Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:05:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUurnog? Rain World? Loot Rascals? Future Unfolding? Anyone??!?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Uurnog? Rain World? Loot Rascals? Future Unfolding? Anyone??!?  (Read 4916 times)
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »

It is generalizing, but I don't think the intent is to be dismissive even if the end result might be. I find myself saying all pop music on the radio sounds the same which is why I prefer to listen to more obscure stuff from other genres. However, to my wife and kids who actually enjoy the pop music on the radio they feel the pop music is diverse and it all has unique sounds.

That's just how it goes. Where your interests are strongest your view of the picture become the most detailed and you see a lot of diversity, where your interests are weakest you are seeing the picture in a more generalized, zoomed-out, manner and you will see things more grouped and similar.

It feels kind of weird to see this sort of garbage here, in what I normally see as a mostly supportive creative community.
By now you should know that this community also excels at hyperbole. If you take Gimmy's comment literally it might sound negative, but if you just look at the general sentiment he is pretty much saying he misses the days when experimental games held the spotlight. It's an understandable feeling.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:24:02 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »

while we're being nostalgic did any actual person think passage was a good game by any definition irl or was it all a cruel prank

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »

I thought it was good because it accomplished exactly what it set out to do, but I hated it and did not enjoy it because its message is fundamentally hopeless and useless, like most modern art it'd be comfortable sitting next to in a gallery

it's worth nobody's time. there's more meaning and love with a similar concept in harvest moon: a wonderful life

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »

pissage
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 02:12:52 PM »

while we're being nostalgic did any actual person think passage was a good game by any definition irl or was it all a cruel prank
I absolutely hated it with a passion along with any games made by Tale of Tales, but having seen so many experimental or "art" games since and having grown up a bit with my exposure to indie games I don't think they are so bad. I mean I still don't like them as far as games, or experiences, go but I don't think they are necessarily bad endeavors development-wise and obviously they resonated with others even if they didn't resonate me so there is some meaning and value there even if I didn't find it.

pissage
Is that that "art" game that covers a young boy's journey in learning to pee into the toilet for the first time? I got very emotional the first time the game let me spray the toilet seat, counters, bathtub, and shower curtains. Truly a meaningful work.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »

Do you think the short set up to demonstrate the effect of editing good or not?
 (also called kuleshov effect)

I see passage in the same way, it was good at what it set out to demonstrate, if you engage it with the right framework it's good and had lasting impact in games because it inspired idea behind game like last of us, it broaden the horizon of what's possible with game. Everything is bad with the bad framework, puzzle game will always be terrible action game, period.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »

passage's message is distinctly puritan since you can't get divorced

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »