Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:55:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe best way to spend your marketing budget?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The best way to spend your marketing budget?  (Read 856 times)
hexplay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2017, 03:58:49 AM »

Hello to all independent developers. Has anyone tried to spend all of their advertising budget on the tournament for their game? I have only $1000, and I decided to designate this all as the grand prize for the first place in my game. Really, I do not know what will come of it, but judging by the beginning, it's better than buying game traffic from advertising networks. So, what do you think?

Indie game developer inspired by the era of the 80s and 90s.
Calibanul
Level 0

Work Work Work Work Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:26:36 AM »

Haha please show your game . I want to win :D

I have never tried this but I think it's a great idea, much better than buying traffic. However have you consider show it to some expo?

hexplay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:01:17 AM »

Haha please show your game . I want to win :D

I have never tried this but I think it's a great idea, much better than buying traffic. However have you consider show it to some expo?

Thank you for your response. I will not give a link to the game, as it can be regarded as advertising. But shortly this is a very simple game in the likeness of a platform game. This is a game for casual players and not for e-sports fans. All that I want is to give this opportunity to the casual players to take part in the tournament. No teams just one vs one etc.

Indie game developer inspired by the era of the 80s and 90s.
colenator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »

I could see how running a tournament would be quite beneficial. Personally, I'm naturally competitive, so any sort of competition would encourage me to try a game, especially if it looks really fun.

The prize pool would definitely attract some people to at least give it a try. Although, I wouldn't use ALL of my marketing budget for 1 tournament. Maybe use a portion for the prize pool and another portion to attract hype for the tournament.

Dequan Wilson / Colenator
Co-founder of Avicekeys and AlphaVicely
Email | Twitter |
teemuki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »

I bet you need some budget to market the tournament itself so don't put all of it into the prize pool Smiley Would be shame if only 5 people took part in the competition and you still have to give away $1000.

I would use some of the budget to hire a freelancer to make a good promo video of your game and some money for facebook or other social network promotion. Also if you are planning to release on PC and have keys/beta keys, I would suggest to send those for Youtubers. Personally I've found Keymailer to be very effective.

If your budget is $1000, the prize pool should probably be around $500 at max. Then again this all depends on how big your fanbase is. Although with the information given, I would use more resources to reach potential players.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic