Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:51:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLiferaft
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Liferaft  (Read 33967 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »

We're working on levels now, mike has implemented a kickass scripting system alongside pulling the inertia from animation right on the timeline. It kicks ass and we can make bosses, moving stuff and other crazy shit really fast in Flash. He'll probably post in more detail on the blog or maybe here I dunno... Or maybe he won't, he's kind of a shut-in.

Anyway, now there's a few levels in there, some of them are repeats but you get the idea. I recommend level 7 for a crazy bee-box that flies around and you ride it.

------

Alright, bit of a challenge here.

Check out the new build and play level 1 and try to do the Slalom Challenge. I've demonstrated here in the video below.

It took about three times the amount of tries than that, any more and you would have gotten bored even with the speed-up effect. Smiley I've only done it once and this will probably never make it into the game but I like hardcore stuff like this and it helped really get a handle on the limitations of the character.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:08:12 PM by aeiowu » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 01:10:32 AM »

It's very frustrating to lose all your inertia whenever you swing above the x-axis of the grapple point.

It does look a lot better visually when zoomed in, although it's hard to tell where the grapple points are without knowing the level beforehand. Even in your video, you had to grapple to points without seeing them first.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

It's very frustrating to lose all your inertia whenever you swing above the x-axis of the grapple point.

It does look a lot better visually when zoomed in, although it's hard to tell where the grapple points are without knowing the level beforehand. Even in your video, you had to grapple to points without seeing them first.

yea I hear ya, I was thinking about extending the size of those "lanterns" by making some animated lighting sprites that would be much larger so even if the lantern wasn't in view you'd see the light coming off of it. Also... the distance between these objects here is basically the maximum possible which is why it's so difficult. I'd never want to _actually_ put that in the game unless it was for an easter-egg secret or something.

Nonetheless it is a problem, and i'm a bit worried about it still...

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »

Bit of a drastic change here, though there is still some rif-raff in levels 2-7. I scrapped 99% of the art and focused on the only thing I was really happy with, the dark background. It's still in there but the tileset is completely new and much more tiley as opposed to special set pieces. This will give us a lot more flexibility for levels and modularly creating whatever we want. I'm not happy with the lights/lighting ATM but I do like how it provides a couple levels of feedback about grapple radius and player guidance...

As usual, check out the latest build in the first post to play.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

Phew, today felt good. I think I'm finally honing in on a tileset I'm happy with. I was trying to be too painterly with my pixels but now things are much more ordered and legible. Beyond the new tileset Mike has thrown in a "badDude" grappling things. I made them little eggs for now, but the idea will be that you throw these at enemies/boss-weak-points. The controls are a bit different for when we had them in there earlier to hopefully aid a few things.

Now, to grapple an "egg" tap D and you will have it attached to you indefinitely until you tap "D" again to release with your inertia. If you continue to hold "D" at any point after you've grappled (or just hold D from the beginning) you will charge up and bring in the egg closer to you. Once released after holding you will jettison off the egg in the direction you are facing regardless of intertia. Let us know what you think. here's the live build in case you don't want to scroll back to the 1st post: http://intuitiongames.com/games/liferaft/

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

New news here. Come get 'er.

Finally have bosses in there with some art (level 1) When you hit his weak spot a lo-fi 'spolsion sounds the bell. Also, balloons now compound your lift as opposed to having a limiter as before. We're still working out how we're actually going to construct the bosses themselves. We've got some kind of particle thing going right now that could work for rotation among other things. We want to be able to make these bosses as big as we want fairly easily so developing a system for that that looks good at the same time is our next hurdle. Here's the Ugly below, his jaws are so powerful they don't need connective tissue.  Tired

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »

Got some new ways of doing bosses. Ultimately it looks uglier at this point (check the upper parts of level 1) but they are a lot easier to create/animate since they are basically just bound particles. Also, I worked a bit on her starting area. The idea here is that she's been trapped down there basically as long as she can remember so she uses her hair as a bed, a modest living but she gets by... Wanted to tell the story through environment as much as possible. That little box next to the bigger box with the orange stuff is where she eats...  Epileptic She eats the squid materials!!!!!! ughhhhhh  Roll Eyes

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »

Been working on the logo/title screen stuff. Here's a couple failures that i quit mid-way through:

Thinking about going with something a lot simpler/straightforward.

the second one will work if you have it as a playable screen and the lights on the letters turn on as you pass them to actually draw it from the background
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

Shaping up really nicely, this one.  There's an Akira feel to it somehow...

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »

the second one will work if you have it as a playable screen and the lights on the letters turn on as you pass them to actually draw it from the background

Oooo, yeah that would be awesome Hand Thumbs Up Left

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »

...so she uses her hair as a bed..

Duddde, that's pretty grodddy   :Skype's Vomit Emoticon Should Go Here But Instead I'll Use This One:   Beer!Hand Shake Right

godsavant
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »

Oh, you're a real SWINGER!

I stumbled onto this game by mistake; great, but man, weird. I spent ten minutes trying to figre out what to do...I thought I was supposed to shoot the rocks at those target things, before I realized you could swing on them. Also, spent a few more minutes trying to kill that puffy pink tentacle.

"Hold S in the air to grapple" is total bull.

Strangely, flying around using W is one of the most gratifying freeform experiences I've had in a while - more so than swinging, even. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »

build before last ran fine but the newest runs so choppily it's rendered unplayable for me. like srsly it was probably around 1fps. I'd jump and land before the next rendering so it looked like I was standing still.

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »

Flying (aka cheating) is a blast, too.  A very limited version of it combined with the grappling could make for some pretty strategic gameplay.
Strangely, flying around using W is one of the most gratifying freeform experiences I've had in a while - more so than swinging, even. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Isn't it great?  Maybe it could be a mid-to-late game reward once you've been a lot of places and accomplished a lot...

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:23 AM »

So, I've been on vacation for the last week, it was awesome for me the human, but not so much me the game developer.  Concerned

Anyway... here's the WIP title screen I've been working on just before I headed off. We're actually going to take another week-long break to work on a little flash game idea we've had as kind of a recharger. Both creatively and financially... We'll be back though next week.

Also, Mike had been working on some set-piece encounters. They are _very_ rough and they don't have any collision/feedback for hitting them (nor health) but hey, it's something. I'll try and see if I can get him to upload the latest of that. But for now, check out these stalactites: http://intuitiongames.com/games/liferaft2x/

As far as the level1 update, I've been working on optimizing the boss animation system (from the art side) by having custom larger background pieces behind the idling particles. Before I think I had hundreds of them moving around in a single boss, now there's a total of 25, plus I think it looks better, even if it's not completely done with particles in Flash...

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »

FIREFLIES!

We plan to use them as a kind of gun/health system. Similar to sonic in the health system, and the gun will be chargeable ala megaman. Next stop, mobs! looks like we're back on track.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 06:11:07 AM »

Wow aeiowu!  The last demo was great.  Im glad you zoomed in on the character last time i played you were so small that I couldn't really enjoy it.  I really like the new size and the little demo was awesome, theres a lot of great possibilities with this im really excited for this game!

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »

Wow aeiowu!  The last demo was great.  Im glad you zoomed in on the character last time i played you were so small that I couldn't really enjoy it.  I really like the new size and the little demo was awesome, theres a lot of great possibilities with this im really excited for this game!
awesome! thanks for the kind words Caliper9. =D

i got an itch to redo the player sprite. I liked the sleekness of the original, but i always felt there wasn't enough personality to it. i.e. can't see her face. So i decided on going with a more classic front-view. I like it a lot better so far, and it looks much, much better in game. I'd love to hear crits or ideas about the sprite. The thing i was most concerned with was keeping her agile/limber looking and getting across womaness.

Other behind the scenes progress... We completed the 2nd draft of the whole story. We've always had an idea of the kind of world this took place in, but never really settled on a solid story that we felt would hold up. Now we've got one though that we're both pretty pumped about. I have a hard time sharing that though as it'll spoil the game for anyone that reads it. Besides, most of it is just for us and will never see the light of day (at least explicitly).

Secondly we've been hitting the level design really hard and we've finally come up with a collaborative process that works really well for both of us. It was actually more of a struggle to figure out _how_ to work together on level design than anything else really... More on that later if you're interested (or maybe i'll post some sketches anyway)...

Also, we've got someone awesome doing some music for us. We're really excited. I'm tempted to unleash it along with a test track he pumped out but I think i'll hold off until we get a little further.

EDIT: might as well dump this here too. it's not finished but it's what the sky bg will look like at the end of Act One. Act Two will be during the night time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:55:51 PM by aeiowu » Logged

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »

After building out about 75% of the first act i realized there's not enough of a sense of direction for the player, mostly because there's no ground fill telling the player where they'll never be able to go.

So I made that thing above, made some plants too that grow from the light of the luminescent orbs and stuff. I think that'll be a good way to direct the player towards grapple points if the light aura is not in view. Also, it'll be fun to animate them.

Player sprite has gone through about 9 revisions since the last post. I animated her in all her poses and it's coming along. I think it's closer but still doesn't feel perfect.

Mike has been doing a lot of performance optimizations doing a collision list so we can have a bunch of stuff in a level. We hope to have a semi-vertical slice (probably no boss fights) of the first Act completed by friday. I might put a rough build of the first act tomorrow if things go well with finishing up the new additions to the tile set.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »

The stance was much better in the original, imo.  I think she looks a bit stiff now, standing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic