Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:14:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeNeed Critique on my University application Portfolio. ART
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Critique on my University application Portfolio. ART  (Read 3766 times)
AutumnPioneer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »

I posted in the workshop board but I don't think many people venture into there so..

I'm just looking for some critique or comments for my portfolio to be honest! I'm currently applying for university, so this would be great help for me!! Spare me a minute? Grin

https://www.artstation.com/artist/autumnpioneer

Some examples if you don't wanna click the link!

WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:11:35 AM »

Hi!

I'm no artist, so this is just, like, my opinion man.   Ninja

The water in the dungeon could use some work. It's very obvious it does not have any depth. Fine for the coffee fumes in the latter images, but the water is a bigger part of the dungeon scene.
The potted plant is a bit weird. Too normal leafs to be alien, to weird stem to be normal. Choose a direction there I'd say.

Other than that, it looks like nice low-poly game graphics! What program are you applying for?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »

I don't know what the requirement for your school application is in terms of volume, but imo there are some unnecessarily weak things tacked on here. The toast scene and pixel art tiles in particular are much less impressive than your other work.

Also, I doubt a school will care about something this technical, but I noticed all your transparent textures are a little messed up so I figure I should point it out -- in the mossy hammer scene, there are jpeg style compression artifacts around the edges of the grass. In the plant scene, there's a faint yellowing/white line right where it becomes transparent. Make sure that your texture is padded so the colors continue the same after the transparent border, and that transparency is handled in an alpha channel, not with a transparent layer. And don't save to lossy formats like jpeg.

(just in case it isnt clear, heres a screenshot of the kind of error im talking about: https://puu.sh/v7YZi/a4f50e6b0f.jpg)

AutumnPioneer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:15:26 AM »

Thanks for your words, i do think the water needed work but i needed to move onto another piece to fill up my portfolio, so i agree here.
, but imo there are some unnecessarily weak things tacked on here. The toast scene and pixel art tiles in particular are much less impressive than your other work.

The pixel art was just for a little variety, i agree they're pretty weak also. The toast scene however I've had a lot of good feedback for for the painted lighting, i was even featured on a website for this piece.

The textures are always PNG, never jpeg. Sometimes the edges are the issues with the sketchfab viewer however.

The program is also just at university so it's not that i have to be amazing right now  Smiley
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

I don't know anything about art school, but if I had an art school, I'd accept you. I think your stuff looks awesome.

Only negative thing I can think of is that you don't have a lot of stuff on there, and what you have is all the same style (except the pixel art, which is honestly a little meh). That may or may not be a bad thing.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »

Sorry, I'm a little late to the thread.

I don't know how the situation is outside of the US, and my knowledge is a little outdated as it's been a few years since I was college entry age. Everything I'm about to say is super subjective based on my own experience.

I think your portfolio is very strong compared to the people I was "competing" against. Honestly, 90% of the people applying for the 3d modelling program I entered had no portfolio. (And the school I went to was one of the few non-fledgling programs in the US, though I also know the situation at 2 other major schools in my state due to my friends going to them.) At the colleges in my area, most people just decide to try to get into games with no actual prior interest in art, animation, or programming. They just like games. I'd say you're a few steps ahead. Though as I said before, this might have changed in the past couple of years.

One warning, I don't know if you researched this ahead of time, but different schools use different programs. My friend's school focused on Maya and mine used 3DSmax, so take into account that you might need to switch and that not all your knowledge of that program will transfer. Switching from 3DSmax to blender after I left school was a much bigger task than I initially imagined.

And as joseph said, the pixel art was the weak link, but it looks like you've removed it as of now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic