Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1398460 Posts in 67602 Topics- by 60944 Members - Latest Member: rashwinbarwa

January 28, 2022, 04:38:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Webmaster - A 2.5D horror adventure game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: The Webmaster - A 2.5D horror adventure game  (Read 14562 times)
Alain
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2022, 07:27:25 AM »

And I cannot think of any other DOS game featuring a similar effect... who'd have thought that there's still room for innovation in DOS gaming after all these years? Hand Metal Left

Man, that is incredibly cool!

vdapps
Level 4

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2022, 08:48:12 AM »

Cool effect! It's nice to see modern touches on old school gfx. I like it.

In fact, I feel like it's something we as players missed. Evolution of games took quick direction to "everything 3D" with coming of first 3dfx in 1997 and games using such thingies were dropped as "non-modern". But now with indie development super-strong, it's time to implement everything we missed and AAA studios are never going to provide. Wink

oldblood
Level 9

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »

The whole aesthetics and vibe with this game never cease to amaze!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2022, 01:49:47 AM »

Implementing that "deep canvas" in DOS is quite impressive! ^_^

(As, I'll confess, are the visuals overall! ^_^)

Moons in Crystal
A Fantasy Top-Down Space-Shooter Metroidvania
Itch page ~ Twitter
Ondra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2022, 02:44:35 AM »

This is awesome!! I am so jealous right now, I must trash talk this everywhere to be able to even look on my project again.
propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2022, 08:47:09 AM »

Cheers, I appreciate the kind words, everyone Smiley

This is awesome!! I am so jealous right now, I must trash talk this everywhere to be able to even look on my project again.
Well... they do say there's no such thing as bad publicity Beer!

Cool effect! It's nice to see modern touches on old school gfx. I like it.

In fact, I feel like it's something we as players missed. Evolution of games took quick direction to "everything 3D" with coming of first 3dfx in 1997 and games using such thingies were dropped as "non-modern". But now with indie development super-strong, it's time to implement everything we missed and AAA studios are never going to provide. Wink

That's an interesting point. I've always felt like the transition to 3D graphics was rushed. We went from intricate, high-quality art where every pixel was deliberate to well... blocky polygons with muddy textures. Of course, eventually graphics fidelity surpassed what came before, but it certainly does feel like there's something of a missing link where things went unexplored in the 2D realm.

As for the progress on the game, it's difficult right now. Not for lack of trying, but it feels like something went wrong somewhere along the line: Over the last week I managed to add support for Sound Blaster (OPL3) music, which is very appropriate for the game's period and, of course, any self-respecting DOS game.
The trouble is... it just sounds kinda crap. And I don't just mean my lack of skills in the music department -- for the life of me I just cannot think of any games of the DOS era that had genuinely spooky music. The Sound Blaster FM synth lacks effects such as echo and reverb, and those effects are what makes many spooky soundtracks, well, spooky. Not to mention a decent sounding piano or, gasp, a string section...

Audio and music is intended to be a big part of the experience of this game. The sounds I've heard over the course of the last week suggest that the period-appropriate FM synth just isn't going to cut it, sadly.
Which leaves CD-Audio (or MP3) as the only other option. The advantage there of course is the plethora of high-quality soundtrack material available for licensing, which has the added benefit of leaving me with one less thing to worry about.

But at that point it doesn't feel like much of an old-school DOS experience anymore, does it?

And that kind of leaves me wondering whether the whole DOS thing is even worth the trouble. If the medium cannot transport my vision without betraying what makes up the medium itself, then perhaps that's a sign I ought to go crawling back to Unity; it's less fun and certainly less avant-garde, but it does let me create what I envisioned without compromise.

The Webmaster Game: Website - Twitter - Devlog
bayersglassey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2022, 08:52:13 AM »

for the life of me I just cannot think of any games of the DOS era that had genuinely spooky music

Not a DOS game, but this immediately made me think of Sweet Home for the NES, which had some creepy music for sure...

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2022, 10:34:31 AM »

for the life of me I just cannot think of any games of the DOS era that had genuinely spooky music
Not a DOS game, but this immediately made me think of Sweet Home for the NES, which had some creepy music for sure...
Wow, that's an excellent example of creepy music with extremely limited hardware.

Strangely enough, I can also think of several examples of genuinely spooky NES soundtracks. It's just in MS-DOS where I can't come up with much... even games that ought to be spooky, say Alone in the Dark, just don't seem to do it for me. The witch's forest in King's Quest V isn't too bad, I suppose.

Would love to hear more examples if anyone has them Smiley

The Webmaster Game: Website - Twitter - Devlog
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic