Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:14:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is your game, and why are you making it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is your game, and why are you making it?  (Read 1370 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »

Serious questions for discussion:

-What is your game?

-Why are you making the game you're making? What inspired you?

-What do you want the player to experience? What is your artistic purpose?

---

You can use one of your previous games, or a game you want to make, if you are currently not making one.
This thread is meant for introspection and not self promotion.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »

*snaps suspenders* Let me tell you about the treachery and danger inherent to this web site circa a few years ago...
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »

*snaps suspenders* Let me tell you about the treachery and danger inherent to this web site circa a few years ago...

Are you referring to this?
That is from a lost era I was not a part of.

---

But regardless, just generally curious why people are making their games.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »

i do not make games as a singular entity by my self, but i do participate in their creation. i do it because i value the ability to do something creative, and to expend that creative energy that builds up in the course of a daily life that is, aside from the many web sites i troll with my very good posts, otherwise bereft of it. i don't have a message to get across, there's just things that i find funny that i want to write about.

ultimately i don't give a shit if they like it or find it funny, i write it because i think it is funny. like this https://youtu.be/JQK5R1Wk88o?t=711
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »

Serious questions for discussion:
serious thread ? cool

-What is your game?
Malaika Princess : Victoray Road

Story and inspiration wise , it's the following to this anime of mine (2008/2009 work )

Why i do this ? I heard some people were interested into making more about this kind of universe and i decided to continue as a video game
Also victory road is a simple mini game actually , infinite runner
Why i do this type of video game is cause it fit well the actions presented into my anime film
I also want to get into the runner genre wich i never did before and since i like to explore and try new things , it's my chance !

Experience the feeling of speed and infinite liberty about it , also experience the craziness of the actions in it
I want the player to understand that in my movie the heroes actually have really crazy skills in the art they practice : the earth-gliding
I also try some new concepts like touching cubes to push back a giant behind you and also how you touch them (groundpound or dash them ) unleash new techniques , the experience is another type of gameplay for the runner genre (it's not just jumping repetitevily until you die )

ioanasima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »

It's Complikated. Really, that's the name of the game. It's a scrolling tile-based puzzle with logic gates and you play as a fox.

I guess I'm what you'd call a game dev junkie.When ever I see a good movie, I separate scenes in my head: "that's cutscene, this is gameplay, oh, great QTE...". I almost play the movie in my mind. Gimme 3 rocks and a stick and I'll make you a game, even a co-op.

You can see more of it here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60591.0

1 and 0 is 0.It's a Complikated game
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Canned Turkey
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »

My game is [there isn't a title yet], it's a detective game where you play as a cat and there's jokes and France and mystery.

I am making it because I like rpg style games and I think the detective genre is underappreciated, also I like drawing and there's a lot of stuff to draw for a whole town.

I want the player to experience actually solving a mystery on their own initiative and enjoy having played through a fun story.
ioanasima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »

Smiley))))))))))))))))

1 and 0 is 0.It's a Complikated game
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:32:31 AM »

In my game you defend the king with your chess pieces by killing incoming dungeon monsters.

Making it because I drew some nice pixelart chess pieces, and also wanted to make some kind of un-normal chess game (I forgot which came first). Inspired my "Battle Chess" on the Amiga, "You Loose Chess" (itch.io) and the chess board game.

I want the player to feel like he/she doesn't suck at chess. And just have some good old fashioned fun slaying monsters and getting gobbled up. Making it juicy as possible so it's not as boring looking&sounding as normal chess, improving my art skills along the way. As with all my games I'm trying to make unique gameplay, not another platformer or sth that's been done before hundreds of times.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:44:03 AM by melerski » Logged

Giant_Gamer
Level 0

My 2nd language is SmileBASIC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »

-What is your game?
A.S.T.E.R.O.G.U.E.
A 3DS "SmileBASIC" upcoming release, text based, Asteroids mashed with Space Invaders.

I'm making the game for the SmileBASIC spring programing competition, that requires a game theme around the word "flight".
I was inspired by the early arcade games, in addition my programing skills have been slowly getting better with practice, to the point that I thought I should attempt a real-time game for the first time.

I want the player to feel the power to stop the unseen aliens in UFO's that want to mindlessly destroy all humans.
The artistic purpose is to have the opening movie show most of the story in less then 7 actual words. Along with the minimal graphical presentation to incur a level of nostalgia from those who remember the simple graphical capabilities of the arcade days.

The deadline for the competition is May 31st. If you want to see the finished game and all the upcoming entries(we all had one month) you would need:

|a 3DS/2DS/n3DS
|a copy of SmileBASIC (note: all programs released on SmileBASIC are free and can be downloaded in all regions, how ever the main program of SmileBASIC is only available to download in USA and JAPAN e-shops)
|an internet connection
|and the download key(s)

G_G

I am the artist for my brother's upcoming game, our development blog is at Game-Blocks.com
redredred
Level 0

Colorful worlds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »

My game is a roguelike digger called Below the World. Binding of Isaac-like in sense with the bosses and items, but it's a 3rd person game. 

I'm making it for practice. I don't have a plan for it. It's just for practice. Although, I would like for it to go somewhere. Depends if others like it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic