Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:07:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Ask me for Art tips because I read and learned from all of your coding tips!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ask me for Art tips because I read and learned from all of your coding tips!  (Read 941 times)
Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm working my 3571 Project (webcomic, films, music score and RPG/Survival) since 2010. Since I want to do everything by myself, the videogame is my biggest challenge : while I had to struggle everyday since the beginning with learning C# and coding, shaders, compatibility issues... I had no problem for the artistic part : UX, UI, character design, graphical coherence, lisibility, simplicity, typography... All these domains are part of my "real" full-time job, in a branding and design agency.
I think I can do 2 things here on TIG :

1- Give everyone a look at how I worked on Art on my 3571 The Game devlog, how I think about the whole graphical identity of the project, and what decisions I had to make ; It can be useful for anyone with coding skills but without art school background

2- Answer and tip every person here when wondering how to design UI, or logotype, or whatever art you need to create.

I hope I can provide as much help as I can for the independant game makers community, because I received so much help from tutorials, forums and blogs when I needed to learn how to program a Final State Machine for my NPCs, a RPG item and inventory system, and so much more amazing stuff I can handle now.

So ask me for help! And checkout my whole project here : 3571project.wordpress.com

You can also see my design/advertising/illustration works here : www.julienfrappa.com
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:23:33 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

smartyMARTY
Level 0

I write, code, sometimes nicely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 05:31:14 AM »

I am going to mooch off of your #2 here. Where do I start to make readable fonts for players? Most of the time I am criticized for the fonts I use. How do I go about making readable fonts (one other thing is white text with a small black border)? Good programs, practices, etc.?

Hopefully fonts count as art and I am sure it counts as UI.

Thanks!

Also, will definitely check out your project, the banner alone is stylish.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »

Fonts totally count as art, and can actually take quite a while to design. Realistically, you shouldn't be producing custom fonts early in your game's development, though. Fonts design is an aesthetic detail that can be added and adjusted much later in the development process. If you are in an earlier stage of development, you should probably go to Google fonts, find one that is in the general ballpark of what you're looking for, and use that in your prototyping. Google fonts have licensing that doesn't prevent you from using them in such a project, so you won't have to worry about any legal repercussions. (a common problem when using fonts other people have produced)

Of course, later on in your development you may want to give your game that extra layer of custom polish that only a custom font can provide. Who wouldn't want that? For pure legibility, simplicity is best. Also, keep in mind that if you are going with a vector font, special styling can be applied to those at run-time. If you are going for a pixel font, that is a different proposition. Serifs usually look nicer, but are sometimes less legible. Sans-serif will make your font simpler and easier to read, but also less distinctive. One of the most important aspects to consider is how your font reflects on the style of your game. Having a font that adds to the atmosphere and style of your title is what you should be shooting for.
smartyMARTY
Level 0

I write, code, sometimes nicely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »

That was pretty detailed on what I should be looking for! thanks!

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »

I couldn't connect to TIG for days, but man... Richard Kain you're superfast and super-competent, thanks very much ! I have quite nothing to say about his excellent advices.

This thread is working without me this is impressive

I will try to give an answer with my words anyway, because tips can do no harm.

I started to learn typograpy in a very  traiditional and print-oriented art school in Paris, l'École Éstienne, then I studied modern and digital typography in Sint-Lucas school in belgium.

My first lesson was something like : A good font choice in a visual creation is first of all a font that you can read easily. Because fonts are letters. They MEAN something, they have a the most accurate concept transmission function in visual arts.

My second lesson is something a realised years after, a kind of global design lesson and I would quote the most famous tip  "Less is more". I think this really means : If your ideas / concept / gameplay / message / texts are good enough, you HAVE to choose the most minimalist font and design because you don't need them to force your message. This would be ketchup , tabasco and mayonnaise in a very good meal. The only thing you need to do is to create small details and very precise tuning of positioning graphical elements and texts, and very logical relative sizes. Proportions are everything. This leads me to my third lesson :

The third lesson I learned is a global art principle : You must find a equilibrium between order and chaos, like life itself. That's why numbers like golden ratio are so amazing. For type composition, this means you have to place very carefully everything, with very logical rules. But you also need something to impact the eye, which is for example an accident, or even a very visible hierarchy of information. For exemple a very big title, 3 sentences clearly smaller, but both aligned with your reasonably small logotype are better than a big logo and a big title and big word clouds around.

The fourth lesson I learned a little bit later is something I always think about in the very ending of a creation : it's always too big. Redable doesn't mean "eye agression". Too small and too big (for more than a word) are both mistakes, I think. So spaces are MORE important than content, like in music. If there's no negative space or no silence in music, there's no art at all.

I remember I realized one day that if every little detail is well designed and easy to read, if the idea of the project is good, and the message is strong, you don't need lots of colors, effects and "atmospherical" font choices to have a VERY GOOD design.

As a french my english is not that clear, but mayble this can complete Richard's answer !

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:54:20 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't slept for a long time, but I forgot to answer precisely to your question as I was fascinated by the first answer you had.

To choose or find readable fonts, you have to do like me after 15 years of practice : with your concept in mind choose as many fonts as possible that can fit to your story, and seem readable. Also check if you have numbers, upper and smaller cases.

Then you have to test all of them and compare them on two points : is it easy to read ? Does my concept fit ?

Then you have to sleep and forget all of this.

Then you have to look again the day after, with a fresh mind. Then you can select for example the 5 best options.

Then you have to play another game, look graphic design history, then look again your 5 best options.

Then you have to choose the one you like the most, now you're sure.

Then you sleep again and do something else.

Then you realize your font choice is very good but not perfect.

Then you look for more fonts and do more tests.

Then show to people. Try to read from far distance, on a small screen, on a photocopy.

Then start again.

Then your repeat all of this, if you're still not satisfied.

That's why richard was right when he said : First choose something simple and readable. When your game works, you will be able to spend time on this, but hours needed grows exponentially with your expectancies, whether you are a typography expert or not.

But you'll be rewarded for your work by your own brain with serotonine when you'll finally find your design awesome.

AutumnPioneer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »

Your art direction work looks fantastic and agree with the things you've said so far! Though I have to say i'm really not sure about your personal logo colours. They really hurt your eyes on white, I can imagine they'd look nice screenprinted though (but that's overdone so much recently). I know it's not really in your area, but i'd like any tips/feedback on my portfolio if you have the time! https://www.artstation.com/artist/autumnpioneer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic