Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:55:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow to get ideas
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to get ideas  (Read 997 times)
Piecraft
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »

Hello! I'm a new developer, and I've never released a video game for money, just a bunch of free ones. But I wanna start work on a video to try to get up on to steam, and sell for money. But the problem is I have no idea what to make, and I have no idea how to get ideas. Does anyone have good ways or tips to help get ideas for a game to make?
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »

I thought ideas are the easy part :D

Try this https://twitter.com/gameideamachine

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »

ask a marketing professional what's hot these days then start working on the exact inverse

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

Ideas are non-computable, there is no algorithm you can apply that guarantees delivery of useful ideas. You either have a good idea or you don't. Some people get precious ideas on their toilet. That's life, baby.

However you can increase the chance of getting ideas. There is learning. You can learn from the already established pool of games or other influences in life. So play games and extract the ideas behind them. The more ideas you add to your personal pool the more likely you will come up with your own after some tangent brain-sparks.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »

Ideas are some of the hardest things to generate sometimes. People go through writer's block and burnout like candles to a flame.
Personally I like attaching ideas to an emotional response. Eg: If I like the idea being implemented, If an idea makes me laugh because I thought of a joke etc. There's my two cents. Good luck.

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »

take a long shit
VRex7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »

Lots of good points in this thread. I think you should take some time to play what's doing well, take a look at what is being Greenlit on Steam, read comments, get an understanding of what players want and figure out how you can make those things happen with a game. It's not easy, ideas are tough for this industry, but one good one is really worth a lot.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »

walkautside

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »

"video"  "money".  "no idea"
I've highlighted the important part of your quote.

Why do you want to make game for money, Because it would be cool to do something fun?

I recently realized that trying to plan out my development was seriously hampering my development so I gave up trying to "make game for money". I released an update for my most polished game on itch.io for free, shared it at dev-meetups and have gone my merry way onto the next game which will also be free. The stress just isn't worth it for me.

Figure out how to get a vast audience with your free games then figure out the business side.

I think you are totally wrong in thinking that games are ideas. Games are not ideas. Videogame is code. Learn to code, learn to design by doing, it's a heuristic process not something you can write an essay on. See previous paragraph: get a thousand people to download your game (maybe you have already?) and then start thinking about "monetizing".

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »

Ideas? They grow on special trees I was told. Still looking to find those tress though...

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »

The problem is that there is a big difference between an idea that is within your actual ability to see it through verses an idea way outside any abilities you could even hope to develop in a reasonable manner, and it isn't always clear which is which as we tend to way overestimate or underestimate what we can do and the time we can do it in. I explore all ideas, regardless of whether or not I can actually do anything with them or not, because it can lead to some really cool breakthroughs but I've had to get better about what I actually choose to undertake as a project. Even when something is within my abilities it can still be beyond the time I have free to work on it, beyond my emotional stability, beyond my attention span, etc.

That all said, once you have a fair idea of what you can actually afford (in time, energy, or finances) ideas are pretty easy to come by, it is worthwhile ideas that are tricky. To get to a worthwhile idea you're going to have to explore a lot of bad ideas and squish ideas together and tear pieces of ideas apart and Frankenstein that shit over and over. Eventually you'll find yourself coming back to the same sort of direction over and over and that is when you are potentially on the trail of something good.

There's nothing wrong with using the ideas of others as ingredients, nearly everything we do is some kind of combination of things done before. How you choose to go about combining and what you choose to go about combining is where your originality and personality come into play, it's what will make the project feel like it is uniquely coming from your perspective and tastes.

If all else fails, you can apply the approach of one of those "fusion memes" and take three established ideas and see the ways you could combine them:

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »

CURSED IMAGE|CURSED IMAGE|CURSED IMAGE|CURSED IMAGE

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

delete it

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »

Now that you have witnessed the image the futility of existence has been revealed to you and all hope is forever denied to you. Despair is all that is left for us now. Despair, and Mighty Number 9.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic