles
The main reference for Battles is The Banner Saga's combat system : Strength against Armor.
If the defender's Armor is higher than the attacker's Strength, you may not do a single damage... So it sometimes better to attack the Armor first.
Otherwise, if the attacker's Strength is the highest, you will do attacker's Strength minus defender's Armor as damages.
It is a very simple and effective gameplay which shows that fatigue and injury reduce combat capabilities, good job Stoic Studio  Beer!.
I'll add more Magic that bypass Armor and costs Mana, but cannot penetrates Mana Shield

Invokers and Badvokers are weakers than monsters and are VIP to defend, if your invoker dies, you loose, if you kill the Badvoker(s) you win. In most of the battles, you won't face Badvokers.

Capturing monsters
I will go on a simple system: the invoker can, via a specific ability, capture the last living enemy.
It is therefore necessary to keep the creature that interests us for the end in order to capture it.

Pimp my team
I really liked the skill system of Path of Exile, good job Grinding Gear Games  Beer!.
The way you can custom your capacities is really cool and I want something like that in my game.
So I am going on something like:
Monsters can have 4 capacities. Two you cannot change: one from the race, one from the class, and two other you can choose.
Each capacities (Strength attack, Armor attack, Strength Heal, Taunt, Stun, etc) is associated with
- a trigger:
   > On Decide : (actual trigger in the demo) you decide, in the monster's turn, via a button to launch the skill
   > On Enemy Dead : the skill triggers everytime an enemy dies, so not necessarily during your turn.
   > On Block : the skill triggers everytime the caracter blocks an attacks, so not during your turn.
   > etc
- a range
   > melee : 1 square range --> 100% efficiency
   > ranged : 2-6 square range --> 50%  efficiency
   > mortar : 6-8 square range --> 75%  efficiency
   > aura : 1-4 square range --> 25%  efficiency
- and some supports to improve the main effect or add some others
--> create the skills you want

Skills/Capacity will be Organs and Triggers/Range/supports will be glands you will manipulate in the Lab of your Spaceship.

Of course each monster will gain levels an passive points to spend in a passive tree.
I would like that tree to be like Path of Exile's one but way more simplified with way less "unique passive" with "hard to code if not well anticipated unique effect". The tree seems too much work to me for now so it may end in something more conventional.

I thought of a system to create and modify the AI of our monsters with two options:
 - Manage AI in the lab then watch in battle, take the hand on the fight if needed.
 - Only play the Invokers, you don't have the hand on your monsters, you arlready programmed them.
This feature may not be in the game at the end, depending on the feedbacks: you'd like it or not?

And finally some random "items" (as bio modifications) to equip your caracters with that will lightly improve passives.

Invokations
Each monster will be associated with an invocation type, your Invoker will be able to use:
 - Permanent: spawn with you on the battlefield, reserves some mana.
 - Fast : the spawned monster will play right after the Invoker.
 - Damaging : the invocation will damage nearby enemies and allies
 - Protection : the invocation will have a Protection bonus for his first turn.
 - etc

Pimp my asteroid spaceship
With the help of your AI assistant, manage your spaceship built from an asteroid.
Dig rooms to accumulate more monsters, train them, make them work, rest. You will need food and water producing rooms to feed them, electricity rooms to power thoses.
Kind of a Fallout Shelter Toast Left with a Faster Than Light Toast Right view,.

Missions
I still don't know what to do yet, but I liked the X-COM2 Hand Clap system with the doomsday clock (project avatar) and urgent pop-up missions with choice, loss and reward.

You now have a good overview of the project!

It may seems a little too much for a single person but I am trying to be clever (that's hard to me) and make things simple and effective. For the monsters animations I am using procedural animations to lower the work and in order to make the more monsters possible.

There are no visual effect yet, except for the attacks, but here is what it looks:

Dodge:

Block:

Hurt:

Walk and attack:

Big Grey attack:

Invoke, attack, die:

I hope to finish it in 2 years!
Sorry for the long post that finally looks more like a GDD than a Dev log!

Do not hesitate to give feedbacks!

Web Site : http://www.incrediblecorporation.org/invoker
News : http://www.incrediblecorporation.org/
Follow on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleCorporation/
Video : youtube-->iFgQyEWQu3I (video is too big to load properly in here  Roll Eyes )
Fight Demo (may contain bugs and crashes, difficulty is not set, only melee attacks for now, etc) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4z7thslwsv61ax/Invoker.exe?dl=0

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:01:03 AM by IncrediCorp » Logged

IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:27 AM »

Here's what looks like the asteroid spaceship surfing on its own generated gravitational wave:

And what should look like the ship management view:

More infos and HD pictures here :
http://www.incrediblecorporation.org/single-post/2017/03/24/Pimp-my-Asteroid-Spaceship

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »

Looks like a solid start!

Small feedback on your grass background is that is might be a tad too saturated/intense in comparison to your units above it. Most noticeably with the green monster who doesn't stick out as well in comparison to his grey counterparts.

IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:01 AM »

Thanks mate!
Good point for the grass, I'll change that.

IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »

Hello mates!

Big update with, in particular, the arrival of the spaceship management: contructions/sales of rooms, monsters assignment to work in a room, etc.

You can also:
- manage the team you are going to send to the fight
- decide which monsters will be at your side at the begining of the fight and which others you will be able to invoke during combat (even if I'll change the UI of that)
- Hand Metal Left capture monsters Hand Metal Right (the last one alive for the moment, the chances of success directly depend on its remaining life points) and use them in your ship or in your figthing team
- continue your game later, the autosave is working

It makes me think ... if you try the demo linked at the bottom of this post, No No NO do not try to capture the Badvoker  No No NO, it should definitely bug in the spaceship!

Here are some visuals:

Construction

Path find

Some UI

Team management

Capture

-Full video

-Demo here

IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:18 AM »