Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:52:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGet a girlfriend. [GREENLIT] topdown RPG [dnb/edm ost]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Get a girlfriend. [GREENLIT] topdown RPG [dnb/edm ost]  (Read 2249 times)
Eugenik
Level 0

Hermes

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »

Get a girlfriend.

Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
Greenlight
Official website

New trailer:

1. 3d dynamic topdown with quantum mechanics principles and edm and dnb soundtrack
2. you want to meet girls at a party and you use drugs to be better at it
3. depending on what you say, girls get attracted to you. Different drugs will have different effects
4. your ultimate goal is to get a girlfriend in the shortest time possible.

Links: Twitter Facebook

The game is in very early stage, everything barely holds together, level has very small amount of details.

Hi.

I was playing with this idea for a long time - to do a game from a club scene,
where your goal is to find a girl, who is intelligent enough for you.
There are 3 phases of the conversation with each girl,
and the better you are in talking with her, the more attracted she gets. Like life.
Conversations are randomly generated, using stats of the girl.
You can aim to get a friend, one night stand or a girlfriend.

The view of the player is based on principles of quantum mechanics.
As you may know, your mind generates reality, that is proven.
So, in same way, only what the player sees, exists.
I portrayed the fuzzy, uncertain state as white space, where you only see the edges.

[version with all entities using quantum view cone]

You have basic stats.
You begin with high intelligence and very low empathy and self-esteem,
which may be a problem.
So, like a real person,
you have to talk your way through, gain experience talking to girls,
which will of course refuse you a lot - that will learn you even more on what to say.
You can help yourself. It's no problem to get your hands on some illegal substances
in more underground-y clubs, so why not use it to your advantage.

I tried to go for a realistic effect of the drugs, with corresponding character buffs.
(I don't know if steam, or even TIG has some policy against drugs, so I am using "weird"
and slang names such as X, L-ASS-D... so L-ASS-D will give you
slight hallucinations and elevated empathy (ego death not implemented, hehe Tongue)

Psychedelic substances will change your view on the world and open your mind.
So that is portrayed through changing of the circular "quantum" view.
You consciousness extends.

Anyway - below are some screenshots and two videos,
showing the conversations and onset of L-ASS-D.

For now I don't know how am I gonna push the player, perhaps through challenges.
I am also not sure what looks better,
if the version with edges youtube.com/watch?v=sW9ucFPgVTY (drug effect on 0:50)
or without them. youtube.com/watch?v=HiBwHy87m7g
Please provide some feedback.

high

main stats gui, and "high or not" status indicator

say the wrong things and her attractions goes down

her response

attraction - portrayed as sparkles (girl on fire)

in the middle of the dancefloor (L-ASS-D kicked in)

dealers have glowsticks on their hat

good old drug deal

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:07:18 AM by Eugenik » Logged
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »

We've got more details with the line version. I like the idea of the game. The music will play an import part in the experience. Will it be possible to change it ? As if we could choose the kind of club we go to ? are you NPCs gonna do little noises when they speak like in the sims ?

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Eugenik
Level 0

Hermes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »

Eyon:
Yes, the music will change. My idea is that you begin in edm clubs, there is not many drugs in those (at least from what I have seen), so you will have to rely on alcohol in the first club.
Then you move to underground clubs - that means dnb [Neurofunk to be exact, who would wan't to listen to liquid in an undergorund club? :D] and that also means more drugs available.
and the last level would be maybe Techno. But I am not sure about that, perhaps it will be only edm and dnb.
I have a DJ friend composing the EDM tracks and I found another Neuro DJ on the webz, some hard kickers he has.

The NPC's already have voices, try to listen closely, I have to fix it tho - too quiet. It's randomly played muffled words depending on text length of sentence (voice recorded from a friend, I will change pitch of it for different girls).

I realized I don't have a clear vision on what will be the end goal. Of course, to get a girlfriend.. but in what way?

1. you have to only use responses that will make her more attracted to you, if you use only one negative one, you cannot get that girl (just an idea, it does not work like that irl, so probably not gonna go this way)
2. you have to gain 10 empathy and 10 self esteem through the whole game, either talking to girls and gaining experience (exp converting to empathy or SE points) or you can drug yourself (but there will be upper limit on drugs, so you HAVE to gain exp via talking, choosing the right responses.)
 .. So when you have 10 empathy and 10 self esteem you unlock some conversation nodes in random girls with certain stats (girl with 10 INT, 10 EMP, 10 SE.. a f*cking unicorn basically) - there will be one (or more?) in each level, and you have to find her and talk yourself to the "girlfriend" node (basically meaning you will arrange a date? One night stands are usually not a gf material :D)
Same difficulty as real life.

So yeah, I will more likely implement the option #2. Any thoughts? Something I could do better?
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »

Well I didn't really play dating game so I'm not an expert. A mechanic we can see in many games though is when the girl tells you stuff about her during the conversations, and later she asks you if you remember. Like she can say that she loves whisky and then you can buy her a cocktail and if you get one with whisky she likes you.
I think that's a cool concept 'cause it relay on the player's memory and attention to details.

And yeah the end goal is important, it may be cool that finding girlfriends is not the goal but a mean to get to the end goal. Maybe the player wants to try this really cool night club where the girl of his dreams works/hang out and to get an invitation to that club he needs to get famous, to be liked. That's why he talks to people and make friends.
That's just a thought but you can find many cool end goals =).

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Eugenik
Level 0

Hermes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »

Get a girlfriend is now on Greenlight, so you can vote there.
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=895451411
New trailer:

Eugenik
Level 0

Hermes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »

Ever since I saw the post [1] from the author of Papers, please I wanted to create something similar for my game. And I did not have any other work needed to be done, so I could finally focus on the development of Get a girlfriend.

In this post I will describe how I generated 1000 random faces and what steps I had to undergo.

Get a girlfriend channels you can follow Smiley
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
Greenlight
Official website

Thanks to the time magic of writing this post-mortem I can post here what I have actually achieved.
These are faces my Python script (whole script near the end of the article) randomly generated, with then applied Cutout filter.

Final product.And this is a concept of how it could look in my game "Get a girlfriend". (feel free to comment on how I could improve the visuals or other aspects of the game, this is edited screenshot from my accepted Greenlight submission).

First I downloaded some photos, portraits.

I have used vectorizer.io on every single photo, played with parameters and then removed the background in Photoshop.

Then I installed psd-tools so I could work with Photoshop psd files. First I wanted to use Powershell, but there were complications with getting Pillow (PIL, image processing library) for Python 3.4.0, so I just used Ubuntu Subsystem, where everything went without a problem.

Okay, so I need to pick regions of the face somehow and then save them and arrange on a new face. Easy, right? This was my first try on how to do it:

I wrote a little python script to test if the PSD loading works, to prepare for the main script.

It outputs:

Okay, even after colorization of the manually pasted eyes and nose+mouth from different face, this looks horrible :D Gotta find a better way.

Here I tried different Photoshop filters to hide the imperfections.

This kind of face part segmentation is not enough, when I interchange the eyes it still is recognizable, even after filter applied. So I made the segments more precise and I also added overlapping hair layer.

Now I remove the eyes and nose+mouth from the faces.

I save eyes individually and fix asymmetry (in cases of faces with hair overlapping eyes).

Here I have sets of eyes and nose+mouth images.. yeah :D

The preparation of all this took me a few hours, now let's do the script!!

All our images and their layer info , we will need it

Some files turn out okay, but some seem a little... off :D

The problem was caused by padding of certain images. Simple crop solves it.

At this stage the generating is fine, but now it needs some serious polishing,also I need to implement a hair overlay. I will just use the whole hair part and paste it as a new layer on the final face+nose+eyes product.

It works!

But there is a problem with transparent edges of the layerand the mask. I am not sure how I managed to mess this up. And it stays even after applying a filter, so I definitely need to fixit.

Problem solved with Image.alpha_composite! (Image.paste andmask had wrong blending, thank you P.Melch). The line is gone Smiley

The result after applying a photoshop cutout filter(params 3,1,3) is looking pretty good.

I googled and did not find any satisfying solution forcreating the PS Cutout effect programmatically, except very low level stuffusing Sobel filters, median filters and dithering – all of which would bedoable, but I am looking for something more time efficient for me.

And I found it. I have noticed that vectorizer.io can producevery similar output to what I want.

(8 color, 10% blur, sort by area DESC)

So now I will look for some libraries that can dovectorization.
I found some low level libraries and there is just no timefor that.
I will try GIMP plugin, first I try to find equivalent of PSfilter in gimp.
I found FU_artist_cutout.scm for GIMP, which is directequivalent of cutout filter!!

After copying it to gimp scripts folder(Edit->Preferences->Folders->Scripts) and Refershing cache fromFilters menu, I now have the option to use it Smiley

It crashed at first, lets try again.
I also found G’MIC utility for image filters, it has API andI will use it if GIMP method fails. (gimpchat.com)

Lack of live previewin GIMP kind of sucks for initial testing of parameters, I get this 'meh' result:

(notice orange spots around nose and mouth)
Here I try G’MIC online version, and it’s looking quite good

Setting (5,0,2)

Now I will try to reproduce this in command line environment.

As it turns out, gmic can only use scripts, it does not have a command line parameter for cutout effect. In the file gmic_stdlib.gmic are definitions of filters, so it should suffice to find the definition for cutout effect and copy it Smiley

gmic_stdlib.gmic. Whats important are those lines:
fx_cutout :
  -repeat $! -l[$>] -split_opacity -l[0]
    -median {10-$3}
    -quantize $1
    --area. 0,1 med=${-med} -rm.
    -inpaint_holes {$med*$2%},0,1
    -if $4 -n 0,255 -endif-endl -a c -endl -done

Best settings for the Cutout filter seems to be the (5,0,2), so I edit the parameters like so:
-median8
-quantize 5
--area. 0,1 med=${-med} -rm.
-inpaint_holes {$med*0%},0,1

Windows versionof gmic has a problem, I will try using gmic script instead of cmd argumentsonly.

I have created following G'MIC script

Which when run

Produces thefollowing output. Of course that another problem arises :D

Yep, thebackground is not kept transparent how it is supposed to. Needs to be fixed.
Well, as it turnsout, this weird background shows only in Windows Explorer and Picture Viewer.In Photoshop its black. So theoretically, when we get rid of the Alpha channel,it stays black and it will be possible to use it as a „card“ in game, next tothe chat window.

Okay, so now Ionly plug in the command to my python script and set a few hundred iterationsfor some lovely results.

Turns outthat the script runs okay with gmic.exe, but for some *** reason notwith gmic in Ubuntu subsystem (some collision with $! bash operator). Because of that I will generate the images inpython and then do the post-processing in Powershell/Cmd.

Here is the whole Python script / Face generator.

And here is the script in action, generating faces Smiley

Then I ran the script for gmic. All images are randomly generated, but sometimes happens that theoriginal face parts are assigned back to the face, like in this case.

The script which applied the cutout effect to all of the 1000 images (Phenom II X4 955, about 20 minutes):

Here is a few faces generated by the script. Some look okay, some do not, that is a subject for improvement. I will try different values for the g'mic script and I am also going to add more faces for better diversity.I am also going to do some men faces for my game.

Yeah, and that't about it! Leave a comment if you have any questions, hate or praise! Thank you for reading Smiley
- Eugenik.

Sources:
[1] TIGSource, dukope - creator of Papers, Please
Example of his work:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:21:00 AM by Eugenik » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »

Cool technique, but using these real people's faces, even if composites, even if celebrities, is questionable, and possibly not quite legal. I would strongly urge you to draw, or have someone draw, the components instead. /: Tho maybe you meant to do this all along, and just used photos for testing out the technique?

EDIT: Tried to modify the tone of my message a little—sorry if it came off as rude.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:25:32 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Eugenik
Level 0

Hermes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »

I did not pick it up as rude, it's just the feedback I need Wink

Oh well, do you think that using creative commons photos would be ok? That was my plan originally, to draw it myself, but then I kind of did not do it, because I never learned to draw and it would look horrible. And I do not know anyone who can draw well, unfortunately.

So that is why I chose to do it this way, but there have to be some photos I can use, somewhere..

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

Phew, thanks. I always get so nervous about interacting with people I don't know all too well.
Yeah, there's probably something out there. Maybe even royalty-free drawings you can use instead of photos.

Maybe there's something on here:

https://openclipart.org/

We try to make it clear that you may use all clipart from Openclipart even for unlimited commercial use. We believe that giving away our images is a great way to share with the world our talents and that will come back around in a better form.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic