Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:13:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Webmaster - A horror adventure game / visual novel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The Webmaster - A horror adventure game / visual novel  (Read 21599 times)
propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

And another shot wrapped up!  Beer!

Backstory: As the kids try to make their way into the haunted theme park they realize they can’t just bust in through the main entrance. Looking for alternate ways to get inside, they come across a culvert that seems to lead straight where they’re heading. And just like any self-respecting teenage horror movie victims participants, they (of course!) decide to enter the darkness…

The Webmaster Game: Website - Twitter - Devlog
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »

This looks great.  You're nailing the retro vibe with old PC interface and VHS effects. Also, it's crazy that those are rendered graphics - I also thought they were photos made grainy in editing. Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »

That's a really neat trick with the 2.5D lighting. Smiley

Though, make sure that the character's shadow isn't darker than the tombstone's (or other objects') shadow as that could break the "illusion". Wink

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 02:42:33 PM »

Though, make sure that the character's shadow isn't darker than the tombstone's (or other objects') shadow as that could break the "illusion". Wink
Well spotted! I've gone ahead and added an option to the shader which allows me to override the shadow's color in order to better match the environment. That should do the trick!

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »

Of course we're not limited to static light sources -- we can even move a light around. Here we have a dynamic point light moving around and lighting up just the appropriate region of the scene. Also note how the character sprite casts proper shadows onto the background geometry.

That is really cool Hand Thumbs Up Right

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:41 AM »

followinggggg

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

Well spotted! I've gone ahead and added an option to the shader which allows me to override the shadow's color in order to better match the environment. That should do the trick!
Sounds good!

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »

This looks reaaaally good. Shocked

I actually don't mind the videotape effect, it adds to the atmosphere, and that takes paramount over model quality, even though they're reaaally good as well.

Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 06:15:59 AM »

Completely following this !

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

mmmmm dat visuals, sweet nostalgia  Hand Thumbs Up Right

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »

This looks absolutely lovely!

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I consider myself first and foremost a coder these days, so it makes me all the happier to see that my "programmer art" is being well received.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »

O man this looks fun. Can't wait to try a demo : )

IncrediCorp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 10:21:19 AM »

Looks nice, interesting project!

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Just a quick update today: I've been messing around with various ideas for the game's menu screen and finally settled on something that I feel suits the style pretty well. 
In keeping with the late '80s/early '90s vibe, I've mocked up this handheld game console as the menu system. This is where the player will be able to load and save their progress as well as adjust the game's settings.

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »

Today I'd like to show some of the character designs I've been working on lately. I've shown a lot of background art here already. Now it's the characters' turn! The designs are still very much work-in-progress but I feel they're starting to come together finally.

On the right we have Emma -- she's a bit of a wallflower. The cool dude on the left is the oldest brother, Pete. He's a huge metal fan. Last but not least in the middle we have the youngest sibling, Mikey; he's the playable character in this game.

And here is one of the more villainous characters. Because obviously no haunted theme park would be complete without a creepy evil clown lurking around the corner, right?

Finally there's also this background I've been working on for a while: We're looking up at the boys' treehouse in the woods. This is where the story unfolds when they discover an unexpected visitor.

And that's it for today!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »

christ your 3D work is good

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »

I hope with the name like Fatal Attractions, the game will have gruesome deaths, like good old point & click games / adventure games.  Evil
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

Not enough flannel!

Great job :D
I love it, your 2.5D approach is genius. It's a bit sad the camera must be static, but oh well it's worth it!

I agree the VHS effect looks nice, but the white lines hurt my eyes and I would turn them off if I could. Maybe use that only at the start of the screen and then just do less intrusive VHS effects, chromatic aberration or these differently colored rectangles... Maybe not flashing but rolling? Dunno.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »

For gruesome point-and-click deaths, you'll definitely have to play the last level of Phantasmagoria for inspiration. (You can skip any chapter IIRC, so you wouldn't have to play the rest, although you could.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic