Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 08:31:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat's the influence of your significant other in the conception of your games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What's the influence of your significant other in the conception of your games?  (Read 6938 times)
Plankhead
Level 0

My personal text is better than your personal text

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 07:33:34 AM »

I'm in a pretty good situation in this regard, because my boyfriend is actually much more of a gamer lately than I am. Granted, that's because he has the income to afford a faster computer and all three consoles (I still have never owned one), but still, he plays a lot more than I have. So despite the fact that he doesn't usually make great suggestions, he's great to talk to about my stupid ideas because he knows what the hell I'm talking about. And often, just talking to a live human being about an idea can help me develop it about ten times further within two minutes.

So yeah, he smiles and nods as I babble, and somehow it helps me think.

Zacqary Adam Green
Chief Executive Only Person, Plankhead
http://plankhead.com
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

I'm in a pretty good situation in this regard, because my boyfriend is actually much more of a gamer lately than I am. Granted, that's because he has the income to afford a faster computer and all three consoles (I still have never owned one), but still, he plays a lot more than I have. So despite the fact that he doesn't usually make great suggestions, he's great to talk to about my stupid ideas because he knows what the hell I'm talking about. And often, just talking to a live human being about an idea can help me develop it about ten times further within two minutes.

So yeah, he smiles and nods as I babble, and somehow it helps me think.

that's gotta be nice. My wife had a gamecube before we got together, but she's not really a hardcore gamer, she's much more of a casual gamer who gets obsessed about very select games. She still holds the Tetris DS record way over mine, and she beat Katamari way before me. But she barely plays my Mame arcade.

For me my spouse is much more of a geiger counter, I'll start working on a project and if its at all a cool idea she'll poke her head in and start making lots of input. If its a boring/bad idea usually she'll give me the "thats nice" comment and leave. So if she's interested usually its actually a cool idea, if she's bored its time to rethink it.

But she also likes to play game designer a lot of the time, and I have to tell her "no, I can't make a full 3D katamari game in two weeks with cute hamsters and awesome graphics." Or if she comes up with a game design idea that is intriguing, I'll try to get more information about it. Like for Pyweek, she said "why don't you make a cool stealth game where you are stealing things from an old guys lawn and you can't get caught." I was like "Yeah! Where should I add in the super fun parts so its like really cool. Should I have like dogs, or the old guy randomly appears, or he like gets alerted when you're too close?" and she took that as I thought her idea was bad and not fun.

Also I think its a lot harder for her to relate when I'm doing more retro games, like lately my NES projects have been 100% tech demos. I'm like "CHECK IT, PHYSICS ON THE NES" and she rolls her eyes. It's a lot easier for her to be interested when I'm more like 50% of the way through a project vs. the design phase. But also she's very supportive of me, and tries to encourage me to keep going on projects I want to abandon.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »

My wife is an amature writer in the same way I am an amature game maker. So she understands when I am up till 2:00am because I had a realy great idea and I can't let sleep get in the way. Beyond that she smiles and nods when I go on a rant about my latest idea. I have used her on occasion to proof read some text the end user will see, especialy if it relates to the story.

She doesn't game much beyond Baulders Gate and some point and click adventures. She clings to the blief that story is important in entertainment media. So she could care less about unique game play dynamics.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »

I don't have a significant other, which is probably why I am so useless when it comes to game development, writing and other projects. I rarely finish anything. But when I do finish it, it is usually some romance crap which makes me think "What the fark, do I really need to get laid THAT badly?".

Ehm. Move along.
Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »

Not getting laid by my wife fuels me creatively.

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:58 PM »

current girlfriend/sex buddy inspired a few character designs i've been working on to make less horrible, however she's not really a huge fan of games past mario and zelda games, or konjak's stuff(not sure how she found out about his stuff but !!!) so i don't really rely on her for much past inspiration for people to use in game projects that will probably never be finished
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

My girlfriend definitely knows about my indie game dev activities (usually is the form: 'When are you coming to bed?'). She is supportive, even though she really doesn't play games. Occasionally she'll play just to show she's interested in what I am interested in. Rarely is she involved in the creation process, usually I ask he opinion on character designs, etc.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »

My girlfriend definitely knows about my indie game dev activities (usually is the form: 'When are you coming to bed?'). She is supportive, even though she really doesn't play games. Occasionally she'll play just to show she's interested in what I am interested in. Rarely is she involved in the creation process, usually I ask he opinion on character designs, etc.

Ditto.  Except my girlfriend also loves Animal Crossing and Zelda.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »

Mine is a die hard Guitar Hero fan, and I recently turned her into a World of Goo addict Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 03:27:22 AM »

I once showed my girlfriend a physics test app I'd made. She asked me "won't all the boxes that fell off the bottom of the screen clog up the computer's workings?". She's an unintentional comic genius and I love her for it. Except for the occasional Wii/DS party game her gaming tastes are totally different to mine. Meaning other than moral support she doesn't really influance my games.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »

My girlfriend really enjoys rythm games, from RockBand to Elite Beat Agents, she will play them till completion. Other then that, it's really weird what games she decides to play, she beat Fable 2. She also got mad at me for beating Shadow of the Colossus when she wasn't watching. As an influence, she makes sure I spend my time working on stuff and not messing around when I should be working.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »

My girlfriend draws stuff for me (including this sweet penguin-with-glasses-avatar-thing on the left) and that's pretty helpful. Otherwise, she's only reluctantly accepting of video games. The two games she likes are Peggle and Pac-Man World 2.  Big Laff

So, as long as it's not while I'm with her, she enjoys the fact that I'm making games. If we are together for any extended period of time, I can hardly touch the computer unless I'm showing her more Keyboard Cat videos...

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »

Oh yeah, my girlfriend enjoys a duel of peggle once in a while.

Also, she finds the sims boring. She couldn't be more perfect  Kiss
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic