Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:02:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVirtual Wave (Beta) - Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Virtual Wave (Beta) - Feedback  (Read 428 times)
FoxyPanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

Howdy!

I just figured I would drop a line on Tig to see what constructive criticism I could receive for my game Virtual Wave. I've already posted my game on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885708965

Virtual Wave is a challenging, fast paced 8-Bit FPS Roguelike all about killing waves of enemies in an 80's virtual reality simulation. I started the engine when I was in High School (some 7 years ago) and just recently began digging into my old code to create what you see before you.

Virtual Wave is all about the classic Arcade style gameplay, "you die in the game you start from the beginning." Eventually you will come face to face with the A.I. that is causing all this and you will have to defeat it.

Luckily there are weapons you can purchase and upgrades to aid you in this madman run. There is also a banking system established so when you deposit money into the ATM it will save your account balance for a later play. 

Trailer:

* Difficulty
* How does it feel?
* Decent FPS?
* How do you like the wave progression?
* How does the economy feel? Reasonable amount of coins/prices in the shop?
* Favorite / Least favorite upgrades, weapons, items?
* What is confusing?

Any ideas are welcome!

Download Virtual Wave (Beta):
Itch.io:  https://foxypanda.itch.io/virtual-wave
IndieDB:  http://www.indiedb.com/games/virtual-wave
GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/virtualwave/244114
NealWh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »

Hi, sorry only had time for a quick go so not sure how much use this is.

* Difficulty
Felt quite difficult.  Mostly because of not knowing where enemies would spawn.  The hitbox seemed reasonably generous.  Also the gun seemed quite slow to reload, but perhaps with time would become more second nature to find gaps to do so.  I found the level (not sure if it changes further in?) a bit hard to navigate, the small alcoves with nothing in felt a bit awkward to get out of.
* How does it feel?
Feels alright I think, it's not made me super eager to play more but hasn't put me off...  I think the bank/shop is an interesting idea but found that it was hard to interact with in the pressure of having enemies behind somewhere.  Did find a somewhat cheap exploit with the skellies, that you can shoot them twice to knock them down, get a coin and wait till they pop up and repeat (did die doing this cos they fired me in the back tho Wink ). 
* Decent FPS?
Yep, have a reasonable but old pc tho, 2011 i7 cpu, gtx970
* How do you like the wave progression?
First time it was 3 waves of slime, second time the 2nd wave had a skellie not sure if it changes or I just missed it first time?  Felt like the waves were ending quite fast and there wasn't a chance to clean up dropped coins.
* How does the economy feel? Reasonable amount of coins/prices in the shop?
Didn't really get far enough to try this.  Did wonder what the chances are that I had to pay a lot of coins to get an upgrade and then it'd be gone next go...
* Favorite / Least favorite upgrades, weapons, items?
Sorry didn't get that far as yet...
* What is confusing?
The keys for the shop/bank were a bit...  and enemy spawn positions as above.

Definitely think I'll go back and play a bit more later...
Cheers!

Currently working on Kynseed | Playtesting
FoxyPanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »

That is an awesome review thank you so much! If you have anything you want me to check out be sure to message me or reply to this post Smiley

Now for my response, the difficulty is something that I am currently working on. I've added to the game this week red triangles that fade red to white above the enemies when there are 3 or less left in the wave. Also I've added a Reload Crosshair Icon to replace the normal crosshair when you are about to run out of bullets.

The pressure of interacting with enemies and the Shop/ATM is something that I've noticed everybody says so I will create an interactive pause screen when you activate the Shop/ATM so the entire game waits for the player to be done with their transactions. I've also decided to bring the pricing of some of the items down a bit so it is easier to just pick up and play.

As for the enemy spawn positions I will add a slightly elevated floor tile to the spawn spots so it becomes easier to predict where the enemies will begin to spawn.

Once again thank you so much for this awesome review its really helping me move forward with my game and how public views it Coffee
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic