Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:56:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesign controls for a video game - What's that called?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Design controls for a video game - What's that called?  (Read 915 times)
RedRanger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:10:44 PM »

Hey guys,

What's the role of a person in a game dev team whose job it is to design the in-game controls in a video game?

I have a 2 year game design program at my school. I'd love to be a game dev but I don't think I can get that far in terms of my math skills. (like Pre-Calc and Trig is def a no go for me.)

I think right now, I'd like to go into game audio.

Is it possible to get a job in designing the controls in a video game without a game degree?
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »

It's called UI (User Interface) designer or programmer. And yes, that is a valid specialty, typically for large studios who can throw one or even more persons on that specialty. You do require math, especially trig and calc, and you'd probably have to slog through being a generalist for a while as well. Controls aren't of course just the buttons that you hit to control the character, but also the feedback to the player - screen design elements - and especially in 3D games, camera control.

It's also one of the most fun parts of game-working, so there's a good bit of competition for it.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
_glitch
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »

It's called UI (User Interface) designer or programmer. And yes, that is a valid specialty, typically for large studios who can throw one or even more persons on that specialty. You do require math, especially trig and calc, and you'd probably have to slog through being a generalist for a while as well. Controls aren't of course just the buttons that you hit to control the character, but also the feedback to the player - screen design elements - and especially in 3D games, camera control.

It's also one of the most fun parts of game-working, so there's a good bit of competition for it.

+1 for this answer
RedRanger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »

Yeah it definitely sounds like it. If I were a game designer, it'd be the number one thing I'd be interested in.

I'm actually giving it a second shot, and I think I will pursue game design, even tho I'm getting a B or worse in Intermediate Algebra right now.

What do you mean by "screen design elements"?
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »

What do you mean by "screen design elements"?

I guess the easiest way to explain is like a HUD, or target and ammo and health count and that sort of thing. It's not part of a game field exactly, but it's screen elements to convey feedback to the player - the takeaway here is that the interface works both ways.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic