Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:47:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat would you change before Kickstarter?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What would you change before Kickstarter?  (Read 788 times)
SageGoneRogue
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »

Hi everyone,

We're hoping to roll out a Kickstarter campaign for our game, Spellspun. It's a retro-styled shooter with an unusual twist: the sidekick character constantly antagonizes the player. It's possible but difficult to win his friendship over through smart dialogue choices and stylish play. How much the player character is liked and trusted by the sidekick dramatically changes the story (and constantly changes little things in the dialogue, as well!)

We plan to direct potential backers to our demo, which is still in relatively early stages, but I think is starting to give a good indication about the game.

With all this in mind, we would love a few of you to take a look at our demo and let us know if it's Kickstarter-worthy! If it's not, what should we be trying to improve in a short time-frame to give us better odds? Some tutorial text for the spell-learning section is definitely necessary. If this was your project, what other changes would you make?

The game demo can be found here:
https://sagegonerogue.itch.io/spellspun

For the interested:
Quick gameplay GIF

Teaser trailer:

Thanks for everyone who has some advice to share!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:28:06 AM by SageGoneRogue » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:38:42 AM »

what will be the amount of money asked?
SageGoneRogue
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:17:11 AM »

No final decision on that yet, but we're thinking somewhere between 7.5-10k.

The final version of the game would have over 100 spells, 20 levels, multiple story branches and endings. Quite a bit of content. The game is feature complete, and it takes us a relatively small amount of time to generate new content for it, but there are so many things that should be more polished.
teemuki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »

No final decision on that yet, but we're thinking somewhere between 7.5-10k.

The amount sounds reasonable. How big is your follower base? You should make sure that you can get about 25% of the amount from your followers and personal networks (friends, family etc.). Also use a month or two to hype your funding campaign and get more followers for the project.

Also is that promo video the one you're going to use for kickstarter? If so, consider making a new one. The first 10 seconds of the trailer is the most important part. Make it engaging!

I'm just finishing my lunch so I don't have time to play test now. Lol. Gotta play it later and give my other two cents! Anyway, the game looks fun. Good luck!  Smiley
SageGoneRogue
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »

Teemuki, thanks for the great advice! We're still in the process of growing our follower base. At the moment, we have about 10% of our anticipated KS goal "pledged" by some of our closest supporters. I'll make sure we're working on growing that number. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic