Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:00:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMultidisciplinary composer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multidisciplinary composer  (Read 902 times)
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:06 AM »

Hello
So I've been composing music for a long time, however, recently I have found a passion for computer programming, and I wonder sometimes if I can really both compose music and program computers, and expect to be good at both. I wonder what others have experienced when attempting to be multidisciplinary as a composer, or just in general. Is it a drawback? An advantage? Anything I should keep in mind?

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:03:48 AM »

Nowadays, if you want to get anywhere with music composition, especially in a technology focused area of composition, you have to master more than 1 discipline. In my case, it's composing and producing.

I found though that having the knowledge to produce professionally allowed me improve my compositional abilities much faster and you might also find the same thing. Your advantage over other budding producers/programmers is that you are an experienced composer. Allow that to guide your motivation to improve your other discipline!

Just remember that it's definitely worth trying to master both. You're already miles ahead of the competition with your compositions, so imagine where you could be with more work!! Or where we all could be for that matter.

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »

I will work really hard.

I've found that my "imaginative" ability have improved lately, which comes in handy when coding, and I think it's due to my recent efforts in developing my compositional skills further. I also find the variation of brain stimulus pleasant Smiley

Also, thanks for the orchestration you did for me recently. I hope to have a new piece for you shortly

Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »

Thats awesome! The more you learn around your topic, with additional skills that complement your primary one, you will find yourself far more inspired that you could possibly imagine :D

I think it would be best if perhaps we worked you through an orchestration. of course it's up to you, but if you want to pursue your own talents it might be worth considering. Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »

I am a programmer full-time during the day, and do music composition in the evenings and over the weekends. Hasn't hindered me whatsoever.

Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 03:36:34 PM »

That's good to hear Zack. I'll pm you Jed

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic