Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:28:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRightrealm - 2D Action RPG (Pre-alpha Available!)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rightrealm - 2D Action RPG (Pre-alpha Available!)  (Read 4672 times)
vybr
Level 0

Twitter: @vyybr

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »

Equipment tooltips now have small symbols to quickly compare stats. The arrows obviously show if the stat is higher or lower than the equipped item. The blue dot indicates that the stat is not on the equipped item (or if it's equal, which is unlikely to happen since stats are random).

I also made the arena for boss battles in the desert biome. For this I made use of a super simple shader (first time I've used one) that scrolls a texture repeatedly to create a sandstorm-y effect. There are also separated chunks of land in the distance to emphasize the "floating land" look I was going for.

I'm also creating new weapon animations for every class. I was previously using pixel art animations but will now be moving to keyframe animations instead as it looks better and is necessary for when I add weapon and armour skins in the future (no need to animate every skin).
Right now I've created animations for the Elementalist and Berserker. The Berserker animations need work so I won't show them yet...

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »

That wizard looks adorable

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »

I've began work on a custom editor tool for Rightrealm as my current workflow for adding new items/buffs/skills etc. is not really sustainable.

It's quite sloppy looking at the moment as you can tell, I may clean it up once it is fully functional.

For anyone curious, I'm using Godot to create it.

Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »

Looks great, keep it up, just commenting here to follow!

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »

Hey guys! Sorry for the long silence. I have been working on a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff which is not entirely interesting to show off... but I’ll do it anyway.

Menu's and Screen's Galore
A large part of the work I’ve been doing over the past few weeks has consisted of creating/fixing up menu’s and UI elements. Usually I dislike this part of game development, but it was quite enjoyable this time around.

In addition, a little extra work was done to make sure Rightrealm works well with widescreen monitors. Thankfully it wasn't much work at all.

Task Rewards

I’ve finally implemented rewards for completing tasks. They award you with the game’s main currency which are called Amirites (see what I did there?).
Keys will be the secondary currency in the game. Though they haven’t yet been implemented as I’m still trying to figure out their exact uses and how they are obtained (in not-boring ways).

For now, only one task exists in the game: Kill All Enemies. Future updates will bring more interesting tasks for the player to complete.

Skill Iconsss
Skill Icons for the Berserker and Elementalist. I’m quite happy with how they turned out (mostly the Elementalist ones). 16x16 sprites can be tough work sometimes.
Maybe you can guess what the skills do based on their icons?

All skills have been implemented too. I have posted gifs on twitter showcasing some skills a while back, so I’ll need to repost them here and record some new ones.

Player death

As you can see, to revive at the place you died you must pay 10% of the amirites you are currently holding, which can be a hefty amount for wealthy players.
Also, the spirit that spawns on death sticks around forever to remind you of your bad you are Smiley

First Items
The first set of items added to the game are potions. Nothing amazing, but a necessary addition to sustain yourself in combat. They restore a percentage of your health (because that’s easier to balance than a flat amount) and have a cooldown so you aren’t spamming them mindlessly.

(values are still being tweaked)

If it wasn’t obvious, the demo will only include the Berserker and Elementalist classes. The Ranger was the first class I worked on, but the skills I had originally made for it weren’t all that fun. After the demo is released, I will be working on the Ranger to release with a content update and transition into Early Access.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »

Man this looks really awesome. That phoenix magic from the mage  Shocked

Definitely keeping an eye on this! There is also something I like about the smaller sprites, kinda Risk of Rain. If you need some cool chiptune give me a ring  Wink
vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 05:00:42 AM »

Man this looks really awesome. That phoenix magic from the mage  Shocked

Definitely keeping an eye on this! There is also something I like about the smaller sprites, kinda Risk of Rain. If you need some cool chiptune give me a ring  Wink

Thank you Smiley The phoenix seems to be a favourite, I'm happy it turned out well.

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »

I'm currently testing skills and player stats and making small balance changes.

There were a few problems with how stats were calculated, with this being my first RPG (and third game overall) I never noticed it until now.

The player's base stats shared the same values as equipment of the same level. Meaning you could have 50 attack at level 10 and a level 10 weapon will have around 50 attack also. Enemies also use the same stat calculations with extra multipliers.
This is a problem because once you obtain a piece of equipment with a certain stat, you'll essentially double or triple that stat's base value which means you could end up demolishing an enemy the same level as you just with 2 pieces of gear.

Another problem I had was how much stats increase per level. I want it to be high enough so that you feel stronger after leveling up, but not too strong where enemies 1 level below you become trivial. I think I've found a decent balance.

To fix this I've put more weight on base stats and less on equipment. In addition, weapons and armour have special multipliers (e.g. weapons have half as much HP as armour) to avoid the player becoming unkillable monsters. I think I have found a decent balance, but it's something I'll work on over time.

Al_B
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »

Were you inspired by games like Magicite and RogueLands? I'm not saying your copying these game, but graphically it looks similar.

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 02:17:58 AM »

Were you inspired by games like Magicite and RogueLands? I'm not saying your copying these game, but graphically it looks similar.

Nope. I know of those games but have never played them.

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »

The Demo
Hello all. I've been hard at work finishing off the demo for Rightrealm. It is pretty much complete, though there are just a one or two things that need to be done first before I release it.

I will be hosting it on itch.io and it should be available in a few days!
An announcement will be posted here and on my twitter (@vyybr).

Last Minute Additions

The logo
I didn't put much thought into it (had no solid ideas) but it turned out better than I thought it would. I'll be tweaking it over time.

Notifiers
The blue and gold button appears when the player has skill points. Every player starts out with a single skill point to learn a skill with. A skill point is also gained every 4 levels.
The pink/purple button notifies the player when they have completed a realm (or no realm exists) and prompts them to make a new one.

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »

Liked it

The first thing that attracts me is art. I like the harmony of colors.
Followed by mechanics ... as previously commented, this multiplayer game would be a lot of fun.

I have not failed to notice that you are using Godot ... does it give you everything you need for this game?

I'm currently doing a 2D game at Unity. I had some work to do a 2D game with her. But now that I'm programming the features is flowing well.

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »

The first thing that attracts me is art. I like the harmony of colors.
Followed by mechanics ... as previously commented, this multiplayer game would be a lot of fun.

I have not failed to notice that you are using Godot ... does it give you everything you need for this game?

I'm currently doing a 2D game at Unity. I had some work to do a 2D game with her. But now that I'm programming the features is flowing well.

Thank you for the nice comment. Yeah, godot is a really good engine, it does everything I need and more. I'll be sticking with it indefinitely.

Good to hear your development is going well Grin

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

Get the Pre-Alpha Demo

https://vybr.itch.io/rightrealm

The demo is now available.
Please give it a try and leave feedback here or on the community forum (scroll down when on the store page). Also, if you have an itch account give me a follow as I will post news occasionally to the devlog on there.

vybr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »

Hello everyone. I haven’t done a proper devlog which outlines my plans and goals for the game so I’d like to take the time to do that here. I hope to do these fairly regularly, but I’m not brilliant at writing so forgive me if I start slacking.

The “Demo”
As you know, the “demo” for Rightrealm was released on August 9th. I put "demo" in quotations because it’s not really a demo, at least not yet. It is instead the pre-alpha of the game, with the bare minimum features available so players know the sort of thing they can expect from the game in the future.

The pre-alpha of the game is available for free and will receive regular updates. During this period I will also try my best to build a decent community around Rightrealm (something I’ve never done before).
Once I feel that both the game and community are decently strong, it will transition into early access as a paid game. The current version at the time of transitioning will become the demo for the game, and will not receive gameplay updates. Simple stuff.

My early plans/goals for Rightrealm
  • Players should have a clear idea on how the game’s mechanics and controls work. They should be introduced properly or be more intuitive.
  • Realms should feel less empty and have more content besides enemies.
  • Combat should feel fun and fast-paced. Monster density and stats will need to be tuned properly.
  • Amirities (the main currency) needs uses.
  • The loot hunt should be exciting and there should be other ways to obtain loot besides from enemies.
  • Players need some way to customise their gear.
  • All stats should be meaningful.
  • Introduce UI buttons, settings menu and keybindings.
  • Add one or two NPC’s to the hideout
  • Sounds!

What’s Next?
Those who have played the pre-alpha will know that the game’s environments (realms) are lacking in interesting encounters and other things to do besides combat.

Every map type/biome is planned to have its own special features which either exists only in that biome or exists everywhere once it is introduced into the game. Each biome you play in should feel different to another, otherwise the game will become monotonous.

The next update will focus on forests, where I’ll be:
  • Giving forest map generation a few upgrades to add a little more depth.
  • Reintroducing enemies that were temporarily removed from the game.
  • Adding more ways to obtain loot.
  • Making a small change to potions and their drop rates.
  • Implementing a new task to complete
  • Possibly more minor changes

This “Forest Update” (and future updates) will most likely be split into multiple smaller patches just so that improvements and bug fixes can be pushed out more frequently.

Expect part 1 of the update in a few days!

Here's preview of the changes I made to forest maps:

Camps with destroyable tents. No destroy animation yet but this uses a different health system to regular enemies. Health is instead defined by the number of hits it can take before it is destroyed.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:16:54 AM by vybr » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic