Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:50:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosNarrative Designer / Consultant; Craft a Great Story
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Narrative Designer / Consultant; Craft a Great Story  (Read 337 times)
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »

Hi there!

My name is Travis Martin. I'm a story designer.

Even as a little kid, I was into stories. I wrote "The Great Bunny Task" at 8 to feel powerful while being beat up every day in the school yard. Video games were the other thing that helped me cope.

My mission is to make stories that give courage to help people get through tough times.

For the past 8 years, I've been professionally telling stories as an actor and a playwright. You can see one of my plays in full online (I also perform!)

Now I'm focusing on my work with video game developers. I work with designers to integrate story into every element of your game. What does the avatar's action mean? What does the villain want, and why? How has the setting affected the people in it? How do the people affect the avatar? Immersion happens when everything in the world is cohesive. And immersion sells more than anything else.

Get in touch. Let's bring out the full power of your story.

Portfolio: http://travishmartin.wixsite.com/portfolio
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/travis-martin-8908b050/

Send me a PM or use the Contact form on my website.

I use many ways of exploring story. Here are some I have used on my plays.

Conceptual physical models:

Here, I build a Physics-based model of what a story structure looks like.

Game state exploration:

At this point, I was seriously restructuring my play. I had characters I liked and a good setting. What I needed to find was the outcome. So I played chess.

The bad guy had nothing but a bunch of pawns. The good guys had only a few key players and no pawns.

Some characters ended up getting sacrificed, including the main character. Then a pawn made it to the end. It led me to an interesting plot idea involving resurrection.

"Unblocking" - finding new ways to use your characters / themes:

Here, I put all of my play's characters, themes, and plot points into a hat, and paired them randomly. The result was that I changed who the villain was. It made my play a lot more interesting and layered.

Mathematical representation of story structure:

Here, each arc represents one "story". The best stories are made up of smaller stories. Every moment is its own story, but contributes to the larger stories of the scene, the act, and the whole play (or game!).

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:41:22 AM by mysteriosum » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic