Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:14:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Webmaster - A horror adventure game / visual novel
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: The Webmaster - A horror adventure game / visual novel  (Read 21857 times)
propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »

Here's a sequence from the story's prologue. I'm thinking of finishing this part of the game and releasing it as a little teaser demo. I always hate it when demos give away too much of the main story and this prologue pretty much stands on its own.

The Webmaster Game: Website - Twitter - Devlog
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2021, 04:15:12 AM »

Your visual storytelling is top-notch, you know that?
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2021, 07:38:33 PM »

This is beautiful scenary. Will they also be animated?
propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2021, 02:02:10 PM »

Your visual storytelling is top-notch, you know that?
Thanks, really appreciate it Smiley

This is beautiful scenary. Will they also be animated?
I'm going for what one might call "minimal animation": Anything that can be animated in 2D within the game engine is an option, be it lights flickering, rain falling or wisps of fog floating around.

But I don't intend to do any "real" 3D animation, simply because it's incredibly expensive both in terms of computation and effort. Besides, I have no sense of rhythm whatsoever, so I'm terrible at it Shrug

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2021, 05:33:46 AM »

I have a confession to make: I’ve been secretly maintaining an MS-DOS port of the game. It’s got that nice Mode X 256-color VGA look, keyboard and mouse input, plays Ink stories, and since this week… Sound Blaster support!

And... I have absolutely no idea why I am doing this.

It's just what normal people do during their time off, right...? Porting their games to ancient computer platforms that nobody in their right mind's used in 25 years?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2021, 07:09:28 AM »

absolutely no idea why I am doing this
Authenticity. I think the word you're looking for is authenticity.
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2021, 12:18:05 AM »

I'm going for what one might call "minimal animation": Anything that can be animated in 2D within the game engine is an option, be it lights flickering, rain falling or wisps of fog floating around.

But I don't intend to do any "real" 3D animation, simply because it's incredibly expensive both in terms of computation and effort. Besides, I have no sense of rhythm whatsoever, so I'm terrible at it Shrug

I see, i also think that by doing fluid animation it can ruin a bit of the game mood altough i also think your game can benefit a lot from a motion comic style animations. Still it is nice and i want to see more
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2021, 03:26:55 AM »

I have a confession to make: I’ve been secretly maintaining an MS-DOS port of the game. It’s got that nice Mode X 256-color VGA look, keyboard and mouse input, plays Ink stories, and since this week… Sound Blaster support!

And... I have absolutely no idea why I am doing this.

It's just what normal people do during their time off, right...? Porting their games to ancient computer platforms that nobody in their right mind's used in 25 years?

That is so cool, I would love to play your game on my Win98 machine. Although I often have trouble with sound and DOS games, because I don't have an ISA slot Wink The screenshot in VGA looks great!

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2021, 09:54:34 AM »

Authenticity. I think the word you're looking for is authenticity.
Authentic, yes, but also slightly anachronistic Wink The story takes place in the later half of the 90s, where such low resolutions were already considered a tad behind the times.

I might try with 640x480, though... that'll work in DOS and be more appropriate for the setting of the story.

That is so cool, I would love to play your game on my Win98 machine. Although I often have trouble with sound and DOS games, because I don't have an ISA slot Wink The screenshot in VGA looks great!
Definitely need to get myself one of those old PCs! Currently I'm testing in DOSBox, and while it certainly makes for a more comfortable development environment, it just isn't quite the same thing Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »

Definitely need to get myself one of those old PCs! Currently I'm testing in DOSBox, and while it certainly makes for a more comfortable development environment, it just isn't quite the same thing Smiley

At some point you definitely have to check it on a CRT if you can Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2021, 01:34:15 AM »

I could not resist Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2021, 06:43:09 AM »

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!
propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »

That's brilliant, made my day Smiley

Mind if I post the image on Twitter?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »

Of course, post away! I'd also gladly do some testing of the DOS version once it is in a state you feel comfortable to share it.

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »

Of course, post away! I'd also gladly do some testing of the DOS version once it is in a state you feel comfortable to share it.

Sweet, I might actually take you up on that! Would be really interested in seeing not only whether it runs at all, but also what kind performance one can expect. In DOSBox it's fine on a 386, but I'm not sure how much trust I can put into that.

What hardware specs are you running?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2021, 01:23:54 AM »

Sweet, I might actually take you up on that! Would be really interested in seeing not only whether it runs at all, but also what kind performance one can expect. In DOSBox it's fine on a 386, but I'm not sure how much trust I can put into that.

What hardware specs are you running?

My PC might be a bit too new. I wanted to have the best specs I could get in a Windows 98 machine, which is why it is a Pentium 4 with a GeForce4 and 512 MB Ram. Because it is a Windows 98 system, there is DOS running in the back of course, but compatibility is not the best.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2021, 01:28:26 AM »

I wonder if the hard drive is the bottleneck with these old systems
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2021, 05:41:01 AM »

The concept is great. You manage to find a look that fits the theme of the story so well. (Great graphical style btw)
Good job!

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »

My PC might be a bit too new. I wanted to have the best specs I could get in a Windows 98 machine, which is why it is a Pentium 4 with a GeForce4 and 512 MB Ram. Because it is a Windows 98 system, there is DOS running in the back of course, but compatibility is not the best.

No worries. For starters it'll just be cool to see whether it runs on real hardware at all.

I wonder if the hard drive is the bottleneck with these old systems

HDDs... I forgot all about those spinning plates of rust. Even from my SSD, it takes quite a while to load the animations in DOSBox in the lower processor settings. Might be time to optimize my GIF loading routines... or at the very least add a "loading" screen.

The concept is great. You manage to find a look that fits the theme of the story so well. (Great graphical style btw)
Good job!

Cheers, really appreciate it Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2021, 04:00:57 AM »

No worries. For starters it'll just be cool to see whether it runs on real hardware at all.

Cool, then just let me know as soon there is a version to test!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic