Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:26:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMetroidvania Platformer Beta V0.7 (New June 19th) POSTPONED
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Metroidvania Platformer Beta V0.7 (New June 19th) POSTPONED  (Read 10455 times)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

Guess not, huh?

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

Finished the demo with all 10 health upgrades. This might seem like an odd question, but are you good at platformers? The player feels very overpowered most of the time.

I like how the armor makes you immune to weaker enemies/projectiles over time.

Using the mouse to place platforms when you move with the arrow keys and jump with "x" either requires three hands or two people. In general, this ability could be very overpowered.

Hyperdash works well, as in FLaiL.

Having to shoot a block in midair then jump to avoid hitting a near insta-kill spike is fairly cruel to ask of the player just to save after the first boss fight.

Loading should probably be a menu item, not an in-world object.

Bosses have enough hits that you should probably show a health bar.

I didn't see any pattern for the block destruction after each hit in the third boss. Sometimes the blocks spawn over the player unpredictably. One block blocked the entrance and it wasn't intuitive that you could make a block jump by shooting it at an angle.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 03:23:46 AM »

Finished the demo with all 10 health upgrades. This might seem like an odd question, but are you good at platformers? The player feels very overpowered most of the time.

I like how the armor makes you immune to weaker enemies/projectiles over time.

Using the mouse to place platforms when you move with the arrow keys and jump with "x" either requires three hands or two people. In general, this ability could be very overpowered.

Hyperdash works well, as in FLaiL.

Having to shoot a block in midair then jump to avoid hitting a near insta-kill spike is fairly cruel to ask of the player just to save after the first boss fight.

Loading should probably be a menu item, not an in-world object.

Bosses have enough hits that you should probably show a health bar.

I didn't see any pattern for the block destruction after each hit in the third boss. Sometimes the blocks spawn over the player unpredictably. One block blocked the entrance and it wasn't intuitive that you could make a block jump by shooting it at an angle.

in no particular order:

Boss 3: There isn't a true pattern for block destruction during boss 3. every time he get's hit, each block has a 1 in 3 chance of being destroyed. I also programmed it so they all get destroyed when the boss dies. I guess that's not in the newest release, however.

Yeah, You're right, a boss health bar would be a good idea.

I actually didn't like armor being so powerful. I got rid of two of the 3 that were added so far.

Not being able to easily use the mouse platform is actually part of the balancing.

As for the difficulty, it's actually something I'm trying to work out. The next version has a lot more enemies in area one, and a couple new enemy types.

I'll probably release a new version after creating boss 4 and a few new rooms.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

Update. Also, help with graphics would be great.

midyan91
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 12:03:24 AM »

So, this exploration game has been in development for several weeks now, and I have to thank everyone who downloaded, and the few who bothered to actually give feedback for trying my game. This new update has taken me quite a while, and I certainly hope it's well received. Additionally, I genuinely hope someone will actually decide to help with graphics, because I am in desperate need of this kind of help. Beg

Thank you all who have given their support.  Gentleman

Time for a break.  Tired

Anyway, for those interested, the latest version cna be found here:
DOWNLOAD

It's an early beta of what will eventually be a Metroidvania. So far I have four bosses, several enemies, and the engine is nearly done, I just need more bosses, enemies, and upgrades. The major things left is graphics, something I really need help with.

New:
A new area, several system upgrades,a new actual upgrade, a few new loose end kind of rooms(which will have new stuff at the end of them later), and a main menu. It's not nice looking as of yet, but it's there.

Specific Questions:
Is there anyway I can improve?
What would you like to see?

If you happen to be interested in helping with aesthetics(graphics, music, sound), that would be fantastic. I suck at those.

Pretty good pretty good Cool.....i am gonna agree with everyone else about the speed thingy. lol sorry Tongue...... i would offer to help you with tiles Gentleman...but im just too busy learning c++(i gotta get it down lol) Tired..but yea good job so far! Smiley
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 03:52:46 AM »

I could drop the player's max speed a bit more, I suppose. Maybe boost the friction a bit, too.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

new version! see first post for details!

senae
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

hey, I was playing this for the last while, and I think I've seen all there is to see (4 bosses and 4 rooms that will be bosses?) including a bug that compelled me to hop on here and tell you about.

I was doing some exploring with the mouse platforms, pausing in midair and then repositioning them to get higher when I went above the world, which threw the error:
Code:
for object obj_player:

Error in code at line 1:
   room = rm_6_2;

at position 8: Unknown variable rm_6_2

You might want to look into treating the boundary as a wall/ceiling/floor if it can't find the room.

Aside from that, really great game!
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 08:13:34 PM »

I've been trying to figure out something like that, but I 'm coming up blank/ Nothing seems to work.  Shrug

senae
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:53 AM »

I was about to suggest a try...catch block to deal with that but it seems that gamemaker doesn't have that. I just downloaded it and was messing around a bit, and it seems that you can call the Room_Exists() method when you need to make the transition, and it'll return false if the room doesn't exist.

I've got no idea how easy that would be, I've never looked at gamemaker before, and for all I know you need to specify the code for moving from room to room separately for each individual room.

Good luck!

Edit:I was just trying to break your game a bit more,by going up and up and up, and you'll be pleased to note that it _seems_ to go forever. I was up to -3 or -4 when I stopped. I started going to the right and it kept going too, just copying the original map again and again. But then it somehow loaded the boss placeholder room.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wppfh2&s=5

After I tried to leave from the left it couldn't find a room, so I spawned back on the right. Since I was inside a floor it just pushed me upwards, where there also was no room.

The wall just kept pushing me up and up.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:35:21 AM by senae » Logged
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »

There's a very specific reason for this. The game loads a new map based upon an X variable and a Y variable. if the room isn't found, it just loops you around and changes the variables anyway. Because of this, if it does eventually find a room with the matching co-ordinates, you'll end up there.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »

Finally, a new version. Tons of upgrades. I would love some feedback at this point.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

Uploaded a new version.

I accidentally left a high powered enemy in the first room.

Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »

Could you post some new screen shots? pretty please Wink

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:54 AM »

Alright then. New screen shots now up. They're spread throughout the main text. They're pretty big, though.

rogerlevy
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »

PureQuestion,

Saw your post on my thread.  While I MIGHT be doing some little music for someone else first (depending on when he gets back to me with what he wants), I could see this being something fun to do.  Well, because I love Metroid, ha ha.  PM me about what you need and what you were looking for style-wise, or if you weren't looking for anything in particular, that is, were looking for something along a certain lines on which you could build and grow your concept, because so far it seems you're just laying down some kind of technical foundation, which is fine. Panda
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic