Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:15:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 38 [A SMALL WORLD] (April 21-24)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 38 [A SMALL WORLD] (April 21-24)  (Read 23164 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

THEME: A SMALL WORLD

https://ldjam.com/

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

With about ten days left now, it's time for the triannual thread!

Hand Point Right This LD will run on a new website and you need to reregister your account! Hand Point Left

LD manager PoV has written up a lot of info in this post.
Registration and alpha testing of the new platform here: https://ldjam.com/

Semicopypasted explanation of LD from last thread*:

LD is a game jam. You optionally vote for a theme in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game!

48 hours is referred to as compo and 72 as jam and they have different rules—jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team—so make sure you read the rules on the website first.

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating/commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings/comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings/comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Remember that you need to host your game yourself—the LD website does not provide this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

* Maybe some of this info will be outdated on the new platform; we'll have to see!

The best properly official Twitter hashtag these days seems to be #LDJAM, even if you're doing the compo.

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:30:52 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »

If you've got an account on the new site you can already go and help prune away some of the worst of the 3000 suggestions and help keep the ones you want before voting rounds start!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/theme

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

I'm a bit burned out on my current project right now, but I may think about trying to participate for the first time in a long time. Might make for a nice breather/change of pace. We'll see; like I said, I'm a bit burned out. Tongue
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:46:35 AM »

Slowly preparing and building up peppiness for this LD.

My "meta-goal" this time is to spend less time on code, favouring art (and possibly also them sounds). To do this I'll reuse the engine/toolkit from another project, but try to do something as different as possible with it. This will hopefully free up some time, and if successful also prove that the toolkit is as generic as i think it is.

If you've got an account on the new site you can already go and help prune away some of the worst of the 3000 suggestions and help keep the ones you want before voting rounds start!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/theme

Thanks for the reminder. I had completely forgotten about Theme Suggestions and Voting. Lots of good themes are still in the slaughter. Here's hoping one of them survives the final voting stages.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:32:52 AM »

Theme voting has begun on the new website!
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/theme/1

Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »

I'm pumped to participate in this 38th edition now that I have enough free time to do so. Can't wait to see all of your amazing entries! :D
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »

I'm tempted to participate, yet my lack of art skills always turns into a show stopper  Cry
But I'll probably end up with another tech demo again Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »

Final theme voting round is on!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:39 AM »

I'm tempted to participate, yet my lack of art skills always turns into a show stopper  Cry
Maybe the video I posted above on art tips for jams could help? ε:

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »

But that's part of why we have LD: so you can bang your head against the wall, taking small baby steps towards improvement while depriving yourself of nearly all sleep and sanity.

What were we talking about again?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »

<insert traditional complaint about how this year's final themes are the worst ever before ending up doing something neat with whatever wins in the end anyway>

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »

<insert traditional complaint about how this year's final themes are the worst ever before ending up doing something neat with whatever wins in the end anyway>

Actually I'm ok (or even happy) with most of the themes in the final round this time. A few of them seem like a bad fit platform/engine/toolkit I'm planing to use (so I gave them a -1), but other than that I can see good games coming from most of them.

With that said I may just have Jinxed it. Now we are going to get this really good theme that no one manages to do anything interesting with. In that case, my bad. Sry.

NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »

...I have every reason not to join in...

...but the temptation is very, very real...

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

Maybe the video I posted above on art tips for jams could help? ε:
thank you for sharing it, I've watched it before I started whining Smiley
I think I don't lack the skills, I just lack artistry, and that's somehow hard to learn. Perhaps I should just make a game without art :D
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »

But that's part of why we have LD: so you can bang your head against the wall, taking small baby steps towards improvement while depriving yourself of nearly all sleep and sanity.
hahaha! yeah, that's the tempting part of it.
- taking the time you don't have to waste
- either finishing a crappy game or not finishing the most awesome game you've ever _started_ to make
- Feel accomplishment like Pavlov's dog just because crunch has taught you
Smiley
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »

I'm a bit burned out on my current project right now, but I may think about trying to participate for the first time in a long time. Might make for a nice breather/change of pace. We'll see; like I said, I'm a bit burned out. Tongue

I hear professionals use game jams to get their groove back

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »

I wonder how many actually already settled with an idea and retro fit it into the theme.
Themes from the final round should be rejected the next ludum dares. It's like these would orbit around ludum dare until they finally crash land. (Inconvenient Superpowers, two colors, ...)
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »

...must resist!...

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »

...must resist!...
...resistance is futile...