Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:26:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to set rate as a consulting programmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to set rate as a consulting programmer  (Read 699 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

Hi -

Through some old colleagues I have the opportunity to consult on a game. Talked to the designer + their team, and the pitch sounds good to me, so I'm interested in doing it. However, I have to provide my going rate. I have no idea how to decide on that (I've never worked fulltime on games, in the past, and before that I worked in Software Engineering for salary so I'm pretty new to consulting). Can anyone give advice on setting an initial rate? If I have part of my pay in Rev share, how much should I ask for / how do I trade that off with my flat pay? Pretty lost here, so I appreciate any advice Smiley.

Fun Infused Games
Level 1

Games so good you could hang your hat on them.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »

I know this sounds generic, but ask for a rate that makes it worth your time to do the work. One of the mistakes I've made in the past was going too low and then I feel like doing that work is wasting my time and end up hating it.

Will you feel good doing the work if you're paid $10 an hour? How about $20? $30? That's the frame of mind I use when deciding if I want to do a contract or not. If its something interesting or work for a friend, I may take less in pay but make it up in interesting work or feeling good helping out someone I know.

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:36:20 AM »

The rule of thumb is that a consulting rate should be 2x to 3x what your salaried rate was, depending on experience and/or scarcity of your particular skill set.

If your salary is for a non gamedev position, keep in mind that the average game programmer makes around 80% of what a non-game programmer does. I'd go with Salary x 2 x .8 for a first gig.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic