Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:31:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions[Unnoficial] TIGSource Writing Competition II: "The Pursuit"
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [Unnoficial] TIGSource Writing Competition II: "The Pursuit"  (Read 18337 times)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »

God damn it. I've rewritten my story TWICE and it's still too long.  Lips Sealed

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »

God damn it. I've rewritten my story TWICE and it's still too long.  Lips Sealed

Cut out your introduction. Your setup is too long.

Pit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:01 AM »

Light bringing Ianus
by Pit
999 words

For a short moment Rick had to close his eyes when he was leaving the hideout of the local mafia and was blinded by the setting fall sun. He was pursuing his boss, with just one objective, kill him. The streets were filled with people returning home from their work, accompanied by an unbearable noise hammering against his ears. He hated it. He wished they would fall silent when he approached them. As his victims did when he killed them.

It all began a week earlier when he accepted the job to obtain information about an enemy family striving after the market leadership. After getting the name of their boss he couldn't bear any longer the screaming of the woman he tortured. She became silent after a bullet traversed her larynx. But when he walked off he could still hear her baby crying behind his back.

A little boy who sold newspapers was shouting in the street. "Cold blooded murder in the Italian district". Rick thought about buying one to hide. But then considered it to be too classical.

His boss was angry because he got nothing more than the name. Said to him that he got seduced by his might, got heartless, evil, proud. Should look into a mirror and see what a pathetic life form he was. His boss didn't pay him. That was the moment when Rick decided to kill him. He deserved the money.

The darkening of the eve caused his majestic physique to be reflected in the shop windows. He stopped and turned his head. His eyes stared at the catalogs behind the glass. He wanted this money to buy a nice house in the Caribbean. For long enough had he been chasing this dream and stayed far behind it. He continued walking and coming closer to his boss.

After refusing to pay him, his boss talked about a trip he would take with his roadster to his nice weekend home.  He'd need some silence and nature he said. Rick wanted to give him that silence right off. His twin brother was the same. They were best friends, but Rick could never understand his lust for luxury and expensive cars and restaurants and suits. Those boring suits looked all the same in his eyes. Rick was proud to be modest.

He tried to stay as close as possible to his boss, not letting him out of his eyes. A bum was pulling on his clothes, begging for money. He followed him for eight minutes, until Rick spit his chewing gum on the ground. His boss arrived at a restaurant that belonged to their family. It was Rick's merit. He killed the former owners. Just with forks. He was proud about that. His boss didn't care. Rick took a seat between some people drinking a coffee on the terrace.

After hearing about the vacation, he had to act fast. But killing him in this own building was too dangerous. When his boss left the room to make a coffee, Rick followed him shortly after. The noise of the coffee machine drowned his breath while he was pressing his ear against the door. His boss was standing right on the other side, talking to someone on his mobile phone. Arranging a dinner for that evening in his restaurant. A cat approached Rick. He always hated these furry bastards always mewing at the wrong moment. Quickly he broke its neck and put it in the garbage bin.

Rick was sitting with his back towards the door, but he felt his hackles raising when his boss left the restaurant. He continued pursuing him. A mother asked Rick to help her with her broken baby carriage. But he didn't want to listen. Just pushed her by side. Behind his back, he could hear her baby crying. Family life was never an option for him. His career didn't allow it. His twin brother was the only family he had.

When his boss started to talk on the phone about which suit fits the leather seats of his car best, Rick sneaked away. He went to his small room with his mahogany desk, took his weapon and waited. When it was time, he left his room, passed through the corridor, took a short look at the garbage bin, checked if the cat was still there, it was, saw a notepad with a familiar telephone number, didn't have the time to think about it and headed in the direction of the front door, the direction of his boss. He left the building and closed his eyes.

Meanwhile the evening star had replaced the sun and they descended into an underground parking. Rick was right behind his aim, his dream he has been pursuing for so long. His boss got in the car. The gem faced him, approached him, its two headlights becoming brighter and brighter. Until the light of Rick's shot illuminated the whole floor. Slowly he ambled towards the car door, opened it and saw how a face bathed in blood fell out of the red roadster. It was a very familiar face. It was his own face. That of his twin brother. A notepad fell on the ground: dinner, 8:00 PM, restaurant Ianus, borrow car, parking Lucifer
A shadow approached from behind. A deep voice, that of his boss, an unbearable voice hammering against his ears.
"It has always been his dream to drive such a car. I decided to fulfill it. And you? Why? Why did you come? The money? The greed? Pride? The fear when realizing that power is just an illusion? Why didn't you listen to me? I hoped you'd become a better man than I did."
"This has all been a straightforward plan, from the beginning to the end, to attain my fall, right? Is this the end?"
"There is no end. A circle has no end."
When his boss left the underground in his bloodstained suit the echo of his shot was still following him.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

A little something while I think in something better.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »

A dark place

The darkness engulfed him. He sensed that the tick wall off nothingness hid vicious monsters. Scary visions wandered in his mind, the teeth, the claws, … soulless creatures lurked in the dark. He searches as his desperation grows exponentially, there must be a way out, but it isn't in his reach. Slowly he slides his hand across the wall until he feels a bump.
- Oh, here's the fucking light switch.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

'Tis the last day for entries!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »

Man, I am completely dry right now Sad

I have had a writer's block for a long time now...

Is there a chance that there will be another one of these after this? I would really like a chance to freshen up my skills Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »

With no word limit. (I realized my story was too long to be told in 1000 word)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »

Is there a chance that there will be another one of these after this?
I sure hope so!

(I still think a word limit is justified though.)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »

Take It Apart

It was late at night, and a man was looking for a thread.  This time it would work, he was certain of it.  Time could only twist in so many ways before it became undone.  He could see the seams, see them becoming frayed. 

He would take it apart and then...and then...and then what?  He thought to himself for a moment.  He remembered his childhood, of taking apart household machinery and putting it back together.  Eventually he began not simply putting things back together, but making things better.  Yes, that was what he would do.  It was simple.  You took something apart to see how it worked, and then you changed it into something better.

It's how he got here and how he would continue.  There was nothing else he could do.  He looked back through his laboratory.  Bright colors whizzed around each other in cages.  Earlier, when people visited to see his work, they thought it strange to put them in cages, like they were animals.  Like they were alive.  But they were alive, he had realized that a long time ago.  They were more alive than he was.  They were more sane than he was.  Sometimes he though he could hear them talking to him.  People didn't visit anymore.

He ate a food he invented himself, from a grain he bred himself, served by a machine he devised himself.  He made all he needed.  All the plant-life here were his experiments, from the moss growing between the cracks in the metal walls to the flowers which provided light to the room.  They grew with the energy from the sun held in one of his cages.

As his eyes followed the cages on the wall, he saw they got larger and larger, until one was half the height of the wall.  He flipped a switch to open the adjacent wall to reveal the window.  Although it appeared to be before him, it was actually above him...or was it below?  He had tinkered with dimensions so much in this building that he couldn't tell anymore.

Machines the size of molecules wandered like ants through the window.  He could see them all in frightening detail.  Toiling in his name.  He'd forgotten his name a long time ago.  He mused that they were toiling for his name, creating him a new one.  It would be him.  He had seen all the lights he kept in cages.  They knew more than he did.  He knew they knew more than he did.  But he learned.  And now, he was ready.

Perhaps the walls only have one side, he mused to himself, with a deep part of him beyond his awareness suddenly realizing with fear that the window was all around him.  Perhaps he had gone too far with his dimensional experiments.  There was only one side to the room now.  And it was all around him.  He was inside it.  A system of shining lights forming all around him.  It was all there was.

And he took it apart.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:32:18 PM by malec2b » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »

I weep for those behind me
  as sooner and sooner they will find me
    and long-held dreams I was so long ago binding
      will be lost, and their own I regretfully include. Signed, me.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009, 11:59:25 PM »

Okay it's over!

But you know, if you're writing something right this moment then finish and post it real quick because you know, timezones and all. And also the more the merrier. It'll count. But in like, a few hours it won't. But really this thing is officially over so hurry up.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:28 AM »

(My shamefully slightly late past-last-minute entry)

Ran Ran

"Ran!" Sergeant Teary's gruff call echoed between of the walls of the narrow alley, his large figure blocking entry to the street entirely. He fingered his badge. "We know you're here, Ran!" he called again. "Come out now and we may just...let you off easy." A smile at his lie.

No reply.

Teary nodded and his smile widened. He enjoyed the prospect of a chase. Enjoyed watching the ArmO units crush their target into submission. A crying, begging, pleading submission. Bloody, weak, helpless. Teary chuckled at the thought of Ran beaten and powerless. Anticipation.

At last he could hold it no more and let out a raspy, diseased laugh, and his nodding head shook violently up and down.

"Yes. So. You'll...take the hard way." The Sergeant regained his composure and stepped away from the alley, still nodding his head and smiling. He waved to two sleek, silvery beings behind him and they slipped into the alley with all the noise of a shadow. Teary produced a small computer from his jacket and sat down on the sidewalk. He powered up the computer and the monitor flashed on.

~

Ran took one last look out the window overlooking the alley. The acrid stench of the city drifted up out of its darkness. No sign of Teary. Ran tossed the last of his gear in a black duffel bag and headed for the stairs. He had heard Sergeant Teary's demands, heard his offer - his lie. Knew he had to leave. Had to live up to his name. Within a few hours Ran would be gone, vanished from between Teary's fingers like smoke. Maybe he'd be on a train to the Cyrnst, or a motorbike along Shasin highway, or on a plane to New Wicksley. Only certain thing: he wouldn't be here.
First things first, though.
He headed to the rooftops.

Ran pulled himself out of the maintenance shaft and onto the field of tar that was the Jothan Heights apartment complex roof. Doss, it stank out here. Ran surveyed the cityscape for a safe route.

To the north lay the center of the city. Buildings too high to be properly navigated, streets to wide to be jumped. Ground though, dangerous as it was, would be crowded there. It would be
easier to melt into the people. Train station was to the north as well, on the other side of town. Would be risky.

East and West were the residential districts. The ghettos. Flat and low enough to navigate easily and quickly. Monitored though, and easy to be followed. Subway station not far from here to the West. Would be crawling with pigs, though. Similarly risky.

And to the South...that great pumping factory, its mechanical thrum pounding steadily like the heartbeat of some great monster. Its pulse flowed throughout this city. Its toxic black breath flowed across the sky like a blanket of shadows, casting the city in a perpetual twilight, and its blood was the waste that flowed beneath the streets and buildings. Beyond it lay the airport and marina.

Ran stood a moment in thought. Something was wrong. He heard no footsteps coming up the stairs after him. No rustle of the army of pigs they usually sent after him. No running engine of cops in wait, ready to pursue him in his inevitable flight. Something was wrong. Ran whirled around, looking hard at every shadow on the roof.

Too late.

A click and the ArmO units pounced, one leaping from the maintenance shaft, the other from the darkness beneath a nearby billboard. One low. One high. No escape. The impact sent Ran spinning through the air head over heels. Hit like a truck. Ran landed on his duffel bag and jumped to his feet. Aching. Pain. He forced the sensations out of his mind. No pain. He had survived worse. Gotten out of tighter. The ArmO units were approaching for another strike, their liquid, silvery bodies reflecting the filth and blackness of the world around them. Pristinely clean beings among this wretched and dirt-ridden world, yet still they shone with all the evils of their surroundings. They whirred as they wound up for another pounce. Another click and they leaped again. Ran was ready this time. He dodged to the side, ducking beneath one of the units. The other unit managed to clip his foot, sending him off balance. Step, step, step. Ran caught himself. Step, step, step. Ran ran.

~

Sergeant Teary looked at the computer screen, smiling wide. He watched Ran on the display as he fled from the ArmO.

"Run, Ran, as fast as you can." Teary laughed aloud, "You've nowhere to go! You're dead, Ran! Dead!" The Sergeant's raspy laugh filled the street as he screamed; "DEAD!!!"

~

Ran leaped from roof to roof, the ArmO units closing in quickly behind him. There, up ahead. A window to a warehouse. Lights on inside. People. Ran made for the window, jumping off of an air-conditioning unit and into the glass. No shatter, No crash. Ran bounced off with a dull thud. The ArmO units were upon him, pounding away at his body. His arms did little to deflect their barrage of blows. Ran managed to plant his feet in the underside of one of the units and with a mighty shove he heaved it off of him. Ran rolled out from beneath the other and, for a second time, jumped to his feet. No pain. No blood. Forget the window. Ran dashed to the edge of the roof and, without pause, jumped off, over a street 4  stories below.

~

Teary watched his screen as Ran disappeared over the edge of the building and his laughing ceased. “NO!” The ArmO units moved to the building's edge and peered over, looking for their target. No sign of Ran. Teary's scream deafened even the city's pulse as he stared at the screen with no sign of his quarry.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 02:39:30 AM »

Bah.

I hate word limits. If its too long for you to read, don't read it. (And then don't vote for it)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 01:21:57 AM »

Okay so for voting should I just have a link to each entry's post or...anyone got a better idea?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »

Put a link to each post on the first post of the thread, and make it a poll.

There.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic