Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:07:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)3D sounds using 2D playback...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3D sounds using 2D playback...  (Read 1180 times)
TeaAndBiscuits
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »

Hello!
You may be wondering why I want to have 3D sounds but use 2D playback. For my game I want sound to propagate around corridors so that the player may follow the sound back to its source. I could use built in 3D sound playback BUT I am just fighting against existing features like roll-off and volume by calculating and setting them manually. It seems to me that as I need to calculate these anyway I would be better off manipulating the 2D sound settings.

So using 2D playback to simulate 3D I will do the following: set the pan of the sound as I move around and adjust the volume depending upon my distance from the source.

Short question. Am I missing anything? Or will this be enough? I have no audio theory under my belt so any suggestions of any type welcome  Beer!

-T&B

P.S. A little extra info I am using irrKlang for my sound playback.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »

By 3D sound are you referring to playing sound on more than left/right channels? If so, then what you are asking is irrelevant.

Most audio frameworks have a disconnect between how audio is represented within the game and actually played. What you are planning to do is program what sits between the game representation and playback, which is exactly what audio frameworks already do with the position/roll-off/etc. settings you'd be setting.

Most frameworks handle the number of speaker channels automatically, and if I remember correctly irrKlang handles this automatically.

Anyway, I don't really know what you'd gain from doing all that manually. If you set your values properly it should play properly no matter how many speaker channels you have configured, with the bonus that you'll be able to have proper 3d sound past 2 speaker channels.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic