Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:32:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMaking that SNES/GBA music sound. Solved, for both DAW and MIDI workflows.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making that SNES/GBA music sound. Solved, for both DAW and MIDI workflows.  (Read 2716 times)
Canned Turkey
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »

Has anyone worked with GBA style music, in between chiptunes and regular audio files?
I can't for the life of me find any documentation for it besides people turning physical GBAs into synthesizers, what I am looking for is a solution to make GBA music on just a computer in some form of software.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:18:53 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »

get super audio cart for your friendly neighborhood daw

uh, done.

that's about it as far as i'd suggest

edit: the gba had a terrible sound chip (as a fact, not opinion, i mean that thing has loads of great soundtracks that sound like they're getting filtered thru a tin can) and a lot of that involved bitcrushing samples to makem fit. a solid bitcrusher for each track on a sample-based midi data song might help you fake the effect on the cheap?

super audio cart will let you do the effect right and also better than the gba ever actually did for real tho

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »

Cool cool, thank you for replying. Your method does work perfectly for someone who usually works with high-quality music production looking to "downgrade" their bitrate, but my old workflow for 8-bit tracks was based on a few MIDI sequencers, so I was really hoping on a solution that could just import a MIDI that I write and make it sound like 4th Console Generation music.

Synth Font was what I found. It allows the importing of any tracked midi file and lets you assign a .sf2 Soundfont to the MIDI, and output a .wav file, which I just use audacity to balance and export to .ogg

Works perfectly! I just need to find a perfect snes/gba soundfont, each music designer working on a game had experimented with different balances and instrumentation, so a soundfont for mother 3 would include the nicer synth sounds, but not the finely tuned drum and guitar instruments from say, f-zero.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »

Example of what I've made:

https://soundcloud.com/cannedturkey/main-theme
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:25:17 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic