Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:04:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[ DevLog ] I AM Fighting Bob
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [ DevLog ] I AM Fighting Bob  (Read 6647 times)
alaNintendo
« on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »

-= INTRO =-
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:59:04 PM by IndieDoroid » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »

seems aight to me, the white man over here

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »

LOVIN this

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:01 AM »

Yeah he's cool ! =) Maybe his hair move a bit too much, it distract me a bit but he sure got style ! =D

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:56 AM »

Holy animation skills!

Well done! Quite fluid.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »

v curious what the game is my dude

Moriny
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

The one on the left looks more exaggerated and the other one looks more realistic according to leg movement.I personally like the realistic one.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

i'd push the pose more tho; the running itself looks great on the right example but try having him lean forward more i think

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »

if it's feeling too traditional try really pushing it then

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »

The character looks interesting! About the run cycle, I think the main issue for both is that his feet always stay in place. He i s running on the spot, but really fast  Huh?
Of the two animations, I find the right one a lot better. The first one does not even look like running to me. If you can, try make him actually place his foot further forward. There should be more and longer contact with the ground too. If you are not going for believable/realistic, I think it's fun to look at the weird running can also be a trait of the game.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »

lookin' SOLID

jtarnoldart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »

Looks pretty cool so far. It has a little bit of a Viewtiful Joe vibe, and the backgrounds are top notch. How close are you to getting some bad dudes/dudettes to punch in the game?
wazeau
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »

Haha, cool animation and style man, even the older derpy animations Tongue
The lighting seems to work well.
Keep it up!

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

Reminds me of Viewtiful Joe and I love that!

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »

This looks really cool! The lighting and art style remind me of old Xbox generation games, in a good way. I like the dynamism in the poses too.

Since there are so many colours on screen at any time, I'm wondering if there will be readability issues during more intense action scenes. Hit sparks and animation smears might help.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

So, will the enemies be objects only or will there be living characters as well?

wassup ladies and lurkers!  Beer!

I'm working on a new marketing art poster~ What do  you guys think?

If your aim (pun intended) is to bring the attention to the foot, then you've succeeded with the dark outlines. Grin  Adding color with probably balance it but my guess is that some other areas might also need dark outlines.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

For now enemies will be robotic machinery. But if you look closely you'll see that there's actually a monster operating inside the machine. Kind of like Headmasters taking over the Transformers bodies, if you catch that reference.

How do you feel about the enemies being machine based rather than living characters?

When I read the summary,
The player takes on the role of a Kung Fu master that for "reasons" is now a janitor. But enemies beware, even though he's only armed with a sweeper broom this guy is still serious "like-a-Norris" business
I wondered about a few things:
-Is he one of those "something by day, superhero by night"?
-Did he become a janitor because "reasons" are real or his fights imaginary?  Or perhaps from a player's perspective, it's more believable that he's "crazy", but in the end it is confirmed that he's a secret hero fighting off a threat that most people are not aware of.

With that in mind, I like your idea.  Also, now that you mentioned it, I just realized that the images gave me an FLCL vibe (if you haven't seen it, the six episodes are up on youtube), so fighting robotic machinery is fine with me.  Grin   

I was also wondering in terms of your vision and who your target audience is, since this theme might be somewhat of a niche perhaps.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »

Dang ! Have you been looking at my design notes somehow? or was my description too easy to guess. I really want to explain why the character is who is he, but I don't want to spoil the story. I can just say , you and I are on similar wavelengths . We should "knock heads together" on the story or something !  Coffee
Maybe it's option #3: I'm smart! Grin  Over the years I've seen similar ideas and also like solving puzzles. Smiley   But so far my *guesses* were mainly based on the lack of human (or other living) characters.  Sure, I'm interested in sharing ideas. Smiley

Of course one of the main inspirations, is a love of all whacky things that are anime. The one game that really pushed me towards this kind of character design was Bravely Default. Those Chibi characters were awesome, I'm not sure if you can see that influence in the characters proportions \ face etc
It's interesting that you mentioned chibi because your character seems different from what I consider Chibi.  I'm more used to these:

or in [3D JRPG] Light Fairytale
and slightly this:

Your character does seem a bit different from a person with normal proportion but perhaps the beard also plays a role to hiding (pun intended) the Chibi style even the one used in Bravely Default.  However, overall the character has a cartoony feel that fits the style.

Regarding target audience, hopefully players that's liked "high quality production" action platformers ala Guacamelee, Mark of the Ninja, Hollow Knight, Ori & the blind forest and appreciate fighting mechanics found in Street Fighter, BlazBlue etc.

Hopefully the theme itself of a human fighting bots won't turn people off. I was thinking of adding some organic monsters without the Robot machinery.

I'm wondering about the opinions of the others that read this thread. Do you guys think Alien mounted Robots aren't fun to beat up?
In a way, robots kind of reminds of the "side action" in Street Fighter games where you beat up different machines (car, fridge IIRC) and I wonder how appealing that would be in general.  Also, using robots may limit variety in terms of visuals (i.e. every enemy is "just" a robot) and also in terms of enemy attack variety.  This is just based on my first impression of what I've seen so far though. 

My first impression of the poster is that it looks like as 5-7 people talking to you at the same time. 8o
There seems to be a lot going on, but not in a good way that is helpful. 
-That can and magazine on the left seem to have equal importance to the main character.
-The title is somewhat confusing.  I remember having long titles but found that most prefer short ones.  To me Kung Fu Janitor is a lot more unique and memorable than Mighty/Iron Corbo.
-Also, "Be the broom" is a good tagline ... but then does he have a chopstick in his hand?  After some "careful inspection" I noticed that he's carrying the broom on his back.
-Seems like that are robots at the bottom, but that I wouldnt' even be aware if I hadn't seen the devlog.
So, to keep things simple, perhaps a portrait arrangement would look better with the title on top and only showing the character in the pose with some faded garbage things around him.
Another idea might be to show the robot enemies more prominently - i.e. he's fighting them.  A few could be surrounding him and he just knocked one of them out.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 02:05:16 AM »

This poster is AWESOME! Quite eye-catching. My only thought is that there's a lot of white — against some of the fonts it may be hard to read for some. But that's just me getting nit-picky. Overall, great presentation!

Hi ladies and lurkers!

A small update on the marketing poster. What do you guys think?

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »

Looks fantastic, I think that UI choice matches the rest of it really well and looks pretty consistent
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic