Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:04:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Looking for some advice on developing for mobile and web
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for some advice on developing for mobile and web  (Read 746 times)
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »

Ultimate noob question here, I'm looking to make a game for mobile and web (html5) and was wondering what would be a good tool for this. Before anyone directs me to google yes I have looked into it! But everything is basically new to me so it's hard to pick out the relative merits of anything. I don't know any languages anyone actually uses, but I'm not opposed to learning. My original plan was to use c# and Monogame until I realised getting the game to run in a browser would require more hacking than I'm capable of. I'd prefer a free tool because I'm just making this game for the heck of it and don't expect to make any money. I do want people to actually play it though, which is why I don't want to just pop out a .exe that not even my mom will run. Anyway here are some things I've considered using. I'd appreciate any comments on their ease of use or quality of documentation or even suggestions for something totally different!

Cocos2d-x: Seems pretty flexible, but all the different branches confuse me. The info on the official website still treats Cocos2d-JS (web, javascript) and Cocos2d-x (mobile, c++ or javascript) as two different entities, but as far as I can tell they were merged around 2016. So does that mean I could write the game in c++ and publish to both web and mobile platforms? Trying to google for an answer just turns up old threads created pre-merge. The cocos2d forums would seem like the logical place to ask this but new users are banned from posting with the advice to "spend some time reading threads first". Well I wouldn't post if any of the threads were actually relevant to what I wanted to know but after an hour of idly clicking on threads I still can't post so here we are.

Godot: Seems promising but the community seems pretty small which makes me nervous about running into unsolvable issues. Any thoughts?

Phonegap: I like the concept but has anyone actually used this? What do you think?

Unreal Engine 4: A friend of mine suggested this with a completely straight face, because it's free. I'm making a 2d pixel art game so this seems ridiculous. There do seem to be people doing this, though. Is it ridiculous?

Things I've ruled out:

Clickteam Fusion 2.5: The free edition only supports 3 frames (screens). My game is pretty tiny, but not that tiny.

Unity: Apparently handles 2d pixel art really poorly.

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

Using Unreal Engine 4 for a little 2d game is ridiculous. Especially for mobile and web. The engine and its builds are humongous. I'm sure it's possible and people do it, but it's completely overkill and will be more hassle than it's worth unless you're already invested in it.

I actually just posted my thoughts on Godot and also Defold here. (TL;DR: Godot is OK. Broad feature set, decent community, and pretty easy to learn, though its documentation is quite bad. I think its web builds kinda stink? Defold is very mobile and web focused. Pretty bug-free, great documentation and support, but a bit funky and it doesn't do a lot for you, it's more like a framework.) I don't know enough about the others to voice an opinion.

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »

Hey, thanks! Defold looks interesting but what do you mean by "a bit funky"? I might give it a try.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:01 AM »

This is being made in Unity, and I know about other crisp-looking pixel art games made with it, so you may want to take another look at its capabilities. They're probably using plugins to make it work better. Maybe you could ask them how they're making it work.

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:33:10 AM »

Haha, "funky" isn't very descriptive is it. Defold has a bit different design than the other engines I've used. You communicate between objects via "message passing". Most things are asynchronous, you don't have direct object references and call functions on them, instead every object and component has an address or "URL" and you pass named messages around. The receiving object must decide whether to respond to a message or not. As I said in the other thread, it's not limiting, it's just different than most people are used to.

Defold's object/scene organization is a little strange too. It has "Game Objects" and "Collections". A Game Object is basically an empty container with a transform(position, rotation, scale). They can have any number of components—scripts, sprites, collision objects, sounds, etc. The weird part is they can't have other game objects as children in the editor, but they can be given children at runtime. Collections have no transform and don't really exist at runtime—they mainly serve to determine an object's URL—but they can have any number of Game Objects inside them, either as a loose group or in parent-child trees. Collections can be nested infinitely in the editor, but they don't have a "physical" existence, so dynamic parent-child relationships between collections at runtime don't exist.

And it's got random other weird or missing bits, like most engines.
  • The editor is fairly minimal. A couple things that you'd expect to be able to edit can only be set via script.
  • It's a 3D engine and uses quaternion rotations. Euler rotations are not really supported at the moment, though it has helper functions for quats, so its generally not an issue.
  • It began (years ago) as a service-based thing and you still have to create projects on their server for the editor to recognize them (you can easily move them later). They're transitioning to a new editor that doesn't have that problem, but it doesn't have the build functionality yet.

Sorry if this was too specific and long-winded. I'm using Defold because it's small, fast, has few bugs, and makes it really easy to export your game for any platform. So far I can deal with its weaknesses.

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »

Just throwing some more ideas around, what about HaxeFlixel? Seems like a lot of games have been built with it with the sort of scope and feel I'm going for. It does seem more framework than engine though (not that that's necessarily a problem).

I'll probably try a few things once I have the time and see what feels best. Thanks for the info, I'm keeping it all in mind even if I have nothing specific to say in response Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic