Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:45:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhen is the earliest a publisher has ever funded one of your projects?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: When is the earliest a publisher has ever funded one of your projects?  (Read 1049 times)
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »

Many of us have dealt with publishers before.

I'm wondering how 'early' has any one of your managed to enter a publishing deal
- Completed Project, just going for distribution / marketing
- Close to release but still needed to bug-hunt
- Some kind of Alpha, needed dev money to keep things moving but the 'vertical slice' or core was solid
- Somewhere during pre-production, with some parts of the game still left to demonstrate
- Prototype
- Just off some documentation
- Elevator pitch for a a project that you basically just made up as you talked
(not a poll, any omitted choice is definitely allowed).

I'm mostly curious.
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »

I've worked for a publisher before, and the answer is going to differ depending on a lot of variables.
Is it a proven team? Has the publisher worked with them before? Then it might be really early.
Is it a senior team, but they have not worked with this particular publisher before? Might still be really early/late, depending on a lot of other things.

A new team though? Bet on late.

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:47:10 AM »

In my case, the team has ~10 years of experience in the business in some key positions in other studios (Tech Director, Creative Director, Senior Producer, etc.)
I've been offered deals earlier than I was comfortable, but would normally not consider anything before Vertical Slice, but wondering whether other people have, and what kind of results they've had (did the publisher go greedy on the rev-share, making it an unprofitable venture for the dev?), etc.
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »

With a team that senior, you can get some early offers, that's not too strange.
The earlier, the bigger share they will want though.
If the publisher are paying to the entire development, they want to be as sure as they can be that they'll get a return on their investment. Not that strange.

If you can, I would hold out until you have as much of a game as you can, to get a better deal.

Bonus advice: Talk with several publishers, talk with people they have worked with before, and if possible, hire a legal council to check contracts before you sign anything.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic