Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:44:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMetroidvania Platformer Beta V0.7 (New June 19th) POSTPONED
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Metroidvania Platformer Beta V0.7 (New June 19th) POSTPONED  (Read 10441 times)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:45:16 PM »

The title screen.

The starting point.

So, this exploration game has been in development for a couple months now, and I have to thank everyone who downloaded, and the few who bothered to actually give feedback for trying my game. This new update has taken me quite a while, and I certainly hope it's well received.

I'm also making a development log, which can be found here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6510
I'd love if people were to make comments on my posts there, because that's going to be the more idea based feedback.
It will have spoilers, however, if you actually care about that stuff.

Thank you all who have given their support.  Gentleman

Anyway, for those interested, the latest version can be found here:
DOWNLOAD

It's a mid/late beta of a Metroidvania game, or a majorly exploration based game with a large amount of freedom of order, if you don't know what that means. The latest version has 5 bosses, a mini-boss, around 12 enemies, 10 upgrades, 15 or so health upgrades, and dozens of rooms.

I think it's reached the point where true criticism would be highly appreciated, and useful.

New:
New areas, new bosses, new enemies, new upgrades. The list goes on and on.

I think that's all.

Specific Questions:
Is there anyway I can improve?
What would you like to see?
Are the tilesets okay looking? I know the enemies aren't, for the most part.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:28:01 PM by PureQuestion » Logged

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »

Specific Questions:
How do you like the player physics?
Is anything particularly buggy at this time?
What would you like to see?

I'll answer the first one: it's ok, maybe the player x speed should be reduced a bit. As it is your level is pretty... unforgiving Tongue.

Good luck with it!

edit: also
for object obj_enemy:

Error in code at line 5:
   Hp-=1

at position 2: Unknown variable Hp
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:16:20 AM by bicilotti » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 03:02:15 AM »

Um, not too much to say as of yet. I agree that the xVel is too high. I'd notch it down to about... 4.5 or so. Not too slow, but as it is I'm just running everywhere. Feels cheap.

As for progression... the jump height at the start feels awful. I know you lower the gravity really soon, and the jump height right after, but... well, they feel like powerups for the sake of Progress. There's like, 3 in quick sucession. Shrink it down to 1 instead. I'd suggest keeping the second double jump increase. It'll make starting fun, and give you a reward for navigating.

Uh, other than that... so far so good? I'll need to see more to give you anthing more solid, though.

I noticed that bug too. Better fix that.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:39:23 AM »

I fixed the bugs regarding enemies and shooting them. Twice, in fact, as it didn't take the first time.

I;ll make the physics a bit more forgiving.

Any specific ideas, though?

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »

Any specific ideas, though?

The game is very knytt-esque (in a good way), mechanics are good as are controls and physics (no, wait, for controls I have a suggestion: let the player remap them or have the keys closer to each other).

I personally like levels to be more "vertical" in their developement (but that's just a very personal opinion).

So far, so good! Good luck with level-design!

pgil
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »

It's a good start. Like others said, The player moves way too fast, but that seems to be a problem with the original engine, too. Also, when I first started, I immediately went left and had to restart the game because I couldn't jump back up.

I don't have a problem with the number of powerups... though If they were spaced out more it would give you more time to learn your new abilities.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm a big fan of your Spelunkey levels, so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this Beer!
increpare
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »

the whole not-being-able-to-jump-back-up-if-you-go-left thing seems a little spiteful
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »

Yah, I edited it already. You can get back. I've also gotten a save system working.

Expect that next version. There's only one load box, in the very first room, but save boxes are probably going to be spaced.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »

New Version!

Fixed various bugs, and added a save system!

Tell me if you find any problems.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »

New Version!

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

A new version. the additions are huge!

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »

Cool miniboss (even though I died 4 times in a row) (even I prefer the knyttesque "explore without caring too much about help").

Btw, some walls are like "dirty" (like there's a cobweb painted on them). I've tried to push them, fire at them, but nothing. Am I missing something?

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »

Cool miniboss (even though I died 4 times in a row) (even I prefer the knyttesque "explore without caring too much about help").

Btw, some walls are like "dirty" (like there's a cobweb painted on them). I've tried to push them, fire at them, but nothing. Am I missing something?

Yes. you need an upgrade.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »

At this point, the game feels and is exactly like An Untitled Story without grafics. Which is maybe natural, since you use Matt's engine. Basically every element is the same, running around in a world with only a few enemies, get upgrades to enter new areas, now and then fight a boss. You need something to make your game stand out! I think the problem is that you have started in the wrong end of it. Before you start to program and polish values in the jumping physics, sit down with paper and pencil and sketch out your idea!

Don't get me wrong, the player physics feels good(even though I too agree about that xVel thing), but your game is at this point a bit... generic. Try to come up with a cool idea as for how the character could move, maybe he has a grappling hook, or can climb, or can run on raindrops, or is cursed so that his personal gravity is turned and he must avoid to fall out into the sky. Or come up with a cool weapon for him, something that has not been seen before.

This has potential, but it really needs some extra spice to stand out!

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »

I agree. mainly I've just worked out the "guts". the main bits that will be used throughout.

I might try and add an extra gimmick in the next version. The newest mini-boss still needs to give something...

Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

This is a very nice prototype. The quintessential metroidvania game.  Beer!

Crits:
The shot firing has odd timing. If I press the fire key repeatedly it doesn't fire at timed intervals, I have to wait and then press the key. Is this because the character is going to have a "charge" of some kind?
When a block falls on the player it makes him unable to move until you fire it off. Maybe have it hurt the player and/or move off to the side?

Looking forward to see what this develops into. Gentleman

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »

New Version. Hell yah.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »

This is a very nice prototype. The quintessential metroidvania game.  Beer!

Crits:
The shot firing has odd timing. If I press the fire key repeatedly it doesn't fire at timed intervals, I have to wait and then press the key. Is this because the character is going to have a "charge" of some kind?
When a block falls on the player it makes him unable to move until you fire it off. Maybe have it hurt the player and/or move off to the side?

Looking forward to see what this develops into. Gentleman

I actually fixed both of these already. hahaha, how about that. :D

First one was a bug in teh code for faster reload(I think)
Second was fixed because I needed to fix it for the new mini boss(too bad this spoils the boss a bit.).

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »

New version. Incredibly New.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »

Could I get some feedback? No one's posted in weeks, but I get several views a day!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic